Thermal Suite on Oosterdam?

PJWisconsin

Yes there is a thermal suite.  Exactly the same as on the similar class ships as well as the New Amsterdam and Eurodam.

Layout is of a locker room to change and then the hydrospa (or whatever they call it), essentially a large hot tub.  There is also a room with about 6 heated ceramic lounge chairs.

We have always enjoyed the thermal suite.   For a week it was about $250/couple if I remember correctly.  You can sign up once onboard

I would say it's a lot nicer than a "large hot tub" (my opinion :)) My only gripe with the hydropool on the Vista ships is that it's an inside location with no windows or view.  The ones on the smaller ships that really are like "just a hot tub"(not even large) at least are situated where you have breathtaking views out the bow and starboard sides of the ship.  Anyway, all that said, the Oosterdam spa is really lovely, and as you've been told, getting the pass lets you use the hydropool as well as the ceramic loungers (which DO have a great view).  When you embark go directly to the spa -- they will be running tours all the way through to muster drill.  Once you've seen the facilities you can decide on the spot to get the pass (or not) and sometimes they have embarkation day specials for couples. The price varies with the length of the cruise. 

Are there any parts of the spa that are free to use without purchasing the thermal suite pass ?  For example, are there steam or dry saunas ?  Are there bigger showers in the locker room than are available in the cabins that are free to use ?  Anything else ?

17 minutes ago, angela12345 said:

Are there any parts of the spa that are free to use without purchasing the thermal suite pass ?  For example, are there steam or dry saunas ?  Are there bigger showers in the locker room than are available in the cabins that are free to use ?  Anything else ?

No, the saunas and steam rooms are part of the thermal suite.  There used to be "public" saunas at the entrance to the spa on the Vista ships, but if I"m not mistaken, those are no longer there.  Showers in the locker room are not really "free to use".  I think it's understood that they are for those using the spa in some capacity - perhaps for those who just had a massage, in addition to those who have passes to the thermal suite... but I don't think they are meant to be just open to all.  They are normal size shower stalls... not really bigger than what you have in your cabin. 

12 hours ago, Moriah said:

No, the saunas and steam rooms are part of the thermal suite.  There used to be "public" saunas at the entrance to the spa on the Vista ships, but if I"m not mistaken, those are no longer there.  Showers in the locker room are not really "free to use".  I think it's understood that they are for those using the spa in some capacity - perhaps for those who just had a massage, in addition to those who have passes to the thermal suite... but I don't think they are meant to be just open to all.  They are normal size shower stalls... not really bigger than what you have in your cabin. 

The locker room showers are used by people who use the gym, too. Anyone can use the showers in the locker room. You need a special key card to get into the thermal suite and hydropool, but not the locker room. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I have to disagree about the free saunas. They are on all HAL ships and are open to all - but separate - one for men and one for women. They are located near the entrance to the spa on the port side. On the first day, they normally have the door to the free saunas closed and don't mention that option on the spa tours to encourage thermal suite purchases. And yes, the showers are available to all, but the lockers may be restricted to users of the spa services.

3 hours ago, twodjs said:

I have to disagree about the free saunas. They are on all HAL ships and are open to all - but separate - one for men and one for women. They are located near the entrance to the spa on the port side. On the first day, they normally have the door to the free saunas closed and don't mention that option on the spa tours to encourage thermal suite purchases. And yes, the showers are available to all, but the lockers may be restricted to users of the spa services.

Oh, this is good to know.  I wasn't sure if the Vista ships had permanently closed those saunas. Probably saw them closed one day, as you mentioned. They are not part of the Greenhouse Spa, which is the reason they are not included in the tour, probably.  Also good to know the spa showers are simply open to all. I wonder why that's the policy, since the spa is a "separate" business from HAL. 

10 hours ago, twodjs said:

IIRC, you get a locker key when you check in for the thermal suite or a spa treatment, so that restricts the use of lockers and robes to "paying customers."

6 hours ago, Moriah said:

Oh, this is good to know.  I wasn't sure if the Vista ships had permanently closed those saunas. Probably saw them closed one day, as you mentioned. They are not part of the Greenhouse Spa, which is the reason they are not included in the tour, probably.  Also good to know the spa showers are simply open to all. I wonder why that's the policy, since the spa is a "separate" business from HAL. 

It might be that they make the showers open to all so that people who use the gym can shower there.

I would consider the men's and women's changing rooms part of the gym. The free saunas also have a shower in each. The Spa has simply decided (usually) to keep the locker keys for use by the spa guests, since the number of lockers is limited. This varies by ship and by the amount of Spa bookings.  On the Koningsdam, the lockers lock with your cabin key, so they are available to all. I make use of the free sauna and locker room showers on every cruise.