No taking advantage of new promotions?

Hi all,

This is my first time sailing RCI, and I book through a travel agent.

I booked my grand suite with large balcony for a November sailing, back in February. I'm still before my final payment.

It was kids sale for less, and 100 OBC. Now with the current WOW sale, kids sale free, and $300 OBC for suites, so naturally I asked my TA if she could get us the new promotions on our booking, and she said that because there were no more grand suites with large balcony left that I am not eligible for the new promotions.

Is this true?

I thought there was a way to take advantage of new promotions, even when there was no inventory left of the same exact stateroom category.  Hopefully Ken will see this and comment.

Also, if the fake base price has changed, then you might be looking at a higher price to get the new promo.

I'm not Ken, but I'll do my best to answer:

There tend to be two different ways that a cabin is marked as sold out (at least on the travel agent site) There is Waitlisted (0) which has a price available but says there are no rooms available to be booked. There is also "Closed" which has no price listed.

In my experience I have been able to get price drops applied when the status is Waitlisted but not when the status is Closed. In the case of the November 9th Anthem sailing, Grand Suite with Large Balcony is currently listed as Closed.

It MAY be a case dependent on the phone agent when you call in (sometimes the phone agents can do more than regular travel agents can) but it definitely can't be applied directly from the travel agent site like most promo updates.

AotS119.JPG

1 minute ago, awestover89 said:

I'm not Ken, but I'll do my best to answer:

There tend to be two different ways that a cabin is marked as sold out (at least on the travel agent site) There is Waitlisted (0) which has a price available but says there are no rooms available to be booked. There is also "Closed" which has no price listed.

In my experience I have been able to get price drops applied when the status is Waitlisted but not when the status is Closed. In the case of the November 9th Anthem sailing, Grand Suite with Large Balcony is currently listed as Closed.

It MAY be a case dependent on the phone agent when you call in (sometimes the phone agents can do more than regular travel agents can) but it definitely can't be applied directly from the travel agent site like most promo updates.

AotS119.JPG

Awesome information!

Do you suggest I can call RCI directly to talk about my reservation instead of my TA?

3 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

Awesome information!

Do you suggest I can call RCI directly to talk about my reservation instead of my TA?

Your TA is mistaken. They however will need to call RCI as they can't do this on Espresso when there is no more inventory. Again, it's still VERY do-able, they just have to make a phone call. 

Edited by SamTimeDining
Just now, SilentHill said:

Awesome information!

No, Royal won't talk to you directly. The TA _might_ be able to call in and get a price drop applied, but they can't do it themselves like they normally would for a price drop. I don't know if the phone agents can apply a price drop when status is set to closed or not, but TA's (to the best of my knowledge) are unable to do so.

You can contact your TA and ask them to call Royal and try to check the price, but there's no guarantee that the phone agent will be able to see a price or not, and if they can there's no guarantee that the price will be lower. For example, in my screenshot you can see the Grand Loft that's waitlisted is quite a bit more expensive than the Owner's Loft, which is usually priced higher. Often (but not always) when a room category is sold out the hidden "base price" that the discounts are applied to goes up.

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

Looks like Anthem 11/9/19 according to the OP's post history

Ah ok. GBs are CLOSED for that sailing, so this may be a no go. HOWEVER, depending on what the OP payed, maybe an Owners Suite, with the current promotion, is a better deal now?

1 hour ago, SilentHill said:

Hi all,

This is my first time sailing RCI, and I book through a travel agent.

I booked my grand suite with large balcony for a November sailing, back in February. I'm still before my final payment.

It was kids sale for less, and 100 OBC. Now with the current WOW sale, kids sale free, and $300 OBC for suites, so naturally I asked my TA if she could get us the new promotions on our booking, and she said that because there were no more grand suites with large balcony left that I am not eligible for the new promotions.

Is this true?

It happened to me on Princess. Since there was nothing left to sell in my category and no category to upgrade me to, I wasn’t eligible for a fare adjustment. 

I can see their point. 

52 minutes ago, SamTimeDining said:

Ah ok. GBs are CLOSED for that sailing, so this may be a no go. HOWEVER, depending on what the OP payed, maybe an Owners Suite, with the current promotion, is a better deal now?

My TA called and got a manager, I could have gotten the promo, but since the category is closed the price was so much more that it would have resulted in a net loss for me. My TA had called and they told them we cant re-price, but the manager explained that the rep was mistaken and that i could have, but i would have ended up paying more.

Owners suite would be a LOT more.

9 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

My TA called and got a manager, I could have gotten the promo, but since the category is closed the price was so much more that it would have resulted in a net loss for me. ...

That's what I had suspected.

14 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

My TA called and got a manager, I could have gotten the promo, but since the category is closed the price was so much more that it would have resulted in a net loss for me. My TA had called and they told them we cant re-price, but the manager explained that the rep was mistaken and that i could have, but i would have ended up paying more.

Owners suite would be a LOT more.

Just for future reference if there had been cabins available you always get re-priced at the rate on the day that you apply the new promo.  It's not just a matter of adding the new promo to the booking

Booking early often trumps any sales later on. I did manage to save almost $900 on a rebooking with a kids sale free promotion but the cruise was still over a year away. And my TA did all the work.