Cruise Critic Community
pirate4me2

New to MSC, I have lots of questions!

Hello all!

I have been on 18 Carnival cruises, and I decided that it is time to change things up and try a new line. I had heard of MSC before and I really like that Yacht Club idea, so next year myself, my husband, and my parents are going to try the Seaside! I am really looking forward to it, but I have tons of questions that I am hoping you all will be able to help me with.

First off...I see the Yacht Club includes our drinks....does that mean alcohol and non-alcohol? Mom doesn't drink alcohol but LOVES her specialty coffees, a soda now and then, and maybe a bottle of water. Would those be included?

Secondly, how many elegant/formal nights are on a week long cruise? On non-elegant nights, how dressy to people dress in the Yacht Club restaurant? I do not want to be rude/disrespectful of others, but I am also hoping I don't need to pack a ton of dress clothes!

We are looking at doing a YC Interior cabin...do you have any specific cabins you would recommend/avoid? Or are they all the same/no bad location?

Regarding shows/comedy...do we need to make reservations like I have seen on some other lines we have considered? I really am not crazy about the idea of having to plan out my evening while on vacation, that is part of what I like about Carnival...we can just be spontaneous!

This question is absolutely crazy that I have to ask, but my husband is dying to know...do they have ice cream/frozen yogurt available free of charge? Yes, he is a big kid, I have seen him come in at 7 a.m. with a cone as a pre-breakfast snack. I don't eat the stuff, but he devours it on vacation.

Finally, I read somewhere that we have to sign up for the gym...is this true? Is there a charge to use the exercise machines and  showers? Once we sign up, so we get a bracelet/pass of some kind? I also see we have access to certain spa amenities...what are they?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am a huge planner and am already devouring any and all info I can about this "new" cruiseline for us. I want to be as prepared as possible for next September. I'm super excited to try MSC and hope that we fall in love with it!

First off, bless your heart for doing 18 carny trips.  We were a one and done many years ago.

We've done two Seaside YC this year.  Can't beat the service.  Dress is nice on formal nights at least.  Like dress pants and collared shirt.

Avoid YIN 18031.  Our kids had that room and it smelled like sewage in and around.  The YIN showers are small like coffin size but other than that, the room is great.

I am new myself, but from research, it appears the YC is about as close to all-inclusive as you can get on the open seas right now.  My wife and I just booked an Interior YC cabin on the Seaside for next year on Saturday, so welcome to the club!

We got hooked on this by watching the Sean and Stef IRL set of videos from the Seaside last year, specifically their Ship Tour video.  They absolutely loved the trip, and I would recommend watching them yourself.  They stayed in an Interior YC room as well, so it would give you a great idea on what to expect.

From what I gathered on their set of videos, its pretty much all-inclusive.  Ice Cream/Gelato is complimentary to at least the YC passengers, and your mom will be able to get as many authentic Italian espressos and cappuccinos as she wants.  From the videos, it looks like when its not Elegant nights, it looks like standard business casual will pass in the YC.

Also worth noting the mini-bar in your cabin is also complimentary, which should include some sodas, waters, beers, a couple airplane bottles of liquor, and some snacks.

You get complimentary access to the Thermal Spa, which Sean and Stef have a great video of them going through it all.  I can't stress again to just watch their playlist that I linked above, as it really does help give you a better visual on what to expect, especially for your specific questions. 

18 minutes ago, Beardface said:

I am new myself, but from research, it appears the YC is about as close to all-inclusive as you can get on the open seas right now.  My wife and I just booked an Interior YC cabin on the Seaside for next year on Saturday, so welcome to the club!

We got hooked on this by watching the Sean and Stef IRL set of videos from the Seaside last year, specifically their Ship Tour video.  They absolutely loved the trip, and I would recommend watching them yourself.  They stayed in an Interior YC room as well, so it would give you a great idea on what to expect.

From what I gathered on their set of videos, its pretty much all-inclusive.  Ice Cream/Gelato is complimentary to at least the YC passengers, and your mom will be able to get as many authentic Italian espressos and cappuccinos as she wants.  From the videos, it looks like when its not Elegant nights, it looks like standard business casual will pass in the YC.

Also worth noting the mini-bar in your cabin is also complimentary, which should include some sodas, waters, beers, a couple airplane bottles of liquor, and some snacks.

You get complimentary access to the Thermal Spa, which Sean and Stef have a great video of them going through it all.  I can't stress again to just watch their playlist that I linked above, as it really does help give you a better visual on what to expect, especially for your specific questions. 

