Cruise Critic Community
claiream3

MSC 'All aboard' v sailaway times query

Hi, due in Genoa for a port day on a Sunday in September and have all the options to get to/from Portofino by train & boat. My main question is how lenient/strict are MSC with their all-aboard (AA) times? On my itinerary it says sail time 5pm and all-aboard 4pm. On 8 previous cruises usually pax AA time has been 30 mins before sailaway with crew AA 1 hour before. I am a very organised person (I was early for my own wedding) but the reason I'm asking I suppose is coming down to the train times back to Genoa and how reliable their trains are (especially with it being a Sunday). I do plan on arriving back at the train station some 25 minutes before the AA time and understand the station is a short walk from the dock - if I were to arrive at the gangway at 4.05pm for example (due to a late running train for example) they'd let me on wouldn't they? (having been on cruises where I've witnessed stragglers way past the AA and even sailaway time....).

I find the MSC AA time's quite early in general and especially Genoa when there is likely going to be a number of locals joining the ship here....

Any thoughts and experiences are welcome please.

Claire

23 minutes ago, claiream3 said:

Hi, due in Genoa for a port day on a Sunday in September and have all the options to get to/from Portofino by train & boat. My main question is how lenient/strict are MSC with their all-aboard (AA) times? On my itinerary it says sail time 5pm and all-aboard 4pm. On 8 previous cruises usually pax AA time has been 30 mins before sailaway with crew AA 1 hour before. I am a very organised person (I was early for my own wedding) but the reason I'm asking I suppose is coming down to the train times back to Genoa and how reliable their trains are (especially with it being a Sunday). I do plan on arriving back at the train station some 25 minutes before the AA time and understand the station is a short walk from the dock - if I were to arrive at the gangway at 4.05pm for example (due to a late running train for example) they'd let me on wouldn't they? (having been on cruises where I've witnessed stragglers way past the AA and even sailaway time....).

I find the MSC AA time's quite early in general and especially Genoa when there is likely going to be a number of locals joining the ship here....

Claire

I'd want to know more details, such as: 1. How far are you traveling to Genoa? From Portofino? 2. Which class of train are you taking? That makes a big difference. The lazy Sunday trains I've taken in Italy are notoriously unpunctual. Personally, I'd give myself lots of time (aka at least 1 hour) to get to the cruise port, just in case. 3. Are you in Yacht Club? They might give you some leeway. I'm a worry wart when it comes to being on time, I get very panicky if I'm cutting it close and vacation is all about relaxing for me. I would also check out train times online and see what their track record (no pun intended) is. Usually, the nicer, faster trains like the Pendolino or the Intercity ones do better than the ironically named "Express" trains. The Regional ones are the slowest, I think they stop at every little station. The good news is that it's only about 1/2 hour on the train from Portofino to Genoa. Note that the Portofino train station is not right in town, you have to take a bus or taxi to get there. (My wife and I were there during our honeymoon). Have a lovely cruise! 

45 minutes ago, claiream3 said:

Claire

Please don't forget its Italy, and train arrival time is very optional specially on Sunday.  Take a ship tour or even spend time in Genoa it's a beautiful city . 

All Aboard time is usually 30 minutes before Sailaway time so you'll have no problems as long as you're back by then.

Posted (edited)

Thank you for replies so far. I’m looking at an Intercity leaving Rapello at 3pm for an all-aboard time in Genoa of 4pm- it’s showing the train taking 36 minutes. 

Claire 

Edited by claiream3

17 hours ago, claiream3 said:

Thank you for replies so far. I’m looking at an Intercity leaving Rapello at 3pm for an all-aboard time in Genoa of 4pm- it’s showing the train taking 36 minutes. 

Claire 

You *should* have plenty of time if you leave at 3 pm and it takes 36 minutes. However, from someone who's traveled to Italy many times since 1984 and ridden many trains there, I'd leave earlier just to be on the safe side. I'm assuming this is an independent trip and not something booked through the cruise ship, right? Also, I'd like to introduce you to a favorite Italian word: sciopero. It means "strike," as in a labor strike, and it's practically a national pastime. I'd hate for you to get waylaid trying to get back to the ship. (although I can think of far worse places to be stranded than Portofino, LOL). Have a great cruise!