Roll Call Missing

I've started a roll call 'Amazon Viking Star - 11/29/2020' but it does not show up on the Viking Star roll call forum. I can locate my roll call looking in my profile settings. My concern is that if I cannot easily view the roll call, others can't thus I will not get responses from people on the same cruise.There are two roll calls posted. I want to see my Roll call on the same page - am I missing something? Posted roll calls existing are ...Viking Star Roll Call - November 1, 2020

and Viking Star Roll Call - November 29, 2020

Your Roll Call shows up where it should be, in the Viking Star Roll Call forum. I found it quickly by scrolling through the Roll Calls. Anyone looking for a Viking Star Roll Call would do the same. There’s been no activity on it other than your post, which isn’t terribly surprising given the relatively small size of the ship and the fact that the cruise is 16 months away. 

3 hours ago, JohYo said:

I've started a roll call 'Amazon Viking Star - 11/29/2020' but it does not show up on the Viking Star roll call forum. I can locate my roll call looking in my profile settings. My concern is that if I cannot easily view the roll call, others can't thus I will not get responses from people on the same cruise.There are two roll calls posted. I want to see my Roll call on the same page - am I missing something? Posted roll calls existing are ...Viking Star Roll Call - November 1, 2020

and Viking Star Roll Call - November 29, 2020

Do you mean it's not showing up if you use the "Find Your Roll Call" link?

That feature is not working currently.  

Another reason, the date formatting is not compatible with the Roll Call finder tool (at least it used to be that way).  The date should be formatted as "November 29, 2020" .

As noted, the best way to find a roll call is to actually go to the Roll Calls forum and search directly.

@JohYo

And then there is also the first 11/29/20 Roll Call thread you started:

There should be only one Roll Call thread for each cruise. Note the following from the pinned thread titled How To: Create A New Roll Call at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2594925-how-to-create-a-new-roll-call/:

... If you see two or more threads for the same sail date please email help@cruisecritic.com to have them merged...

Send an e-mail requesting the merge from your Cruise Critic e-mail address of record and mention your user name. Also, be sure to show both thread titles and their links in your e-mail.

As Shmoo here mentions above, the FIND YOUR ROLL CALL search tool is Out of Order. See the Announcement:

As Turtles06 mentions above, the tool appears to have both listed at https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/?cruise_line_id=203&ship_id=748&page=3. However when you click View Discussion for the one listed as November 1, 2020, it takes you to a thread that needs to be deleted titled South Africa Nov 2020 at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2589119-south-africa-nov-2020/.

Even though the tool is having problems right now, in your e-mail about the merge of your duplicate Roll Call threads for the same sail date, you can mention the Roll Call thread mentioned above that needs to be deleted and ask if it is possible for your to be merged 11/29/20 Roll Call threads and your 11/01/20 Roll Call thread to be manually added to the tool.

As far as seeing the Roll Calls you have started "on the same page" as you want, at this time the only place is the Viking Star Roll Call Forum listing all Viking Star Roll Call threads at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/787-viking-star-roll-calls/. However since all threads in any forum are listed in last post date and time order, there will need to be a post on each of your Roll Call threads on the same day and at the same time for them to stay together on the forum's list. ☹️

Also, for quick access to your Roll Call threads, Bookmark each one or put them in your Favorites. That way you will not have to take the time to go through to your profile settings.

Hope this additional information will be helpful! 🙂

Kat 🐱

Edited by TxCityKat
typo

1 hour ago, TxCityKat said:

There should be only one Roll Call thread for each cruise.

Question on this.  We're booked on a cruise that's the first leg of a longer cruise.  There's a thread already started (but not much activity on it) for the longer cruise.  How would it be handled if those people only doing the shorter, first part, of the cruise want to have their "own" Roll Call?

I've participated in several different roll calls over the years, and I'm not sure I'd want to be the "poor relative" on a longer cruise Roll Call that's only going to be there for part of the event.

