Flying on EMBARKATION Day

Giorgi-one

Too bad for the couple, but DUH! Checking the bag containing your docs is just all kinds of stupid. And they refuse to accept responsibility. SMH.

Just noticed that article was from March. I thought it sounded familiar.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

Elliott is a lawyer and we all know what will happen to them come the revolution.  However, the couple is totally responsible for their problems as they made numerous mistakes booking the cruise.

DON

I never let anyone handle my bags. To me the downside of not getting my bags on the ship totally outweighs any inconvenience of handling my own bags.  I always watch the bags being placed on the baggage carts at the Port before I go check in.  We sailed without bags once.  Never again!  Always fly to EMBARKATION port AT LEAST one day early.

Always travel one or more days before the cruise - I have experience bad weather conditions, strikes, lost luggage and technical problems during my 30 years of cruising - arrived to destination one day later or luggage arrived the day after - but never lost any of out 35 cruises.

• Like 1

We've flown in the day of a cruise before but I don't recommend it. If doing so, I'd try to book the air through the cruise line with a guarantee of getting to the next port if we missed the ship. And the couple erred in not catching up to the ship in Cuba to salvage three-quarters of their cruise. 

As to manifests, we've sailed on ships that waited for last-minute passengers. I don't know how the cruise line got around the requirements, but apparently it is possible. One such cruise was a round-trip on a Princess ship out of Seattle in 2009. The ship delayed leaving so that a large group of passengers on a delayed flight could board. We watched them getting on the ship and then the ropes being untied immediately and the ship pushing away from the pier. 

13 minutes ago, geoherb said:

try to book the air through the cruise line with a guarantee of getting to the next port if we missed the ship.

That doesn’t exist. There’s never a guarantee, don’t let their “we’ll do our best” fool you in to thinking it. A look at the terms and conditions will prove there are no guarantees. 

22 minutes ago, geoherb said:

As to manifests, we've sailed on ships that waited for last-minute passengers. I don't know how the cruise line got around the requirements, but apparently it is possible. One such cruise was a round-trip on a Princess ship out of Seattle in 2009. The ship delayed leaving so that a large group of passengers on a delayed flight could board. We watched them getting on the ship and then the ropes being untied immediately and the ship pushing away from the pier. 

probably because it was a larger group  they waited

they ship in not going to wait for 2 people

4 hours ago, geoherb said:

As to manifests, we've sailed on ships that waited for last-minute passengers

I have at three cruises experienced longer delay in departure due to late arriving passengers - larger groups booked through a TA or air through cruise line.

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

probably because it was a larger group  they waited

they ship in not going to wait for 2 people

For sure not wait for few individual guests.

18 hours ago, Giorgi-one said:

I never let anyone handle my bags. To me the downside of not getting my bags on the ship totally outweighs any inconvenience of handling my own bags.  I always watch the bags being placed on the baggage carts at the Port before I go check in.  We sailed without bags once.  Never again!  Always fly to EMBARKATION port AT LEAST one day early.

Agreed! We did that once in 2017 and it was really close. However, there were exigent circumstances in our case: we finally had enough frequent flyer miles to fly free to the cruise port (San Juan), but ONLY enough miles to fly on the day of embarkation. It was 2x the number of miles to fly a day early. So it was either day of, or not at all. Still, even though we did make it with time to spare, I was sweating bullets on the way to the cruise terminal and we vowed never to repeat that scenario. Side note: we have a cruise booked in December and it was originally going to Cuba, and we'd already bought our (non-refundable) airline tickets. The Cuba cancellation forced us to consider doing a different cruise that leaves a day earlier than the other one, but we STILL have 1 1/2 days in port before it leaves. Lesson learned! The story from Elliott confirms my belief that trip insurance is usually a big waste of time & money because the insurance companies always find ways in the fine print to shirk their responsibility to pay. 

