Bringing beverages aboard

cruisernan

On 8/30/2019 at 4:16 PM, leerathje said:

And how is bottled wine (with corks :classic_wink: ) handled?  It wasn't clear from above comments.

We don't drink much alcohol, except for an occasional bottle of nice wine, which we usually try to bring on board if that is allowed with (or without!) a corkage fee.   Does it matter if one drinks it in, say, a Dining Room or just in one's cabin/suite?

HAL Terms & Conditions

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BROUGHT ON BOARD Each guest 21^ years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

This is so interesting. So we thought only one bottle of wine per adult. We're happy to pay the corkage fee so we can have wine we prefer unless you tell me they have good wine on board anyway that we can purchase. We always prefer BYOB's so we can bring good wine to restaurants even if they charge corkage (never 18 in a restaurant, but the rules are the rules and we're fine with that). 

Will they provide wine glasses in the rooms for the "free," wines? (We have a Neptune suite) or should we bring a corkscrew and plastic glasses? 

Thanks. Trying not to be naughty!

56 minutes ago, Ellen495 said:

Will they provide wine glasses in the rooms for the "free," wines? (We have a Neptune suite) or should we bring a corkscrew and plastic glasses? 

There are always wine glasses in the Neptunes.  If you need more (for entertainment, etc.) just ask your steward or the concierge.

There is supposed to be a corkscrew and usually is.  We tend to pack one anyways for hotel rooms, etc. But so far, there’s always been one supplied other than one cruise many years ago.

Hope this helps 🙂 

15 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks very much.  I'll post a more general question separately, but we'd love to know about your experiences.

We had zero idea that DH had celiac disease (or even any "sensitivity", until he had a totally separate procedrure and they could see some real damage that could only be explained by celiac disease.  So he quickly had more testing, and his levels were totally off the charts, to everyone's amazement.  He went completely gluten free immediately, no surprise, and later re-testing show his levels were still 'off', but at least in a "normally  off" amount.  And surprisingly, a few other vague symptoms have disappeared.

A real case of "Who Knew!"?"😱

We've been finding that there tend to be a lot of gluten-free choices just about everywhere these days (including lots of gluten-free pasta in Italy - amazing!).

Is it important to choose meals in advance, on HAL or are there some GF choices available on short notice if one isn't too fussy and doesn't need/expect to eat "item A right now", etc.?

"Good" bread and rolls seem to be the most difficult to find, but whatever they have is what they have, of course.

Many thanks.

GC

My brother was diagnosed over 7 years ago, so he has lots of experience dealing with it. First of all, contact HAL before your cruise and let them know that DH has Celiacs. 

There was 5 of us travelling together, 1 with Celiacs. My brother would often order from room service for breakfast off the door hanger you get.  Just make sure you indicate on the door hanger that DH has Celiacs.  While at sea,  my brother and SIL ate in the MDR for lunches, and we ate as a family pretty much every night in the MDR, as you can be assured of gluten free meals there.  They will bring you a menu every night after dinner, and you simply order from that menu for the next day!  I'm sure you can just drop in as well as we did that one evening too.  

He did eat in the Lido every now and again...often would stop in for a late evening snack after one of the shows. They have stations that are GF (I know for sure they have GF desserts!  lol) Just let any of the servers in the Lido know that DH has Celiacs, and they can let you know of options.  Everyone was so helpful! My brother was very pleased to see that the Lido was NOT serve yourself...less chance of cross-contamination.  Some complain that the line-ups are longer, but IMHO, I'd rather have them serve than worry about every sick person handing serving spoons, never mind issues like Celiacs.

We did eat at Tamarind (one of the specialty restaurants) one evening,  and it was easy-peasy! We stopped in the evening before to ask if we had to let them know that we were eating there the next day, but they said it wasn't necesaary!  I had my doubts, but when we arrived for dinner my brother let our server know that he had Celiacs, and she was able to steer him to GF options on the menu. 

My brother had NO issues with Celiacs while we were on board.  Be aware, ask lots of questions, and have a great time!  I've sent my brother a message asking about rolls, and will reply back when I hear further.

16 hours ago, CanEcosse said:

HAL Terms & Conditions

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BROUGHT ON BOARD Each guest 21^ years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

Just to clarify, the above quote was NOT my comment...I was commenting on GeezerCouple's comment.  😊

13 minutes ago, leerathje said:

My brother was diagnosed over 7 years ago, so he has lots of experience dealing with it. First of all, contact HAL before your cruise and let them know that DH has Celiacs. 

There was 5 of us travelling together, 1 with Celiacs. My brother would often order from room service for breakfast off the door hanger you get.  Just make sure you indicate on the door hanger that DH has Celiacs.  While at sea,  my brother and SIL ate in the MDR for lunches, and we ate as a family pretty much every night in the MDR, as you can be assured of gluten free meals there.  They will bring you a menu every night after dinner, and you simply order from that menu for the next day!  I'm sure you can just drop in as well as we did that one evening too.  

