"Simply Hotel"

nowornever

Does anyone have experience with a "Simply Hotel" in Ft. Lauderdale?  I have visions of Holiday Inn Express rather than the Ritz-Carlton.  This is included with our Jan. Grand Voyage but it doesn't sound so Grand.  A previous GV included the Ritz-Carlton but apparently there are now cut-backs.  

1 hour ago, nowornever said:

Does anyone have experience with a "Simply Hotel" in Ft. Lauderdale?  I have visions of Holiday Inn Express rather than the Ritz-Carlton.  This is included with our Jan. Grand Voyage but it doesn't sound so Grand.  A previous GV included the Ritz-Carlton but apparently there are now cut-backs.  

Are you on the full Grand Voyage?  The website (and other information) suggest that the included pre-voyage hotel night for guests on the full GV will be at Biltmore Coral Gabels hotel.  That's a classic 5* hotel, not shabby.  And certainly not Holiday Inn Express.

Edited by Observer

Observer, would you mind telling me where/how you found that because it's not available on my website or through our travel agent?  Are you in the UK in which case the website might be different.  The hotel looks quite nice but Coral Gables is pretty far away (not as the crow flies but traffic wise)  from Ft. Lauderdale so that seems a little odd.  Yes, we are on the full GV.  

Edited by nowornever
snarky

29 minutes ago, nowornever said:

Observer, would you mind telling me where/how you found that because it's not available on my website or through our travel agent?  Are you in the UK in which case the website might be different.  The hotel looks quite nice but Coral Gables is pretty far away (not as the crow flies but traffic wise)  from Ft. Lauderdale so that seems a little odd.  Yes, we are on the full GV.  

Try using this link, and then scrolling down to "Benefits"

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/grand-voyages-cruise/grand-voyage-2020-south-america.html#menu-cruise2018suites

I have stayed several times at the Biltmore, and it is a fine old hotel.

SS will doubtless provide transport to Shadow from the hotel.  I would imagine that a number of guests will be flying into MIA rather than FLL (esp. if they are coming from overseas).  Though I am US-based, for various reasons I always use MIA for Port Everglades departures.  

Enjoy your (apparently sold-out!) cruise on a refreshed Shadow.

Thanks so much for the info.  The hotel was not listed there a week ago - it pays to check back, doesn't it?  Now the post night offer has disappeared, probably because it's sold out, but it's on our "contract".  Just hope it's not the same hotel  as we fly out of FLL early the following morning - excellent non stop flight to SEA.  (I know, real first world problem!)  Yes, totally looking forward to seeing the Muse-ification of the Shadow.  Again, thank you Observer!

• 4 months later...

I have not been to the Biltmore for several years.  Neighbors stayed there recently before and after a cruise (not on Silversea).  They are reasonable people and they  were scathing in describing their two experiences there.  Having opined about this property based on experience some time ago, I thought I should report.  Is this hotel in fact being used to put up people on the forthcoming Grand Voyage to South America? 

Yes, Observer, it is the hotel for the Grand Voyagers on 23 Jan including the "gala" which they are labeling as Ai Caramba.   I've been looking at the Biltmore reviews on tripadvisor & they are certainly not great, so many complaints. I'm really sorry about your friends.  I wonder if Royal Caribbean has any ownership in the Biltmore? If not, they must get a sweetheart deal !  Last year, the pre-night was at the Ritz-Carlton, Ft. Lauderdale so I was a little surprised that they changed it to Coral Gables since they will need to take us individually from FLL to the Biltmore by car & then to the ship the following morning as a group.  Who knows how many GV people there are this year?  In 2017 there were 85 & last year only 35. The post cruise night for those of us who have early flights still says "Simply Hotel" but their website shows that they use the Conrad at Ft. Lauderdale Beach which looks awfully nice.  Stay tuned...I'm still hoping for the best!

Great thought Stumblefoot but in Jan 2017, the South Am GV was on the Spirit. I think the Fall 2017 GV was on the Muse but we came later -  the Muse South American GV in  Jan'18, but yes, you are right, it was such a treat to be on the Muse then with all the new amenities.  There was a big wow factor !  There was no Arts Cafe on the Spirit in 2017 & the color pallet wasn't "Museified."  I still like the outside decking on the Spirit outside the Observation Lounge that they took away from the Muse. Such a great place weather permitting.   I heard that the 2017 Fall Muse South American cruise was why there were so few people in Jan 2018.  These are really first world issues aren't they?  

