Bringing beverages aboard

cruisernan

22 minutes ago, cabinluvn said:

My question was how do we bring in the extra bottles?  Do we have to have them at check in.or can we keep them in our luggage we give to the porter?  I would assume if we did that, they would keep our luggage and have us come to the “naughty room”. Can we let them know ahead of time at the check in desk that we have extra wine in our luggage we gave to the porter and avoid the “naughty room” and late arrival of our luggage?

The "Know Before You Go" brochure (available on the HAL website, by the way) is quite clear that all wine must be brought on board at embarkation in your carry-on luggage.   

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BROUGHT ON BOARD Each guest 21^ years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

Edited by taxmantoo

18 minutes ago, cabinluvn said:

My question exactly!  We are doing a 16 day cruise. We would pay corkage fee for the “free” ones we bring to drink in the room, but would bring at least 6 other bottles to enjoy in the dining room. But we would need to

My question was how do we bring in the extra bottles?  Do we have to have them at check in.or can we keep them in our luggage we give to the porter?  I would assume if we did that, they would keep our luggage and have us come to the “naughty room”. Can we let them know ahead of time at the check in desk that we have extra wine in our luggage we gave to the porter and avoid the “naughty room” and late arrival of our luggage?

You CARRY them on.  It's specifically stated on your luggage tags that you print.

You SHOULD present them after you go through Xray. You will be directed there.

They don't go in luggage - you carry them on.  At least you are supposed to and yes, you will go the naughty room and have your luggage delayed if it is in your luggage.

Have you seen how luggage is handled by the stevedores???  I sure wouldn't want a bottle of wine in mine 😉 . 

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

Have you seen how luggage is handled by the stevedores???  I sure wouldn't want a bottle of wine in mine 😉 . 

I'll never forget the time a crate of luggage being loaded onto the ship missed the ship, and fell into the sea. 
It was retrieved, and HAL cleaned everyone's clothes. Except for the person who had a bottle of something that wasn't supposed to be in there that broke all over the clothes. That person was on his own. 

• Haha 1

I understand HAL does not have Coke/Diet Coke in *bottles*, but does have cans available.

If one does not have the Quench or other Package, how much does it cost to get a can of Diet Coke (and does that include the service charge)?

One can have these delivered to the cabin/suite for the charge, but not if part of a Package, correct?

And if one gets one from the Suite Lounge, one is also charged, I assume?  But could one take/buy several to keep a supply in the suite?

And likewise for the large bottles of San Pellegrino, meaning if one has a package, "delivery" to a cabin/suite is not included?

And the same with specialty coffees?

And one can NOT order these (e.g., a bottle of San Pellegrino or a Diet Coke) in the dining rooms, unless one pays, even if one has a package?  Can one carry in either/both of these if they have been purchased from HAL (and not carried on board, etc.)?

Any other "tricks" about deciding whether to get a Quench Package or not, in terms of relative costs (assuming we estimate in advance how many of <each> we are likely to consume)?

In terms of alcoholic beverages, we'd order wine by the bottle or bring it on board, and perhaps have a very occasional cocktail, so the beverage packages "with booze" almost never make sense for us.

Thanks!

GC

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

The charge will go on your on-board account. The bottles will get a sticker to prove you have paid. 

We boarded the Westerdam in Vancouver a few weeks ago and they did not put stickers on the bottles for which we paid corkage.  After reading on this forum that we would get stickers I was surprised and asked about it.  The man collecting the fee said don't worry about it.

We took the wine to the MDR and told the wine steward corkage had been paid.  He was able to check and everything was okay.

The man collecting the corkage fees was sitting at a small table in the area where we went through Customs, right as we cleared Customs to go to the waiting area to board the ship. I would guess that varies by port.

4 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

I understand HAL does not have Coke/Diet Coke in *bottles*, but does have cans available.

If one does not have the Quench or other Package, how much does it cost to get a can of Diet Coke (and does that include the service charge)?   $2.25 plus 15% gratuity

One can have these delivered to the cabin/suite for the charge, but not if part of a Package, correct?  Yes you can get delivered drinks from  Room Service or from the mini bar steward.  They will be charged to your cabin account.

And if one gets one from the Suite Lounge, one is also charged, I assume?  Yes.  But could one take/buy several to keep a supply in the suite?  See above. Just order from room service or the mini bar steward. 

And likewise for the large bottles of San Pellegrino, meaning if one has a package, "delivery" to a cabin/suite is not included?  All in cabin drink deliveries are charged extra.  They are NOT included in beverage packages.

San Pellegrino $5.00 + 15% gratuity

And the same with specialty coffees? Yep

And one can NOT order these (e.g., a bottle of San Pellegrino or a Diet Coke) in the dining rooms, unless one pays, even if one has a package? NOIf drinks covered by your beverage package are ordered in any dining rooms or bars they get charged to the beverage package. Can one carry in either/both of these if they have been purchased from HAL (and not carried on board, etc.)?  Yes.  For example if you have a drink you got on your beverage package in a bar, you can carry it into the dining room or anywhere on the ship.

Any other "tricks" about deciding whether to get a Quench Package or not, in terms of relative costs (assuming we estimate in advance how many of <each> we are likely to consume)?  If you do the math and it works for the amount you will consume then the packages are good.

In terms of alcoholic beverages, we'd order wine by the bottle or bring it on board, and perhaps have a very occasional cocktail, so the beverage packages "with booze" almost never make sense for us.

Thanks!

GC

Here is the link to Roger Jett's excellent site with current drink/food menus.  All kinds of useful information there!!  

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/

~Nancy

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oakridger said:

Here is the link to Roger Jett's excellent site with current drink/food menus.  All kinds of useful information there!!  

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/

~Nancy

Thanks so much for your answers!

Also, on that link, is Page 6 missing?  I would have thought there should be a list of RED "JS  90+ wines by the glass" with two pour sizes", as there is for White...?

Cheers!

GC