I'll just add that it is often suggested to fly in the day before during the winter months, but bad weather can happen anytime. I believe that it is just a mind set. If you believe in it enough you will fly in early, if you are a risk taker, you won't. I know for some it is a money thing, but for the price of one night in a hotel compared to the expense of the whole trip and missing the ship, I prefer to save my change and opt for the latter.

3 hours ago, Mike981 said:

I'll just add that it is often suggested to fly in the day before during the winter months, but bad weather can happen anytime. I believe that it is just a mind set. If you believe in it enough you will fly in early, if you are a risk taker, you won't. I know for some it is a money thing, but for the price of one night in a hotel compared to the expense of the whole trip and missing the ship, I prefer to save my change and opt for the latter.

Yes, and bad weather doesn't necessarily have to happen where you are for it to impact you. The number of people I've come across who think they're fine in winter flying from Atlanta to Florida...oy. Nevermind the fact that even a minuscule amount of snow or ice can shut ATL down, and that plane may be coming from Buffalo or Chicago or Boston or somewhere that is very, very susceptible to get insane amounts of winter weather. The more cushion, the better.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Yes, and bad weather doesn't necessarily have to happen where you are for it to impact you. The number of people I've come across who think they're fine in winter flying from Atlanta to Florida...oy. Nevermind the fact that even a minuscule amount of snow or ice can shut ATL down, and that plane may be coming from Buffalo or Chicago or Boston or somewhere that is very, very susceptible to get insane amounts of winter weather. The more cushion, the better.

We've experienced several delays flying into and out of Atlanta since that is one of the layover airports when we fly out of our city.  Last year, we would have missed our cruise had we not scheduled our flights the day before the cruise.  We almost missed the cruise anyway, but the buffer allowed us to book a last minute flight out of Atlanta to FLL on Southwest since Delta could not get us to Miami until after our cruise left the following day!  I have experienced cancellations and enough delays that I will never fly in the day of a cruise.  We've had delays on flights in every season.  One time we missed a connection in Dallas because even though the flight arrived on time, it stayed on the tarmac for over an hour.  We had to stay the night in Dallas.  Another time we were stuck in Salt Lake City for 8 1/2 hours because of delay.  For us, delays have happened MUCH more than 3% of our flights.

Even first morning direct flights can be cancelled for reasons other than weather.  That happened when my son was flying direct to Houston on the first flight out in the morning to catch another flight out of the country. His flight was cancelled the night before and no other flights were available to get him there in time, so my husband drove all night to get him to Houston so he could make his connection.  Never again.

Edited by TNcruising02

18 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Excellent point.

40 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Agree. We always fly in at least one day prior to the sail date. We were delayed leaving SLC last March due to heavy rains/thunder storms in Atlanta which was our connection. We had a scheduled 3 hour layover so the delay didn't effect (luckily) our San Juan arrival. 

Edited by davekathy

We always fly a day or two early mostly to flight or luggage delays.  However, this will not help for a major snowstorm.  It could take up to a week for airlines to catch up with cancelled flights!  Only choices are to let travel insurance pay or drive before the storm hits!  

30 minutes ago, Giorgi-one said:

We always fly a day or two early mostly to flight or luggage delays.  However, this will not help for a major snowstorm.  It could take up to a week for airlines to catch up with cancelled flights!  Only choices are to let travel insurance pay or drive before the storm hits!  

At least around here, there is usually a few days warning before an advancing major storm. Most of the time the airlines  here will try to accommodate pax who want to fly out a day or 2 early, to avoid cancellations. They'll even waive change fees. 

17 minutes ago, mom says said:

At least around here, there is usually a few days warning before an advancing major storm. Most of the time the airlines  here will try to accommodate pax who want to fly out a day or 2 early, to avoid cancellations. They'll even waive change fees. 

I fly out of Philly.  Flights to FLL and MIA are almost always totally booked in the winter.  Might be possible if I was first to call or if they would book a roundabout flight with open seats.  Worth a try!