13 hours ago, nowornever said:

Yes, Observer, it is the hotel for the Grand Voyagers on 23 Jan including the "gala" which they are labeling as Ai Caramba.   I've been looking at the Biltmore reviews on tripadvisor & they are certainly not great, so many complaints. I'm really sorry about your friends.  I wonder if Royal Caribbean has any ownership in the Biltmore? If not, they must get a sweetheart deal !  Last year, the pre-night was at the Ritz-Carlton,...

Sorry to learn that it is Biltmore and that TripAdvisor confirms my friends’ experience.  Don’t know why SS would have chosen this property for customers who are paying big bucks.  Their publicity mentions chains like JW Marriott, Fairmont, Conrad.  Biltmore is a member of no chain.  I always stay at chain hotels whenever possible because of corporate standards.  One generally knows what one will get because of corporate standards.  I would prefer the predictability of a *** Courtyard or Hilton Garden Inn to an independent ****.  Of course, I would prefer JW Marriott, Fairmont, and Conrad to all of these.  I think the Conrad in Ft Lauderdale was built as a condo and (as I recall) all rooms have at least small kitchens, 

16 hours ago, nowornever said:

Great thought Stumblefoot but in Jan 2017, the South Am GV was on the Spirit. I think the Fall 2017 GV was on the Muse but we came later -  the Muse South American GV in  Jan'18, but yes, you are right, it was such a treat to be on the Muse then with all the new amenities.  There was a big wow factor !

I heard that the 2017 Fall Muse South American cruise was why there were so few people in Jan 2018.

Ah, my bad nowornever.  I didn’t realize you were writing about the Spirit.  Or, heck, even that SS had done a SA grand voyage on two separate ships.  Thx for the clarification!  

You are right.  The Muse GV in the fall of ‘17 would have definitely impacted the Spirit’s GV in the winter of ‘18.

11 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

I didn’t realize you were writing about the Spirit.  Or, heck, even that SS had done a SA grand voyage on two separate ships.  Thx for the clarification!  

You are right.  The Muse GV in the fall of ‘17 would have definitely impacted the Spirit’s GV in the winter of ‘18.

If my memory is correct (I haven’t checked) it will have been four separate ships since Shadow is doing the SA GV next year (2020) and Moon the year after.  

Correct, Observer.  Last year only the Valpo-BA segment was sold out but on the Shadow, all segments are sold out.  Maybe they decided to try it with a smaller ship since it wasn't completely sold out?  Who knows how these decisions are made....seriously, does anyone know?  We waited until Feb. this year to book it & were to change cabins mid-way but fortunately one opened up for the entirety.  It's not even a great verandah - very far forward but it beats being snowed in here again this winter !  I suspect the Moon will sell out in 2021 also because of the wow factor !  As a side note, the 2017 GV on the Spirit did not include a pre-night nor did it include the luggage shipping which is the best benefit ever.  No idea why - I'm just delighted it's once again included.  Down to 40 days...tick tock.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nowornever said:

I suspect the Moon will sell out in 2021 also because of the wow factor ! 

Do you really think there will be a wow factor to Moon?  Apart from SALT, I gather it won’t be much different from current Spirit and Muse.  It will be very familiar, and perhaps that’s the point.  Now I do see wow factor with Shadow, which will be a transformed version of Whisper in many ways and will be unique (unless they redo deck 5, etc., of Whisper).

9 hours ago, Observer said:

Do you really think there will be a wow factor to Moon?  Apart from SALT, I gather it won’t be much different from current Spirit and Muse.

I realize your question is to nowornever, but wanted to chime in too.  I think SALT is a definitive Wow factor that will separate the Moon from the other ships.  And, if the early reads are exciting, I imagine we'll see the Muse and Spirit adapt its dining venues in order to include the SALT concept.  Personally, as good as SS food typically is, they've always had an opportunity to adapt their ability to localize their offerings.  And, SALT gives them the venue to do so.

Edited by Stumblefoot

I had thought —- though I do not know why — that SALT was not going to be unique to Moon but would also be rolled out at around the same time to Spirit and Muse, replacing Indochine.  If that is the case, there would be consistency across the fleet with Muse class ships.  Moon, however, would have the SALT kitchen.  

Perhaps someone has info beyond my foggy recollection/speculation.  🙂

1 hour ago, Observer said:

I had thought —- though I do not know why — that SALT was not going to be unique to Moon but would also be rolled out at around the same time to Spirit and Muse, replacing Indochine.

Yeah, I don't know about that.  I know SALT is replacing Indochine on the Moon, but wasn't aware SS was retrofitting the Muse and Spirit to accommodate SALT. 

I know when we were on the Muse in Asia last February, SS had planned an Asia voyage between March 8 - 21 to test the SALT concept.