50 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

How would it be handled if those people only doing the shorter, first part, of the cruise want to have their "own" Roll Call?

I've participated in several different roll calls over the years, and I'm not sure I'd want to be the "poor relative" on a longer cruise Roll Call that's only going to be there for part of the event.

We just had a similar situation on a HAL cruise we have booked.  It's 11 nights long. Some folks are doing it with the next cruise as a B2B, and someone started a Roll Call for BOTH sailing dates as one Roll Call.  For obvious reasons, that is not what CC prefers, and CC was kind enough to get the Roll Calls separated.   You should have your own Roll Call for your earlier cruise.  What good does it do to be on a Roll Call with folks planning shorex for a time after the first cruise has ended? 

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

We just had a similar situation on a HAL cruise we have booked.  It's 11 nights long. Some folks are doing it with the next cruise as a B2B, and someone started a Roll Call for BOTH sailing dates as one Roll Call.  For obvious reasons, that is not what CC prefers, and CC was kind enough to get the Roll Calls separated.   You should have your own Roll Call for your earlier cruise.  What good does it do to be on a Roll Call with folks planning shorex for a time after the first cruise has ended? 

Well, the other Roll call is a legitimate Roll Call in that it's for a cruise that starts the same day as the shorter one, on the same ship.  They are marketed as 2 separate cruises, for example a 10 night one and a 25 night one.  Not a B2B.

Just now, Shmoo here said:

Well, the other Roll call is a legitimate Roll Call in that it's for a cruise that starts the same day as the shorter one, on the same ship.  They are marketed as 2 separate cruises, for example a 10 night one and a 25 night one.  Not a B2B.

In fact, in our case, I think HAL may also be selling both of them as one.  (HAL does a lot of unusual things with segments and creating longer cruises.)  In any event, you do pose a good question! 

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

... How would it be handled if those people only doing the shorter, first part, of the cruise want to have their "own" Roll Call?...

See dear Host Walt's (RIP) pinned thread at the top of the Maasdam Roll Calls forum.

Also see his other pinned thread in the same forum.

If there is no Roll Call thread started for the other cruise, why don't you do it but explain the situation & why you are starting it. That way the thread will be titled correctly for sure. If a newbie starts it, they may not be aware of the correct protocol for titling HAL Roll Call threads as mentioned in Walt's thread and how helpful it will be to include HAL's marketing name in the title. Hopefully they DO have separate marketing names! Of course, the links to each Roll Call should be posted in each thread. Also that members sailing either or both cruises should feel free to post on each Roll Call thread and be welcomed on each.

However, the fact they both have the same start date will be a problem if the Roll Call finder tool is ever fixed. You might want to clarify all this with CC Help Jenn at help@cruisecritic.com and see if she has any further info.

Good Luck! 🍀

Kat 🐱

Edited by TxCityKat
additional info

6 minutes ago, TxCityKat said:

See dear Host Walt's (RIP) pinned thread at the top of the Maasdam Roll Calls forum.

Also see his other pinned thread in the same forum.

If there is no Roll Call thread started for the other cruise, why don't you do it but explain the situation & why you are starting it. That way the thread will be titled correctly for sure. If a newbie starts it, they may not be aware of the correct protocol for titling HAL Roll Call threads as mentioned in Walt's thread and how helpful it will be to include HAL's marketing name in the title. Hopefully they DO have separate marketing names! And of course, the info should be posted on each thread that members sailing either or both cruises should feel free to post on both Roll Call threads and be welcomed on each.

However, the fact they both have the same start date will be a problem if the Roll Call finder tool is ever fixed. You might want to clarify all this with CC Help Jenn at help@cruisecritic.com and see if she has any further info.

Good Luck! 🍀

Kat 🐱

Thanks.  Funny that's posted on the Maasdam Roll Calls forum.  The Roll Call in question is a Maasdam cruise.  Someone has already started the longer cruise Roll Call, and the title has both segments names in it.  

