Cruise Critic Community
zitsky

Confused about dinner reservations

I have googled and searched for this but I couldn't find an answer.  First time on Ocean.  I'm in a Deluxe Veranda so I know I have (only) 1 guaranteed reservation in each specialty restaurant.  But can I make additional reservations, just not guaranteed when the booking window opens?

(And the main dining room cannot be reserved online?)

My understanding, is that also being in a DV cabin, we can make 1 online reservation in each restaurant, once our booking window opens. Additional reservations can be made once we get aboard.

Personally, we won't be making any reservations pre-cruise, unless it is for a special event.

And there is always the main dining room where we ate on river.  I guess you get spoiled with the specialty restaurants on Ocean.

I have a birthday so I am trying to get Manfreddi's. 

Thanks.

You cannot book any additional “non guaranteed” reservations. Their website won’t allow it. Once aboard, you can go to the reservation desk at the World Cafe & see about additional reservations. Also, on several occasions we have gone to The Chef’s Table (our favorite specialty restaurant) as a walk in due to people no-showing or canceling. Worth a try with Manfredi’s. The main dining room does not take reservations. 

Ok and priority reservation doesn't mean guaranteed time, correct?  I guess we'll see later.

Be sure and download the Viking Voyager App before you board and then log on once on the ship. It’s must easier to reserve additional nights on the app than standing in line on embarkation day at The World Cafe watching everyone in front of you reading The Restaurant’s menu and trying to decide which night they want to eat where. The app will have each night’s menu for all the restaurants, though on a long cruise you should conforms day or two ahead that they haven’t changed them...we had to cancel a slot in Manfredi’s when lobster night in The Restaurant got moved. 😱

When you make a reservation it is for a specific time. Keep in mind that passengers in PVs & PSs can make their reservations earlier therefore you may not get your first choice.

Ahh the app!  Forgot about that.  It's on my phone now.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

My understanding, is that also being in a DV cabin, we can make 1 online reservation in each restaurant, once our booking window opens. Additional reservations can be made once we get aboard.

You got it right, Andy.

You may make only as many advanced reservations as your booking category allows. Then, once you board, you may make additional reservations. Depending on the demand, there may be restrictions on how many reservations you may make.

Also, zitsky, once you make your reservations, if you can't get a spot in Manfredi's on your birthday, contact TellUs and ask if they can get you a table for that night. Maybe they can do it and maybe they can't.  However, if you don't want to be serenaded at your table or any sort of fuss made, be sure to tell them that as well. (include your booking and phone numbers in your e-mail). 

I will not try to blow out those flaming "candles" like last time.  😞

On our recent cruise, we were talking to the Restaurant Manager at the M&M and I happened to compliment him on his staff's job with the cake that was awaiting us in our cabin when we returned from shore that day.  He said thank you and asked what the occasion was.  Told him it was our wedding anniversary and as he reached for his phone, he immediately asked if we would like to eat in one of the specialty restaurants to celebrate that evening.  We declined because we wanted to eat in the MDR that evening, but thanked him for the offer.  So apparently the staff (especially Restaurant Manager), has some latitude for special occasions.  I am in no way suggesting that CC members start showing up with claims of their 100th anniversary or some other fabricated celebration, but in a legitimate case, it might be a card you hold up your sleeve.

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

And there is always the main dining room where we ate on river.  I guess you get spoiled with the specialty restaurants on Ocean.

Thanks.

What I would suggest is that once you board, see if there is anyone at the desk outside Manfredi's - they also have more leeway than the desk in the World Cafe.  We were able to get things switched around to what we wanted there.  It's more personal than using the app and you can ask questions.

We were in a DV but got a very nice offer for an upgrade to a PV - now we are totally spoiled 😄  (which is probably the idea.)  We are in PVs for our next two ocean.  It's such a great room with just enough extras, that I don't think I'd move to a suite if they offered it no charge - unless maybe it was one of the aft corner Explorer's suites.

I was all excited to book my restaurant reservations, but the Chef's table menu that we want is the last one for the trip, so it will be on our last night on the ship.  I may have to rethink this.

So I did my restaurant reservations, 1 Manfreddi's and 1 Chef's Table (Xiang).  When I booked CT the browser spun and spun.  I didn't think I would get it.  But I was working on something in another window and saw that the reservation had gone through.

I also just booked dining reservations. Had a lot of issues with the ‘loading’ circle in a nonstop spin. I called customer service. They were unable to help me to actually book (I was told that they cannot book excursions nor dining now) but she contacted her supervisor, who went in and removed then reloaded my options.  I guess it in essenc rebooted. It took quite a while, but I finally made reservations, not all at the times nor dates as our first choice, but certainly workable. 

I hope zitsky you were able to secure your birthday reservation! 

7 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I hope zitsky you were able to secure your birthday reservation! 

Yes I got Manfreddi's @ 8pm.  A little late but acceptable.

As soon as reservations open up for your room level, make a reservation at Manfredi's.  It is good and a nice change for an evening.  The other restaurants are not super crowded so don't worry!

We make sure to make our reservation at Manfredi's when we are leaving port early and NOT after a long day of sight seeing.  At sea day even better but those tend to get booked quickly.

8 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

unless maybe it was one of the aft corner Explorer's suites.

So TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!! At the drop of hat. In the blink of an eye. Would not even take the time to consult DH.

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

Yes I got Manfreddi's @ 8pm.  A little late but acceptable.

With any luck, it will not coincide with one of the shows that you have decided that you must see and you can sit there and have a lovely birthday celebration that lingers until they start lining up the vacuum cleaners.

8 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

With any luck, it will not coincide with one of the shows that you have decided that you must see and you can sit there and have a lovely birthday celebration that lingers until they start lining up the vacuum cleaners.

Wait.  What??? So now I have to worry about show times?

Zitsky enjoy your birthday at Manfredis.  I had my BD there last summer.  As far as shows in The Theater, we never knew what they were until the Viking Daily was delivered to our room the night before.  Perhaps you can go to Guest Services when you board to ask about the schedule.  As i recall the shows began at 9-9:15 pm.  If you miss it, you can always go to Torshavn afterwards for live music and dancing.  

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Wait.  What??? So now I have to worry about show times?

Yes, we have to keep you busy with at least something to worry about.

Shows are most nights at 9:15.

This cruise is already stressing me out LOL.

Tayana I wish I could get my husband to go dancing.  But he doesn't want to and I have no rhythm.  (But it's how we met when I asked him to dance.)

Some live jazz would be nice.

When I went on Viking over my birthday,  I ask my TA to get me The private dining room at Manfredi for a certain time.. it did not count toward my allotment..the only catch is you need about 8 people for the room..but it was no problem..I filled it up with folks from the roll call..and my TA got s cake and the waiters sang.. great memory 

On 7/30/2019 at 11:04 AM, zitsky said:

I have googled and searched for this but I couldn't find an answer.  First time on Ocean.  I'm in a Deluxe Veranda so I know I have (only) 1 guaranteed reservation in each specialty restaurant.  But can I make additional reservations, just not guaranteed when the booking window opens?

(And the main dining room cannot be reserved online?)

I don't know if that one reservation is per restaurant or per cabin.  I've only been V.   I doubt they will make extra reservations during your booking window.

Thanks.  I found my answer elsewhere.  I can make more reservations on board if there are openings.  No guarantee. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/30/2019 at 9:27 AM, zitsky said:

Thanks.

I believe there is place on My Viking Journey to tell them you are celebrating a special occasion. 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne