Anthem Shows...and More

We were on The Anthem last week and had a great time. One thing going on the ship that I was unsure about after reading the boards here were the shows. We had reserved all 3 of them and decided to go in with an open mind. They were FABULOUS! All 3 of them were enjoyed by both my husband and I which leads me to the following advice; check them out as you can always leave. The Gift was probably my favorite and Spectra was definitely his favorite, but we both loved 'We Will Rock You' as well. Check them out.... 

Other things to mention on the ships is to check out some events in Two70. This place is amazing and at times was way under visited. We met people on the last couple days of the cruise that hadn't even made it there to see it! Wow! That's a must see! We both loved North Star as well and were glad we had signed up. Meals in the MDR were great by us and we enjoyed a few quieter breakfasts in the Solarium Bistro, but Windjammer had great food and staff as well. 

The pool situation is also incredible with (3) different areas and an actual adult only area that is truly enforced!! I love kids, but if it says adult only then make it happen. They did...

Here's a TIP for Sail Away in NJ...... (told to us by a great crew member)   Often, (not always), but often enough they look....if you go to the back of the ship especially the Windjammer outside deck, in the back, they will see whales follow them out in their wake. On the 18th when we sailed, she saw and took pictures of one directly behind the ship. I sure wish I'd known that was a possibility....

So much more I could write about, but these are some off the top of my head thoughts. If you want to know anything specific and I can, I'm happy to answer it. Happy sailing! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 808lady said:

Thanks so much for the info.  Can you say more about Two70?  What did you enjoy there?

I can explain a little.

Two70, during the day, is kind of a living room atmosphere if there is no planned activity (if I recall correctly).  Couches, comfortable seats, small food bar.  Depending on the show - the robotic screens are magical, Spectra's Cabaret definitely is the best usage of those.  Don't miss the fireworks show in there (last night, fairly late but WORTH IT)

Great feedback and tips.  We'll be on Anthem for the first time in March. Can't wait.  The two production shows get mixed reviews so great to hear ones so positive.  Really neat about the whales.  

We Will Rock You was great.  If they have the same female guitar player for the live band for that show, be sure to catch her in The Via outside Jamie's for some acoustical songs.  She may play in other places, she plays on nights when her show isn't in the theater.

23 hours ago, kmeeker said:

Here's a TIP for Sail Away in NJ...... (told to us by a great crew member)   Often, (not always), but often enough they look....if you go to the back of the ship especially the Windjammer outside deck, in the back, they will see whales follow them out in their wake. On the 18th when we sailed, she saw and took pictures of one directly behind the ship. I sure wish I'd known that was a possibility....

Where did you see the whale?   In the harbor?  Before passing under the vz?  After the bridge?

15 minutes ago, philpcruiser said:

Where did you see the whale?   In the harbor?  Before passing under the vz?  After the bridge?

Hi There! 

I did not see it! A server was telling us about it and showed us pictures. She said she was standing on the back deck of the Windjammer at Sail Away and just leaving the harbor. She said others have seen this on various sail away days. The whales seem to like to follow the wake of the ship. 

I would have loved to have seen one, but did not. 

5 hours ago, 808lady said:

Thanks so much for the info.  Can you say more about Two70?  What did you enjoy there?

The 1st night there is an "Intro to Two70" that is well worth it!! It tells you all about the things that this magical room can do. There is a small cafe in there and a bar as well as some awesome technology that we have never seen on other ships. It was my husband's favorite location on The Anthem! 

2 hours ago, hallux said:

We Will Rock You was great.  If they have the same female guitar player for the live band for that show, be sure to catch her in The Via outside Jamie's for some acoustical songs.  She may play in other places, she plays on nights when her show isn't in the theater.

Yes, she is fabulous. Catch her everywhere you can.

10 hours ago, kmeeker said:

I did not see it! A server was telling us about it and showed us pictures. She said she was standing on the back deck of the Windjammer at Sail Away and just leaving the harbor. She said others have seen this on various sail away days. The whales seem to like to follow the wake of the ship. 

I would have loved to have seen one, but did not.

We've sailed out of Cape Liberty 6 times (4x on Summit, 2x on Anthem), each time in aft facing accommodations.  Never saw a whale.  Heading out again in Sept.  We'll sure be on the lookout this time.  It may purely be a chance of luck to see a whale.

This is so exciting!  I'm heading out on her in 38 days because my friend's daughter is in the shows.   I was already excited but you're really taken me over the edge now 😄

What was your favorite thing to eat in the MDR?

Thanks for the great recap :)

Lisa N

We loved some of the appetizer choices and the seafood dishes especially Lobster. I would say my very favorite was the 'Horseradish Crusted Salmon' on Night 1....and for my husband, the favorite was probably either his 'Duck' or his 'Steaks'. 

Also, we kinda liked Sorrento's Pizza for a snack from time to time on the ship! They had great hours and were very accommodating with toppings, etc that you might want...!! 

The Anthem is great! You'll have a blast!! 

We also really enjoyed the shows.  Have seen WWRY 2 times and will see it again in November.  Always seeing new things while watching it.  For Spectra we have seen 2 different lead singers and they were both very enjoyable.  Although we have heard good reviews of The Gift that is one show we have not seen due to my granddaughters mother dying and thinking that would be a good one to miss.  We also loved 270.  Never heard about the whales behind the boat but will have to check that out and see if we can see any.  So glad you enjoyed Anthem, she would have to be our favorite ship.