3 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Thanks.  Funny that's posted on the Maasdam Roll Calls forum.  The Roll Call in question is a Maasdam cruise.  Someone has already started the longer cruise Roll Call, and the title has both segments names in it. 

You are most welcome, but I cheated. 😈  I looked at your previous posts to see which line & ship you were talking about.

Talk to the OP of the longer cruise Roll Call thread. Explain the situation and refer them to Host Walt's directions about there needing to be separate Roll Call threads for each segment. See if they will allow their thread title to be changed to include just its start date, the amount of days and its one marketing title. Also explain the new Roll Call thread for the shorter cruise will have a title including its start date, the amount of days & the OTHER marketing title. That should make it easier for members to find each of them.

Again with an explanation of what is going on, CC Help Jenn at help@cruisecritic.com will be able to change the Roll Call title that needs changing.

Again, lots of good luck! ☘️ 🍀🍀☘️

Kat 🐱

10 minutes ago, TxCityKat said:

You are most welcome, but I cheated. 😈  I looked at your previous posts to see which line & ship you were talking about.

Talk to the OP of the longer cruise Roll Call thread. Explain the situation and refer them to Host Walt's directions about there needing to be separate Roll Call threads for each segment. See if they will allow their thread title to be changed to include just its start date, the amount of days and its one marketing title. Also explain the new Roll Call thread for the shorter cruise will have a title including its start date, the amount of days & the OTHER marketing title. That should make it easier for members to find each of them.

Again with an explanation of what is going on, CC Help Jenn at help@cruisecritic.com will be able to change the Roll Call title that needs changing.

Again, lots of good luck! ☘️ 🍀🍀☘️

Kat 🐱

Thanks.

I think I'll just leave things for right now.  I don't usually participate in Roll Calls until much closer to the trip.  Mostly because I don't really feel comfortable putting out there in internet space that I'm going away.  

It's possible that the already existing roll call won't get much action, so it'll not be an issue.

Or it could, and then I might point out to the original Roll Call starter about the multiple segment cruise roll calls having separate roll calls.

But, there would still be the issue of two separate cruises having the same start date and the Roll Call finder tool.

We'll see what happens.

Edited by Shmoo here

@Shmoo here

I fully understand your position on the matter.  Please feel free to do as you want.  🙂

However, as Turtles06 says...

7 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

We just had a similar situation on a HAL cruise we have booked.  It's 11 nights long. Some folks are doing it with the next cruise as a B2B, and someone started a Roll Call for BOTH sailing dates as one Roll Call.  For obvious reasons, that is not what CC prefers, and CC was kind enough to get the Roll Calls separated...

I just want to mention that years ago I separated Roll Call threads. It is a bummer to do and even more so when it is a Roll Call thread that grows to be a very long one. The splitting part was easy, but the figuring out which posts go where was the time consuming part.

I promise I'm not trying to influence you!  Just passing on info.

Kat 🐱

Thanks TxCityKat

As you've suggested, I'll merge my 2 treads.

Turtles06 must be a fast scroller! I don't have the patience for that!

I'll change the date format which will help make it easier to locate said thread and remove the South Africa thread (I don't know where that Roll Call came from)

I'm not expecting any replies for at least another 6 months.

In my past Roll Calls (Japan, Baltics, Alaska etc.) I received most of my replies withing 1 month of departures making it difficult/rushed to organize independent excursions. Hopefully responses for this cruise will improve as my research indicates, there are many opportunities throughout this cruise for independent tours/excursions.

Thanks Again

Johnny

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TxCityKat said:

I just want to mention that years ago I separated Roll Call threads. It is a bummer to do and even more so when it is a Roll Call thread that grows to be a very long one. The splitting part was easy, but the figuring out which posts go where was the time consuming part.

I promise I'm not trying to influence you!  Just passing on info.

I understand.  I'll just wait and see.  The cruise isn't for some time, and the current Roll Call has only one person on it.  If things start picking up there, I may make my move.  I certainly won't wait until it's pages long to ask to have it separated.  That's not fair to the mods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1