He did eat in the Lido every now and again...often would stop in for a late evening snack after one of the shows. They have stations that are GF (I know for sure they have GF desserts!  lol) Just let any of the servers in the Lido know that DH has Celiacs, and they can let you know of options.  Everyone was so helpful! My brother was very pleased to see that the Lido was NOT serve yourself...less chance of cross-contamination.  Some complain that the line-ups are longer, but IMHO, I'd rather have them serve than worry about every sick person handing serving spoons, never mind issues like Celiacs.

We did eat at Tamarind (one of the specialty restaurants) one evening,  and it was easy-peasy! We stopped in the evening before to ask if we had to let them know that we were eating there the next day, but they said it wasn't necesaary!  I had my doubts, but when we arrived for dinner my brother let our server know that he had Celiacs, and she was able to steer him to GF options on the menu. 

My brother had NO issues with Celiacs while we were on board.  Be aware, ask lots of questions, and have a great time!  I've sent my brother a message asking about rolls, and will reply back when I hear further.

This is what we had hoped, and is great to hear!

And yes, we'll be notifying HAL.  

(It must have been so much more difficult years ago with this condition, but recently there are not only true celiacs, but those with some sensitivity, as well as some who just prefer to avoid gluten.  Thus, there are so many more product produced "gluten free" as well as chefs being prepared about it.  Thank goodness!  We were just *so* surprised to find this out at a relatively, er, "advanced age".)

Thanks very much.

GC

10 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

This is what we had hoped, and is great to hear!

And yes, we'll be notifying HAL.  

(It must have been so much more difficult years ago with this condition, but recently there are not only true celiacs, but those with some sensitivity, as well as some who just prefer to avoid gluten.  Thus, there are so many more product produced "gluten free" as well as chefs being prepared about it.  Thank goodness!  We were just *so* surprised to find this out at a relatively, er, "advanced age".)

Thanks very much.

GC

Checked with my brother....they do have GF buns!  He said they had them on the Lido, and were pre-wrapped.  (Yay!  no cross contamination!!) He said they had bagels as well.

7 minutes ago, leerathje said:

Checked with my brother....they do have GF buns!  He said they had them on the Lido, and were pre-wrapped.  (Yay!  no cross contamination!!) He said they had bagels as well.

Bagels!? :classic_smile:

That will be nice.. er, if they tast good.  We've found a remarkable variability in the tastiness (or lack thereof) in the "bread" type products.

We are still less than one year from diagnosis, so we aren't all that far along on the "adaptation" curve.

DH did find a *wonderful* sliced bread (supposedly sourdough) that is sold in sealed packages with some sort of packet inside to retain freshness. It's so good that if he makes a sandwich or toast and I have some, I don't even realize it's "that" bread.  But it's expensive, and relatively perishable, in terms of longer-term, so unless someone has that particular recipe (which I'm sure is strict "intellectual property"!), it wouldn't be possible for others to stock it "in case" it's needed, or for long term needsl

OTOH, he had a "turkey club sandwich" locally that was by far the slimiest, most disgusting food either of us has tasted in ages.  But it was nicely wrapped in plastic to avoid cross-contamination!  That is... it didn't contaminate MY sandwich! 😱

GC

When I sailed HAL this past January, we were allowed to bring with: (1) in our suitcase, one bottle of wine without a corkage fee to drink only in our cabin; (2) in our carry-onas much bottled water as the carry-on would hold; and (3) in our carry-onas much canned soda as the carry-on would hold. HAL might have allowed other beverages but I didn’t pay attention because I wasn't interested. 

What I don’t know is how HAL enforces these limits given all the ports visited. For example, how does HAL know if the bottle of wine I buy in port is my first or second bottle?

4 hours ago, lynneranney said:

What I don’t know is how HAL enforces these limits given all the ports visited. For example, how does HAL know if the bottle of wine I buy in port is my first or second bottle?

Any bottle brought on at embarkation in excess of 1 or in any port after embarkation  is a bottle you pay corkage on and accordingly, a sticker is placed on it.

The ‘free’ bottle is only permitted on embarkation day.

Having been on many cruises (not on HAL), it is hard to believe that HAL takes the time searching through 1300+ pieces of checked luggage to find a few ounces of “smuggled” booze.  That certainly would cost more in labor hours than it would save in some unsold drinks and might prevent passengers from sailing on HAL again.

1 hour ago, cruisernan said:

Having been on many cruises (not on HAL), it is hard to believe that HAL takes the time searching through 1300+ pieces of checked luggage to find a few ounces of “smuggled” booze.  That certainly would cost more in labor hours than it would save in some unsold drinks and might prevent passengers from sailing on HAL again.

