Cruise Critic Community

I have a suggestion.  You fly in a day ahead of time so you arrive relaxed and you will be sure that you make it.  Your husband flies in whenever he wants to and if he does not make it, it is his problem while you enjoy your cruise.  I am serious about this suggestion.

BTW - you have not discussed what flight arrangements you are making to get home after the cruise.

DON

Posted (edited)

Another vote for flying in at least a day early. And that vote is based on experience. 

A few years ago we were invited to a 50th anniversary party for beloved relatives on the east coast. Due to work schedules, we decided not to take an additional vacation day and thought it would be perfectly safe to fly out the same day and arrive in the early afternoon for a dinner party starting at 6:00 pm. We booked a non-stop flight to eliminate potential problems with connections. And off we went to the airport.

We took off a couple of minutes early, and were in excellent position to arrive on time, check into our hotel, clean up a bit, and be at the party in plenty of time. 

As we flew over Nebraska, an older gentleman behind us had a heart attack. The pilot immediately diverted to the nearest airport, Kansas City. By the time we landed, handled the emergency with the poor fellow, topped off with fuel, and lifted off again, we were almost 4 hours behind schedule. We arrived at the beginning of the busy commute hours, and our taxi got stuck in traffic. By the time we arrived at the hotel the dinner party was already well on it's way. We finally arrived just after the couple we flew out to celebrate with had left for their own flight towards their second honeymoon destination.

As Maxwell Smart from the 1960's American comedy series would say:  image.jpeg.bd85c28d8648f4f7aa1b2cf0457cfbf4.jpeg

Moral of the story - it can happen, at anytime, to anyone. In our case it wasn't a missed cruise. But it was a once in a lifetime event that got missed. We so wished we had been wise enough to fly in the day before. Missed opportunities like that can never be replaced. We now always go in a day early for any activity that has a hard deadline. 

Edited by sloopsailor

10 hours ago, evandbob said:

A few winters ago, we had snow pretty consistently on Tues/Wed and also Fridays.  I usually fly LGA or JFK to MIA or FLL the morning of my cruises, so there I was on Sat with a confirmed priority seat and folks who were cancelled the day or days before were on standby.  I made the cruise no problem, don't know about the others.

I flew the morning of my cruise from NY maybe 35 or 40 times with never an issue, non stop, carry on luggage, usually on a ship by 11AM.

I realize people who have connections can't do the same, but the OP states they have a short non stop that arrives at 7:55AM, that leaves more than enough wiggle room.  And yes, I've had sailaways delayed several times so that cruise booked flights that became late could arrive.

For those needed even more of a cushion, book Florida cruises on MSC, which doesn't sail until 7pm since they allow extra time for European flight arrivals.  Or book cruises from San Juan, they usually don't leave until 9 or 10pm.

Actually there is very little wiggle room.  There are a limited number of flights from JAX to begin with.  It's not a major hub airport like LGA and JFK.  Because of it's size, it's the type of airport that would have an inbound flight cancelled in order to use the equipment where it was more needed in case of a mechanical situation with another plane.

4 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

Another vote for flying in at least a day early. And that vote is based on experience. 

A few years ago we were invited to a 50th anniversary party for beloved relatives on the east coast. Due to work schedules, we decided not to take an additional vacation day and thought it would be perfectly safe to fly out the same day and arrive in the early afternoon for a dinner party starting at 6:00 pm. We booked a non-stop flight to eliminate potential problems with connections. And off we went to the airport.

Unless you took a red eye, even with a non-stop I'm not sure how you arrived midday.  If your flight was at 6:00 am, it's about six hours on a non-stop.  Add in the three hour time difference, and you couldn't have arrived before 3:00 pm.  

The OP mentioned the cruise was early February, I'm not sure how early but just remember the Superbowl is the first weekend in Miami. Many are finding sticker shock on air and lodging.

16 hours ago, ducklite said:

The plane doesn't just go back and forth between the two airports.  Very likely it's coming in from someplace else--and that place could indeed be affected by snow.  Additionally SE GA can get ice storms.  

That may or not be true. Our airport has commuter flights that only fly from here to O'Hare and then turn right around and come back. Of course, being a state capitol that may have something to do with commuter flights.