On 7/31/2019 at 11:25 AM, DCGuy64 said:

Agreed! We did that once in 2017 and it was really close. However, there were exigent circumstances in our case: we finally had enough frequent flyer miles to fly free to the cruise port (San Juan), but ONLY enough miles to fly on the day of embarkation. It was 2x the number of miles to fly a day early. So it was either day of, or not at all.

One thing to realize.  If you book with miles, you are a non-rev passenger.  And if there is any issue, such as overbooking, guess who doesn't get on the flight?

23 hours ago, SRF said:

One thing to realize.  If you book with miles, you are a non-rev passenger.  And if there is any issue, such as overbooking, guess who doesn't get on the flight?

Huh, didn't know that. The irony is two-fold: 1. Our FF tickets were for 1st class. When the carrier said our flight was going to be delayed, they moved us onto a new flight but then said they had no 1st class available. I was pretty mad 😡at this, since flying 1st class and paying for it in miles costs a lot more than economy. 2. The original flight actually DID make it in time for us to make our original connecting flight, but we were on a totally different itinerary at that point (DCA > CLT > SJU instead of DCA > PIT > SJU). So, in hindsight, we should've stayed onboard! Fortunately, a gate agent went on the plane and was able to score us 2 first class seats after all, and she must've talked to one of the flight attendants. Shortly before take-off, a very nice flight attendant brought me and my wife 2 bottles of booze (EACH!) 🍹🥃 and we got complimentary food 🥘, too. All's well that ends well. 😁

On 7/31/2019 at 8:25 AM, DCGuy64 said:

Agreed! We did that once in 2017 and it was really close. However, there were exigent circumstances in our case: we finally had enough frequent flyer miles to fly free to the cruise port (San Juan), but ONLY enough miles to fly on the day of embarkation. It was 2x the number of miles to fly a day early. So it was either day of, or not at all. Still, even though we did make it with time to spare, I was sweating bullets on the way to the cruise terminal and we vowed never to repeat that scenario. Side note: we have a cruise booked in December and it was originally going to Cuba, and we'd already bought our (non-refundable) airline tickets. The Cuba cancellation forced us to consider doing a different cruise that leaves a day earlier than the other one, but we STILL have 1 1/2 days in port before it leaves. Lesson learned! The story from Elliott confirms my belief that trip insurance is usually a big waste of time & money because the insurance companies always find ways in the fine print to shirk their responsibility to pay. 

The instance that Lawyer Elliott reported was that they did not have their passport or documents as they let Viking take their carry on bag with their documents in it.  No insurance anywhere is going to cover that problem.  I have used insurance once because I had to cancel because of a medical issue.  I followed the rules and they treated me well.  You do have to follow the rules however.

There was a recent post from a person who was sick and left the cruise early but did not bother to go to the ship doctor before leaving.  They then self evacuated and flew home and waited several days after they got home before going to the emergency room in their hometown.  They were then annoyed because their medical and evacuation bills were not paid by their insurance company.  Come on!!!!

You can't expect insurance companies to insure for stupidity.

DON

• Like 4

22 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Huh, didn't know that. The irony is two-fold: 1. Our FF tickets were for 1st class. When the carrier said our flight was going to be delayed, they moved us onto a new flight but then said they had no 1st class available. I was pretty mad 😡at this, since flying 1st class and paying for it in miles costs a lot more than economy. 2. The original flight actually DID make it in time for us to make our original connecting flight, but we were on a totally different itinerary at that point (DCA > CLT > SJU instead of DCA > PIT > SJU). So, in hindsight, we should've stayed onboard! Fortunately, a gate agent went on the plane and was able to score us 2 first class seats after all, and she must've talked to one of the flight attendants. Shortly before take-off, a very nice flight attendant brought me and my wife 2 bottles of booze (EACH!) 🍹🥃 and we got complimentary food 🥘, too. All's well that ends well. 😁

Hmm, all the airlines I fly, booze and food are complimentary in First.

And almost every drink I have been served has been a double to start.

Edited by SRF