Cruise Critic Community
zitsky

Confused about dinner reservations

6 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I believe there is place on My Viking Journey to tell them you are celebrating a special occasion. 

I don't want those big flaming candles on my cake.....

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

The crew did tastefully sing Happy Birthday on a few occasions

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Exactly!

On 7/31/2019 at 2:34 AM, SrCruizer said:

You cannot book any additional “non guaranteed” reservations. Their website won’t allow it. Once aboard, you can go to the reservation desk at the World Cafe & see about additional reservations. Also, on several occasions we have gone to The Chef’s Table (our favorite specialty restaurant) as a walk in due to people no-showing or canceling. Worth a try with Manfredi’s. The main dining room does not take reservations. 

Unless you encounter a website glitch where after making your allocated reservations in MVJ you are told you have '-1 reservations remaining' and can make some more! 😉

We also had no trouble making reservations for either restaurant via the app once on board. The 8 and 8:30 time slots always seemed available so our plan was often - 

1. See the port we were at.

2. Get back on board, have a rest and go to the spa from about 6:30/7pm when we were often the only people in there!

3. Have dinner at 8/8:30 in Manfredis or Chefs Table. 

Uh oh.  Now you've given your secret away.  Pax will flood the spa and everyone will eat at 8.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I believe there is place on My Viking Journey to tell them you are celebrating a special occasion. 

I cannot seem to find this.  (I even tried to google it.)  If you remember, please post.

Edited by zitsky

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I cannot seem to find this.  (I even tried to google it.)  If you remember, please post.

Unfortunately I do not have a current booking and cannot access the site. I'm sure it exists somewhere as I recall reading something like "Let us know if you are celebrating a special occasion" or similar language. 

I may be conflating the Bon Voyage Gift with this. You can order special amenities sent to the  your stateroom for special occasions.

http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/PDF/OC-Gift-Form-US.pdf

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

I see the Guest Informmation Form asks for birthday.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Unfortunately I do not have a current booking and cannot access the site. I'm sure it exists somewhere as I recall reading something like "Let us know if you are celebrating a special occasion" or similar language. 

I may be conflating the Bon Voyage Gift with this. You can order special amenities sent to the  your stateroom for special occasions.

http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/PDF/OC-Gift-Form-US.pdf

The gift order form can be found on the Viking Ocean website, under Help/FAQS, then My Trip and Documents, then How can I send a Bon Voyage Gift to a Viking Guest.

My work blocks it as suspicious... they don't seem to like voc.com but this does come from Viking's own website.  No gifts for me!

Edited by zitsky

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

My work blocks it as suspicious...

Not because it suspicious but because it is counter-productive -- at least from their point of view.  😎

48 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Not because it suspicious but because it is counter-productive -- at least from their point of view.  😎

I *might* agree with you but only voc.com is blocked.  I can use MVJ all day.  Where do you think I booked my excursions?

8 hours ago, zitsky said:

Uh oh.  Now you've given your secret away.  Pax will flood the spa and everyone will eat at 8.

LOL yes will see if any changes when I go on my next Viking cruise!

Posted (edited)

You might not even need to give them particular notice of a special occasion. Other than filling in the standard guest information form, we gave Viking no special notice that my husband had a birthday during our recent Midnight Sun cruise. Yet a beautiful (and delicious!) birthday cake with congratulatory note still appeared in our cabin on the proper day with knife, plates, forks, cloth napkins, glasses, and a bottle of bubbly!

Edited by Mehroswitha

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Mehroswitha said:

You might not even need to give them particular notice of a special occasion. Other than filling in the standard guest information form, we gave Viking no special notice that my husband had a birthday during our recent Midnight Sun cruise. Yet a beautiful (and delicious!) birthday cake with congratulatory note still appeared in our cabin on the proper day with knife, plates, forks, cloth napkins, glasses, and a bottle of bubbly!

That's really good to know.  My TA has ordered us a cake so that's a lotta calories.

Was the bubbly chilled (I hope)?

Edited by zitsky

2 hours ago, Mehroswitha said:

Similar happened on our first cruise with Viking in 2010. It was a river cruise/tour so on my birthday, we were in a hotel. The phone rang; it was the front desk telling us that they had something to deliver to our room and they wanted to make sure that we were there. They showed up a few minutes later with  a cake, with my name on it--almost to pretty to eat.

We all give our birth dates on the guest info form, so it is easy to know who is celebrating a birthday. Anniversaries are a different story.