Cruise Critic Community
Galley Slave

Condition of the Rotterdam

There are some concerns expressed in the Ship Reviews under the header Research.  Has anyone who has been onboard recently heard about or noticed problems with the ship.  Rust would not bother me, but plumbing, AC and heat issues would keep me from booking if they were widespread.

What are the dates on those reviews?   I was on her for 14 days last summer and did not notice any of those problems.  I'm booked for this summer as well and board in 20 days.  

There was a drydock done in the fall of 2017.   See if the reviews were from before drydock or after.

We sailed rotterdam in April  2019 & there was no problems what so ever .  Food & service was excellent as always on a HAL ship

30 minutes ago, dfish said:

What are the dates on those reviews?   I was on her for 14 days last summer and did not notice any of those problems.  I'm booked for this summer as well and board in 20 days.  

There was a drydock done in the fall of 2017.   See if the reviews were from before drydock or after.

Some of the reviews were from April and May of 2019.  There is a mix of good and bad reviews.  I think people write reviews if they had a very good or very bad experience!

I was on the ms Rotterdam in May 2018 and will board her again next Sunday without any doubt about her health. For the 8th time and (if I count right) the 112th day on this flagship of HAL. 

Posted (edited)

The Rotterdam will be going in for a drydock on Dec 8, 2019.    That may take care of any discrepancies noted by some CC members.  One of the changes they will make is the destruction of the "Mix" area, including the traditional single piano bar.   They will be installing Billboard Onboard into that combined area of the Champagne Bar, Martini Bar, and the Piano Bar.   I am sad to see one of the last few traditional piano bars in the HAL fleet go the way of Billboard Corp,  but, as we know, all areas on a ship must make enough revenue to justify their space.   One thing for sure, we will not be entertained by such piano bar greats as Barry from Boston.   We now will have dueling pianos, 2 musicians that in most instances have never performed together until they have boarded the ship.   Sometimes you get lucky and they work well together.  Other times, not so good.

Edited by TAD2005

10 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

The Rotterdam will be going in for a drydock on Dec 8, 2019.    That may take care of any discrepancies noted by some CC members.  One of the changes they will make is the destruction of the "Mix" area, including the traditional single piano bar.   They will be installing Billboard Onboard into that combined area of the Champagne Bar, Martini Bar, and the Piano Bar.   I am sad to see one of the last few traditional piano bars in the HAL fleet go the way of Billboard Corp,  but, as we know, all areas on a ship must make enough revenue to justify their space.   One thing for sure, we will not be entertained by such piano bar greats as Barry from Boston.   We now will have dueling pianos, 2 musicians that in most instances have never performed together until they have boarded the ship.   Sometimes you get lucky and they work well together.  Other times, not so good.

There must be a mistake somewhere because according to schedule, Rotterdam is sailing out of FLL on Dec. 06, 2019 for a 15 nights Panama canal cruise, ending in San Diego... i do not see anywhere that the cruise is cancelled.

6 hours ago, Galley Slave said:

Some of the reviews were from April and May of 2019.  There is a mix of good and bad reviews.  I think people write reviews if they had a very good or very bad experience!

I think you're correct and that people are more likely to come here and do a review if they've had a bad experience.   I've read reviews of ships I was planning to board and never would have if I had believed the reviews.   In each case, I had a wonderful cruise. 

2 hours ago, FrankieSue said:

There must be a mistake somewhere because according to schedule, Rotterdam is sailing out of FLL on Dec. 06, 2019 for a 15 nights Panama canal cruise, ending in San Diego... i do not see anywhere that the cruise is cancelled.

No worries! Rotterdam is not scheduled for dry-dock this year; her last was 25 Oct - 03 Nov 2017

Posted (edited)
On 7/29/2019 at 9:54 PM, Copper10-8 said:

No worries! Rotterdam is not scheduled for dry-dock this year; her last was 25 Oct - 03 Nov 2017

What happened to the scheduled installation of Billboard Onboard as listed in the attached ship facilities chart ?  If the "Mix" will still be on the Rotterdam in October, 2020, I will be a happy camper !!

image.thumb.png.b75d722e642fec09dcf6b6f949925e75.png

HAL_Ships_at_a_Glance_Chart.pdf

Edited by TAD2005