Thank you SO MUCH for posting that, I will check the videos out tonight when I get home! I am so excited for this, we have loved our Carnival cruises but things were getting kind of....well, repetitive. I am looking forward to "spicing things up" by trying a new line, and I really hope we love it. I am a little nervous about the unknown, but I told my husband we may just find a new favorite cruise line, or one that we can at least alternate with to keep things fresh. The YC looks awesome. I submitted our status match, I just have to wait to get that back and then we are booking!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, pirate4me2 said:

Hello all!

I have been on 18 Carnival cruises, and I decided that it is time to change things up and try a new line. I had heard of MSC before and I really like that Yacht Club idea, so next year myself, my husband, and my parents are going to try the Seaside! I am really looking forward to it, but I have tons of questions that I am hoping you all will be able to help me with.

First off...I see the Yacht Club includes our drinks....does that mean alcohol and non-alcohol? Mom doesn't drink alcohol but LOVES her specialty coffees, a soda now and then, and maybe a bottle of water. Would those be included? Yes to all.

Secondly, how many elegant/formal nights are on a week long cruise? On non-elegant nights, how dressy to people dress in the Yacht Club restaurant? I do not want to be rude/disrespectful of others, but I am also hoping I don't need to pack a ton of dress clothes!  Two formal if desired, but the dress code in the YC for all evenings are the same; dressy casual.

We are looking at doing a YC Interior cabin...do you have any specific cabins you would recommend/avoid? Or are they all the same/no bad location? Cannot help with inside cabins of any ship.

Regarding shows/comedy...do we need to make reservations like I have seen on some other lines we have considered? I really am not crazy about the idea of having to plan out my evening while on vacation, that is part of what I like about Carnival...we can just be spontaneous! Yes, but not difficult at all. I made all of ours soon after boarding. Can make changes later if needed. All reservations are made via MSC's APP.  BTW - - The YC has a reserved section, but still need to make reservations to get in the door.

This question is absolutely crazy that I have to ask, but my husband is dying to know...do they have ice cream/frozen yogurt available free of charge? Yes, he is a big kid, I have seen him come in at 7 a.m. with a cone as a pre-breakfast snack. I don't eat the stuff, but he devours it on vacation. I think so but really do not remember. Most of the questions here on CC are regarding gelato. In the YC, your wish is almost always available.

Finally, I read somewhere that we have to sign up for the gym...is this true? Is there a charge to use the exercise machines and  showers? Once we sign up, so we get a bracelet/pass of some kind? I also see we have access to certain spa amenities...what are they? Gym is open for all as far as I know. There are classes available I believe. No problem, since you will be in the YC, you will be in the Spa all day anyway LOL. Gyms are not my thing....

Sorry for all the questions, but I am a huge planner and am already devouring any and all info I can about this "new" cruiseline for us. I want to be as prepared as possible for next September. I'm super excited to try MSC and hope that we fall in love with it!

Edited by sptrout

Posted (edited)

Looks like most of your questions have been answered. Here's a bit of clarification.

The gelato was included in the past but there have been certain reports that it is no longer part of your package. Since I got all the gelato I wanted, I never paid attention to other ice cream options. I know they serve it as dessert in the dining room

We have sailed B2B in a YC inside twice now. It is small but all we use it for is sleep and changing clothes.

As for the gym, you need to sign a waiver at which time they will put a small sticker on your wristband indicating you can use the gym. Treadmills, weights, machines, etc are included. You will have to pay for specialty classes such as spinning. The gym does NOT have shower facilities. You'll need to go back to your cabin or the thermal area (included) to shower.

There is a special section in the main showroom for YC guests...... but it is in the very back. The shows are worth seeing and we always make reservations, show up a tad early and get the seats we want. If you cannot make your reservation time, there is always the YC section as a fallback for different showtimes.

I'm sure you are aware of the MSC Status Match program. With all of your Carnival trips (shudder) you should be able to score a decent MSC status. This entitles you to 5% off fares.... and a few other niceties.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Edited by shukapaw

We are also coming up on our first MSC/ YC experience in February on Meraviglia.  Thanks for the answers above...I had one or two of the same questions. 

What about WIFI?  Is there a cost for it in YC? 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DiamondDiva said:

We are also coming up on our first MSC/ YC experience in February on Meraviglia.  Thanks for the answers above...I had one or two of the same questions. 

WiFi is one of the only things not included in YC, so you'd have to buy one of the internet packages.

Edited by Beamafar

7 minutes ago, DiamondDiva said:

WiFi is not included (unless it was part of a specific promotion at the time of your booking) 

~Brian

1 hour ago, pirate4me2 said:

Hello all!

