Jump to content

Deployment 2021-22 booking season begins


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, springaussie said:

Heard 2nd hand an Officer on Ovation told a Pinnacle they were going to New York in 2021. 

Time will tell. 

If so how would ovation get to New York, I don’t think it would go through the Panama Canal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

If so how would ovation get to New York, I don’t think it would go through the Panama Canal. 

NCL Joy goes through the new locks, so perhaps a Quantum class ship would also fit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, springaussie said:

Good Question.

I have thinking the same thing.

It’s a long way through the seuz to New York.

Ovation is making to much money in the pacific,I think I read somewhere it’s the 2nd biggest moneymaker.

 Its going nowhere.

Edited by Chiliburn
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kccrzr said:

 

Radiance Vancouver to Hawaii Sept 2021 is available for booking. 

 

Nevermind!  Just saw someone else posted earlier 🙂

Radiance to Hawaii might be available to book for 2021, but prices are absurdly high  compared to when Serenade to Hawaii for 2020 was released last year. We booked Serenade’s 11 night to Hawaii in a balcony cabin for 2020 for less money than an inside cabin is going for on 2021’s 10 day sailing. Hopefully prices settle down in the next week or so! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, springaussie said:

Good Question.

I have thinking the same thing.

Ovation is only 600 gross tons more than Norwegian Bliss, which does the Panama Canal often.  Would appear Ovation could fit through the new locks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

It’s a long way through the seuz to New York.

Ovation is making to much money in the pacific,I think I read somewhere it’s the 2nd biggest moneymaker.

 Its going nowhere.

Could go around Cape Horn. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, springaussie said:

Could go around Cape Horn. 

Yes,.  I was about to post the same.  

Would spend some time on West coast and Mexico and then round the Horn in the southern summer.   All it does is replace one Q class with another in NJ and Sydney.  Hard to see the motivation really.  

 

The dares for Ovation's last Alaska cruise and first Sydney cruise (as per Sydney port calendar) line up correctly.  I think Ovation will return to Sydney.

It's the anticipated second Q class ship for Sydney that is less certain.  Just guesses.

Edited by geoff2802
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mugtech said:

NCL Joy goes through the new locks, so perhaps a Quantum class ship would also fit.

This is only true because NCL Joy was specifically designed to go through the new locks. Carnival Panorama is around the same size as the NCL Joy and Ovation of the Seas, but must go around Cape Horn because it wasn't designed to fit through the Panama Canal since the lifeboats extend too far out from the ship. Also, I haven't heard of any Quantum class ship going through the Panama Canal, since Ovation did a TP cruise and never hit the East Coast or the Caribbean.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

This is only true because NCL Joy was specifically designed to go through the new locks. Carnival Panorama is around the same size as the NCL Joy and Ovation of the Seas, but must go around Cape Horn because it wasn't designed to fit through the Panama Canal since the lifeboats extend too far out from the ship. Also, I haven't heard of any Quantum class ship going through the Panama Canal, since Ovation did a TP cruise and never hit the East Coast or the Caribbean.

The issue may be the lifeboats.  Without mules guiding the ships in the new locks, anything hanging over the side below a certain height can hit the lock walls at the lowest level.  If the lifeboats hang over the sides, that can be a problem.

 

 Roy 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

The issue may be the lifeboats.  Without mules guiding the ships in the new locks, anything hanging over the side below a certain height can hit the lock walls at the lowest level.  If the lifeboats hang over the sides, that can be a problem.

 

 Roy 

Okay, what buffoon did away with the mules?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

If so how would ovation get to New York, I don’t think it would go through the Panama Canal. 

 

16 hours ago, mugtech said:

NCL Joy goes through the new locks, so perhaps a Quantum class ship would also fit.

 

15 hours ago, springaussie said:

Good Question.

I have thinking the same thing.

 

In 2014 on Quantum's 1st Caribbean sailing in the bridge control room during the All Access Tour, I posted here on CC within in my review a photo of a full sheet based on Panama Canal measurements for the ship. I personally believe there's no doubt she can get through the new locks, even with the lifeboat issue as they are "inset" from the hull.... I believe Q Class is same beam at waterline as NCL Bliss/Joy. After many Panama Canal threads on this forum, with experienced posters like ChengP and BillB48 (who have sailed through the Canal) sharing what they think, the only thing I believed stopping a Q Class ship was the height of the Bridge of Americas on the Pacific side.

 

I think now that has also been answered, as Ovation went under the Lion's gate bridge in Vancouver with ease (lowest tide and funnels retracted)... Lion's Gate is almost an exact twin to the BoA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

I believe Q Class is same beam at waterline as NCL Bliss/Joy.

 

Good point there. If not the same beam, then very close as they were both built in the same Shipyard and had to go through those tight locks on the Ems River.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

 

Good point there. If not the same beam, then very close as they were both built in the same Shipyard and had to go through those tight locks on the Ems River.

Do you know how many ships at a time can be build at Meyer Turku?

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Do you know how many ships at a time can be build at Meyer Turku?

 

Do you mean Mayer Werft at Pappenburg where Ovation was built? If so, in Hall 6, One and a half (or two thirds). And then a small to mid size ship can be built in Hall 5. A lot of the small to mid side Aida ships were built in Hall 5. 

 

I believe Mayer Turku has one main big dock. So one ship is built in that dock until it's floated out while portions of a next ship are assembled outside the dock. When the ship is the dock is floated out the next in line will have is blocks put into place and so on.   

Edited by Tall-Cruiser
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

 

Do you mean Mayer Werft at Pappenburg where Ovation was built? If so, in Hall 6, One and a half (or two thirds). And then a small to mid size ship can be built in Hall 5. A lot of the small to mid side Aida ships were built in Hall 5. 

 

I believe Mayer Turku has one main big dock. So one ship is built in that dock until it's floated out while portions of a next ship are assembled outside the dock. When the ship is the dock is floated out the next in line will have is blocks put into place and so on.   

Oh! I did not know Meyer Werft and Meyer Turku were completely different shipyards. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Clarea changed the title to Harmony Replacement in PC

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...