Do shows repeat?

zitsky

2 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Show times were our one disappointment on Star last Nov.  There was just one show nightly at 9:15.  Everyone wanted to attend but theater simply too small.  Always a large line waiting for doors to open.  Every night hotel director Leitner would personally carry in extra chairs and benches.  Still lots of folks standing in rear or outside in corridor.  Never understood why they didn't perform shows twice nightly like other lines.

I guess every cruise is different, but based on experience, Baron, you must have had bad luck.

Every VOC we've been on and every one our various friends has been on (probably 10 total) have never experienced what you describe.   So others like Zitsky, take heart.

The 9:15 shows were indeed popular but we learned to arrive early (like 8:40 to 8:45).  The doors were never closed, so there were never people lined up to get inside.  People started coming between 8:45 to 9:00 or so.  The shows certainly were well attended, but you could always look around and see some empty seats, and never had anyone "bringing in" extra chairs.  

As I said, every cruise is different, but yours might have been the exception, not the rule.

54 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

I guess every cruise is different, but based on experience, Baron, you must have had bad luck.

Every VOC we've been on and every one our various friends has been on (probably 10 total) have never experienced what you describe.   So others like Zitsky, take heart.

The 9:15 shows were indeed popular but we learned to arrive early (like 8:40 to 8:45).  The doors were never closed, so there were never people lined up to get inside.  People started coming between 8:45 to 9:00 or so.  The shows certainly were well attended, but you could always look around and see some empty seats, and never had anyone "bringing in" extra chairs.  

As I said, every cruise is different, but yours might have been the exception, not the rule.

Ok.  I was starting to wonder.

Would they delay the shows on the nights I have an 8pm dinner reservation?  Maybe push the shows back to 10pm?

LOL

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

On your sailings was there one nightly performance or 2?

Ours was a 15 night repo from NY to Miami via the ABC islands.  It contained a half dozen sea days so shows may have been better attended than usual.  The theater can only hold 1/2 - 3/4 of passengers, so with only one performance not everyone can fit.  We always arrived before 9pm and got good seats.  

2 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

On your sailings was there one nightly performance or 2?

Ours was a 15 night repo from NY to Miami via the ABC islands.  It contained a half dozen sea days so shows may have been better attended than usual.  The theater can only hold 1/2 - 3/4 of passengers, so with only one performance not everyone can fit.  We always arrived before 9pm and got good seats.  

Baron - 2 of our cruises were 15 day cruises with just one performance at 9:15.  As I said, always had some empty seats (maybe 10?) but never standing room only.   The other was a 10 day Caribbean cruise which had 6:15 and 9:15.  Those were pretty lightly attended.  ON that cruise, several of us had the theory that they had 2 shows because it got dark at 5:00 and people wanted something to do!  You have a point though - perhaps cruises with lots of sea days have more attendance.  Our 15 day cruises had 1 and 2 sea days apiece - that's all   (Homelands and Western Europe).

14 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You know Viking really should have reserved seating for Cruise Critic members.

Too funny, Zitsky.  Hah - they already have a problem with no-shows to dinner reservations - of course, that let's all of us who don't have top billing, get to the specialty restaurants just fine at the last minute.

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

he other was a 10 day Caribbean cruise which had 6:15 and 9:15.  Those were pretty lightly attended.  ON that cruise, several of us had the theory that they had 2 shows because it got dark at 5:00 and people wanted something to do!

Three NYE cruises in the Med. Dark by 5:30 but only one show at 9:15. Maybe it is that the Caribbean cruises draw a different demographic with different expectations.