First off...I see the Yacht Club includes our drinks....does that mean alcohol and non-alcohol? Mom doesn't drink alcohol but LOVES her specialty coffees, a soda now and then, and maybe a bottle of water. Would those be included? - Absolutely yes! Almost all the non alcoholic drinks and nearly all the alcoholic, except for very top shelf items.

Secondly, how many elegant/formal nights are on a week long cruise? On non-elegant nights, how dressy to people dress in the Yacht Club restaurant? I do not want to be rude/disrespectful of others, but I am also hoping I don't need to pack a ton of dress clothes! - Generally 2 nights per cruise. Compliance to the suggested dress code may depend upon your sailing average demographics, but generally for such a regular European sailing MSC guests tend to be more relaxed or casual than the ones on the more American lines even on "formal" nights. Some nice cloths will do the trick with no problem at all even on formal nights!...

We are looking at doing a YC Interior cabin...do you have any specific cabins you would recommend/avoid? Or are they all the same/no bad location? - I have never experienced Seaside class of ships, but according to what we can see on Youtube videos and read here in CC, bear in mind that all those YIN cabins are roughly the same size of any other mainline cruise ship insides, just with better furniture, equipment and amenities offered.

Regarding shows/comedy...do we need to make reservations like I have seen on some other lines we have considered? I really am not crazy about the idea of having to plan out my evening while on vacation, that is part of what I like about Carnival...we can just be spontaneous! - There are some conflicting reviews on that. I suggest that you ask the concierge desk when you check in with them. They will likely to be more than happy to assist you on that!...

This question is absolutely crazy that I have to ask, but my husband is dying to know...do they have ice cream/frozen yogurt available free of charge? Yes, he is a big kid, I have seen him come in at 7 a.m. with a cone as a pre-breakfast snack. I don't eat the stuff, but he devours it on vacation. - Unless things have changed since last year... Generally speaking there are no soft serve machines aboard the MSC ships... They used to offer some ice cream as a buffet dessert offering during meal time, but that was it... Gelato has also been removed from the drinks packages for quite a while now; but, it seems that at least on the US sailings they remain offering it from Venchi to YC guests!...

Finally, I read somewhere that we have to sign up for the gym...is this true? Is there a charge to use the exercise machines and  showers? Once we sign up, so we get a bracelet/pass of some kind? I also see we have access to certain spa amenities...what are they? - Yes! The gym is free but you MUST check in with the gym monitor to gain access. They will put a sticker on your cruise card. Sometimes when the monitor is not in place, they might to have the security guys verifying cards at the door. As per the SPA you will gain access to the usual sauna, steam room and relaxation area. Don't know exactly what kind of equipment they have available on those ships.

See my answers in blue! Have a nice day and a lovely sailing!... Bear in mind though that the YC is another entirely different beast than whatever Carnival has on offer!... Think like a more classical way of travelling coupled with a more international vibe from the multinational guests mix!... You'll have a very nice time!... 🙂

17 hours ago, shukapaw said:

Looks like most of your questions have been answered. Here's a bit of clarification.

The gelato was included in the past but there have been certain reports that it is no longer part of your package. Since I got all the gelato I wanted, I never paid attention to other ice cream options. I know they serve it as dessert in the dining room

We have sailed B2B in a YC inside twice now. It is small but all we use it for is sleep and changing clothes.

As for the gym, you need to sign a waiver at which time they will put a small sticker on your wristband indicating you can use the gym. Treadmills, weights, machines, etc are included. You will have to pay for specialty classes such as spinning. The gym does NOT have shower facilities. You'll need to go back to your cabin or the thermal area (included) to shower.

There is a special section in the main showroom for YC guests...... but it is in the very back. The shows are worth seeing and we always make reservations, show up a tad early and get the seats we want. If you cannot make your reservation time, there is always the YC section as a fallback for different showtimes.

I'm sure you are aware of the MSC Status Match program. With all of your Carnival trips (shudder) you should be able to score a decent MSC status. This entitles you to 5% off fares.... and a few other niceties.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Thanks for the info. I did submit a status match, I am Platinum on CCL so I think that will transfer to gold on MSC. I am awaiting the confirmation to book the cruise to get that 5% discount.

17 hours ago, Beamafar said:

WiFi is one of the only things not included in YC, so you'd have to buy one of the internet packages.

On the MSC USA site it mentions WiFi is included...I guess we need to find out if it is or isn't!