On our recent cruise departing Vancouver on the Westerdam our carry on luggage was never searched or x rayed by HAL.  Of course we went through US Customs security, but that was the only time our carry on luggage was inspected.

HAL did have bag screening when returning from ports.

That would be the normal for other cruise lines.  I certainly understand, and agree with, bag screening returning from port.  I’m just not comfortable with the staff going through my “undies,” etc. and waiting for luggage to be searched before arriving in our cabin.

On both of our recent departures from Port Everglades (one with Princess and the other with X) we wrapped one 24 pack of soda with duct tape attached an official luggage tag with our room number and handed it to the porter with our main luggage at the bag drop. On both occasions the cases of sodas were delivered to our stateroom with no problem. This would apply equally well to waters. This only works if you are driving to the port of course. Not sure how HAL would handle it but our next cruise on HAL is also from Port Everglades.

3 minutes ago, clianmel said:

On both of our recent departures from Port Everglades (one with Princess and the other with X) we wrapped one 24 pack of soda with duct tape attached an official luggage tag with our room number and handed it to the porter with our main luggage at the bag drop. On both occasions the cases of sodas were delivered to our stateroom with no problem. This would apply equally well to waters. This only works if you are driving to the port of course. Not sure how HAL would handle it but our next cruise on HAL is also from Port Everglades.

In the past, we've taken a taxi to the ship, and en route stopped to pick up either soft drinks/water, or, separately, wine.  We hand carried the wine.

Neither of these wre with HAL... yet...

GC

1 hour ago, cruisernan said:

I’m just not comfortable with the staff going through my “undies,” etc. and waiting for luggage to be searched before arriving in our cabin.

If the x-ray scan shows a suspicious bottle/item in your suitcase you will be called down to open it in their presence.  They do not open it without you present.

We are sailing in January. We always bring the one bottle of wine apiece to drink in the room. We are more than disappointed with the selections of wines in the packages and are thinking for bringing more wine and paying corkage. We would like to bring them from our wine cellar from home. If we pack them in our checked luggage do we need to bring that through security or can we give it to the porter and then wait to be called to the “naughty room” to pay the corkage fee and have them tagged?  I have seen people bring a case of wine through security, but they have it on wheels, which we wouldn’t have

That's a great question - we would buy wine in Anchorage to bring on board other than the one each if that's allowed. I don't mind paying the 18 rather than awful wine.

OR - do they have a "liquor store," on board with better liquor one is allowed to purchase and use without corkage? I'm sure it would be more than in a liquor store off board ,but if it's just a few dollars more, that would be convenient. 

1 hour ago, Ellen495 said:

That's a great question - we would buy wine in Anchorage to bring on board other than the one each if that's allowed. I don't mind paying the 18 rather than awful wine.

OR - do they have a "liquor store," on board with better liquor one is allowed to purchase and use without corkage? I'm sure it would be more than in a liquor store off board ,but if it's just a few dollars more, that would be convenient. 

We have found their “better” wines can be upwards of $100/bottle. They charge around $40/bottle for mediocre wines we could get at home for around $9.99. Would rather bring our really good wines from home and add on the $18 corkage and know we are getting good wine

9 minutes ago, Ellen495 said:

ME TOO. So we can bring whatever so long as we know we have to pay 18? How do we let them know we know and aren't trying to do something sneaky? I would hate that!

Just carry it on, pay the corkage and the deal is done.  Easy 😄  that applies to wine only though - not liquor, etc.

You can drink that wine in any public area on the ship (including the MDR) unlike the ‘free’ bottle which is only for in room consumption.

7 minutes ago, Ellen495 said:

ME TOO. So we can bring whatever so long as we know we have to pay 18? How do we let them know we know and aren't trying to do something sneaky? I would hate that!

My question exactly!  We are doing a 16 day cruise. We would pay corkage fee for the “free” ones we bring to drink in the room, but would bring at least 6 other bottles to enjoy in the dining room. But we would need to

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Just carry it on, pay the corkage and the deal is done.  Easy 😄 

You can drink that wine in any public area on the ship (including the MDR) unlike the ‘free’ bottle which is only for in room consumption.

My question was how do we bring in the extra bottles?  Do we have to have them at check in.or can we keep them in our luggage we give to the porter?  I would assume if we did that, they would keep our luggage and have us come to the “naughty room”. Can we let them know ahead of time at the check in desk that we have extra wine in our luggage we gave to the porter and avoid the “naughty room” and late arrival of our luggage?

18 minutes ago, cabinluvn said:

My question was how do we bring in the extra bottles?

You must carry them aboard yourself. Put them in a roll-aboard suitcase, and drag it along behind you. There are wine carriers you can purchase. Purchase the wine in ports and carry the bottles back when your hands aren't as full. 
The wine bottles do not go in checked luggage when you board the ship.