38 minutes ago, WisconsinFan said:

That may or not be true. Our airport has commuter flights that only fly from here to O'Hare and then turn right around and come back. Of course, being a state capitol that may have something to do with commuter flights.

The only carriers that fly non-stop JAX to MIA or FLL is AA and B6.  They are not just flying back and forth.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, ducklite said:

The plane doesn't just go back and forth between the two airports.  Very likely it's coming in from someplace else--and that place could indeed be affected by snow.  Additionally SE GA can get ice storms. 

4 hours ago, ducklite said:

Actually there is very little wiggle room.  There are a limited number of flights from JAX to begin with.  It's not a major hub airport like LGA and JFK.  Because of it's size, it's the type of airport that would have an inbound flight cancelled in order to use the equipment where it was more needed in case of a mechanical situation with another plane.

4 hours ago, ducklite said:

Unless you took a red eye, even with a non-stop I'm not sure how you arrived midday.  If your flight was at 6:00 am, it's about six hours on a non-stop.  Add in the three hour time difference, and you couldn't have arrived before 3:00 pm.  

17 minutes ago, ducklite said:

The only carriers that fly non-stop JAX to MIA or FLL is AA and B6.  They are not just flying back and forth.

You must have lots of free time available to make so much of an effort to "fact check" everyone's comments so you can challenge them. It would be much more productive to actually provide answers to the OPs questions instead of trying to one-up everyone else.  🙄

Edited by PTMary

21 minutes ago, PTMary said:

You must have lots of free time available to make so much of an effort to "fact check" everyone's comments so you can challenge them. It would be much more productive to actually provide answers to the OPs questions instead of trying to one-up everyone else.  🙄

I didn't need to "fact check" anything.  It's information I already knew.  My information was overall quite relevant to the question.  

Bluesakdoo, if those are your two options I would also opt for the earlier 7:55 flight.   As already mentioned, after  you land and have gathered your luggage, have a leisurely breakfast then head over to the port.  You can even Uber over to a restaurant for breakfast if that is more appealing than eating at the airport.  

Enjoy.  

On 7/30/2019 at 3:11 PM, Zach1213 said:

As someone who also flies excessively and has the airline status to go along with that, even I may not get a seat on the next flight if mine gets cancelled or delayed. There's almost always someone with more priority in some way, and as you said, flights are often full these days. Now, take a traveler without status and have them compete with 50 other people to get one of four available seats on the next flight and...well, the math isn't positive.

Without status, you can be days later.

I also fly a LOT, and have status with all 3 alliances.

I had one personal trip from MCO back home in Dec.  My first flight was cancelled, I got rebooked on a later one.  That one was cancelled, I was rebooked out the next morning.

While waiting for the hotel shuttle, I talked to a family, who had been on my second flight.  They were rebooked out THREE days later.

Status is GOOD.

16 minutes ago, SRF said:

Without status, you can be days later.

I also fly a LOT, and have status with all 3 alliances.

I had one personal trip from MCO back home in Dec.  My first flight was cancelled, I got rebooked on a later one.  That one was cancelled, I was rebooked out the next morning.

While waiting for the hotel shuttle, I talked to a family, who had been on my second flight.  They were rebooked out THREE days later.

Status is GOOD.

One of my least favorite experiences was flying LHR-DFW-MCI in winter a few years back, after two long weeks of business in Europe (basically a different city each night for two full weeks). I was exhausted, wanted to get home. Landed in DFW to find all flights cancelled, and even with status they made it clear that getting home the next day was iffy. All hotels booked. BUT...a few rental cars were available. I made it about one hour outside of DFW before I had to stop for the night due to ice, but was able to get back on the road at 4am the next day and made it home by noon-ish. I believe most, if not all, DFW-MCI flights were cancelled that next day too, so who knows when I would have made it home!

Closest I had to that was flying in from the Far East, into Newark.

I saw the reports, so booked an airport hotel for that night.  Figuring, if I got out, I could cancel.

Got to Newark, all outgoing flights were canceled.  So I caught the shuttle to the hotel, checked in, and enjoyed my afternoon and evening. 😄