17 hours ago, shukapaw said:

WiFi is not included (unless it was part of a specific promotion at the time of your booking) 

~Brian

It says it is on the MSC USA site?

16 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

See my answers in blue! Have a nice day and a lovely sailing!... Bear in mind though that the YC is another entirely different beast than whatever Carnival has on offer!... Think like a more classical way of travelling coupled with a more international vibe from the multinational guests mix!... You'll have a very nice time!... 🙂

Thank you for the answers! YC seems similar to Carnival's Havana area on their new ships, but with even more amenities! I cannot wait to experience this. I am looking forward to the international vibe.

1 minute ago, pirate4me2 said:

On the MSC USA site it mentions WiFi is included...I guess we need to find out if it is or isn't!

Actually ... it was reported on here recently that MSC is to include a WiFi package for YC guests, but, IIRC, it'll be introduced for sailings in 2020, which may apply to you if you do book for next year.  We have a YC booking for September 2020 but I booked prior to the date that it'll be included from.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Actually ... it was reported on here recently that MSC is to include a WiFi package for YC guests, but, IIRC, it'll be introduced for sailings in 2020, which may apply to you if you do book for next year.  We have a YC booking for September 2020 but I booked prior to the date that it'll be included from.

You are correct, I think it starts in April or May of 2020.

Edited by DCGuy64
Adding URL

6 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Awesome, yes, our sailing will be in Sept 2020, so it will be included. Yay! I try to unplug as much as possible on a cruise, but since my parents will also be going we will have a new petsitter watching the "kids" and I would like to check in from time to time, especially on the horses.

6 minutes ago, pirate4me2 said:

Awesome, yes, our sailing will be in Sept 2020, so it will be included. Yay! I try to unplug as much as possible on a cruise, but since my parents will also be going we will have a new petsitter watching the "kids" and I would like to check in from time to time, especially on the horses.

I just realized that we'll be cruising in May on the Preziosa and should have the Wifi package (although I already spend way too much time online as it is, vacationing is about unplugging for me). 😊

Posted (edited)

According to the MSC website, WiFi will be included with YC bookings starting in May, 2020.  Up to 4GB of data, depending on length of the trip.

Edited by Beardface

4 hours ago, pirate4me2 said:

Thanks for the info. I did submit a status match, I am Platinum on CCL so I think that will transfer to gold on MSC. I am awaiting the confirmation to book the cruise to get that 5% discount.

My TA had me go ahead and book cabin.  Then when the status match comes in, they will add the discount to it.  

1 hour ago, tcmagnum said:

My TA had me go ahead and book cabin.  Then when the status match comes in, they will add the discount to it.  

Oh really? So if I book online thru their website, they will automatically know to add my Voyager Club number they give me and the discount to that booking? Or will I need to call in and request them to do that?

Oh, well, I guess our first MSC YC Feb 2020 is pay WIFI.   Thanks for the help, all. 

Like you, we're Platinum on CCL and have our first MSC cruise in November (but not in YC), so I'm watching the replies! We no longer live in Key West which made cruises out of MIA or FLL easy - and cheap! We're now in Lisbon, so we'll be doing our first Med cruise and expect it to be very different. Happy to try a new line and next year will be able to choose which line for our cruise when CCL comes back to the Med.

We reserved a YC cabin on a January 2020 Meraviglia cruise this past March.  I just checked our price breakdown on-line and it says:

Stateroom: 
  • Stateroom - De Luxe Suite

Included With The Cabin:
  • CIRQUE DU SOLEIL AT SEA VIAGGIO - DINNER AND SHOW
  • Standard Internet

So any thoughts on do we have internet or not?  Thanks!

9 minutes ago, capriccio said:

We reserved a YC cabin on a January 2020 Meraviglia cruise this past March.  I just checked our price breakdown on-line and it says:

Stateroom: 
  • Stateroom - De Luxe Suite

Included With The Cabin:
  • CIRQUE DU SOLEIL AT SEA VIAGGIO - DINNER AND SHOW
  • Standard Internet

So any thoughts on do we have internet or not?  Thanks!

Looks like you booked with a running promotion to include a Cirque and an internet package.

19 hours ago, pirate4me2 said:

Oh really? So if I book online thru their website, they will automatically know to add my Voyager Club number they give me and the discount to that booking? Or will I need to call in and request them to do that?

You'll probably have to call them, once you've status-matched, for them to apply the discount.

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Looks like you booked with a running promotion to include a Cirque and an internet package.

That's great!  When I made the reservation I knew about the Cirque show but must have glossed over the internet package which is actually more important to us.  Thanks for the quick reply.