Cruise Critic Community
dkjretired

Bonus Captains Club point offer

I've discussed the idea of a level between Elite+ and Zenith with some of the top people in the Miami office and I'm convinced that they just don't want to consider it. I believe you need to go back to the time they added the new levels to understand what I believe is there thinking. They actually designed the loyalty program to save money. It was much to easy to reach the Elite level under the old formula and too many were making that level very quickly. They wanted to slow down the number of average cruisers making it to Elite and went to a formula based on cabin type. At the same time they added 2 new levels, Elite+ and Zenith. The Zenith benefits were the best loyalty perks in the industry. On a call to the Miami office concerning another matter, I specifically said that the program seemed to be designed to slow down people reaching the Elite level and at the same time creating a loyalty level that would enable Celebrity to correctly claim that they had the best program for their most loyal passengers. The Executive from Celebrity responded that "I was one of the few who really understood their strategy". I was left with the impression that once the loyalty program was released that was the end of discussion and they would not consider additional levels and benefits. Possible that changing markets and new staff will bring some changes, but so far my initial impressions have proven to be correct. 

Posted (edited)

I pretty much agree with Orator's statement above.  Adding another level would be very expensive as they would have to add a perk commensurate with the level.  Something like a Classic Bev Package or 1 Device Unlimited Wifi or something like that.  Generally like last time these programs are extended to accommodate people reaching the top goal.  Inserting a level once a significant population has passed that goal can be seen as not fair to them, the most loyal customers.

I think it would make more sense would be to add a milestone benefit after reaching Elite +.  Something like once every 500 points (1250, 1750, 2250, 2750 and beyond Zenith) you get a free specialty or unlimited Wifi or something like that which really doesn't cost them much.  It's not a benefit that each person gets in perpetuity so there would be few if any who would be receiving this on each sailing

Edited by wrk2cruise

2 hours ago, Orator said:

I've discussed the idea of a level between Elite+ and Zenith with some of the top people in the Miami office and I'm convinced that they just don't want to consider it. I believe you need to go back to the time they added the new levels to understand what I believe is there thinking. They actually designed the loyalty program to save money. It was much to easy to reach the Elite level under the old formula and too many were making that level very quickly. They wanted to slow down the number of average cruisers making it to Elite and went to a formula based on cabin type. At the same time they added 2 new levels, Elite+ and Zenith. The Zenith benefits were the best loyalty perks in the industry. On a call to the Miami office concerning another matter, I specifically said that the program seemed to be designed to slow down people reaching the Elite level and at the same time creating a loyalty level that would enable Celebrity to correctly claim that they had the best program for their most loyal passengers. The Executive from Celebrity responded that "I was one of the few who really understood their strategy". I was left with the impression that once the loyalty program was released that was the end of discussion and they would not consider additional levels and benefits. Possible that changing markets and new staff will bring some changes, but so far my initial impressions have proven to be correct. 

Add to that last week one of the Zenith members asked for a double Zenith level....As someone who will never get close to Zenith I had to wonder if it was a joke or not, I tend to think he was serious.  

20 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Add to that last week one of the Zenith members asked for a double Zenith level....As someone who will never get close to Zenith I had to wonder if it was a joke or not, I tend to think he was serious.  

That comment might have been partially tongue in cheek, partially serious. The poster has well over 6000 points and when they made the 6000 level there was no recognition. There was recognition in the past. That part is serious. The tongue in cheek comment might be the reference to discontinuing  the specialty dinner for the "Top Cruiser". The poster is a frequent poster on Cruise Critic and is more than capable of speaking for himself. 

28 minutes ago, Orator said:

That comment might have been partially tongue in cheek, partially serious. The poster has well over 6000 points and when they made the 6000 level there was no recognition. There was recognition in the past. That part is serious. The tongue in cheek comment might be the reference to discontinuing  the specialty dinner for the "Top Cruiser". The poster is a frequent poster on Cruise Critic and is more than capable of speaking for himself. 

You said it better than I could but that is how I took it, partially tongue in cheek and partially serious.  

Back in the day when being Elite seemed like a reasonable goal, I received bonus points that were offered. Now being half way and possibility never making Zenith, it isn't so much motivating, but annoying.  I made final payment on a TA booked months ago this morning. Just give them to everyone on the cruise. It's a nice surprise for loyal people and I don't like encouraging people to cancel and rebook. It's just busy work, guests could be planning an awesome cruise, rather than having to figure out the strategy of ever increasing cruise investments.

19 hours ago, jelayne said:

And the price may have gone up.  Our Edge TA has increased $800+

When I originally booked a Sky Suite it was 16,000. I have patiently watched it go down to 10,999. and I just moved to a W to do better. I think the prices are like waves. They go up and down so much more than they used to. It's maddening. I am about to just go to waiting for exciting deals.

Giving extra points to everyone who has already booked the cruise rather defeats the purpose of adding them as an incentive to help fill unsold cabins doesn’t it?

On 7/31/2019 at 2:38 PM, Orator said:

I'm on SIL October 24th and the ship has many unsold cabins. They've used "bonus" points in the past the fill ships. Thank goodness I no longer need to consider points!

I'm waiting for the new program when only new points count.. and old points join Davy Jones' locker.

What have you done for them lately?😉

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Arno. said:

I'm waiting for the new program when only new points count.. and old points join Davy Jones' locker.

What have you done for them lately?😉

What some don't appear to understand is that decisions are based on the bottomline. If a change benefits the bottom line it is made. If it reduced the bottom line it is not made. I don't want to state in a public forum what I heard some Celebrity people say about loyalty status, but suspect you've heard the same comments.

Edited by Orator

19 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I pretty much agree with Orator's statement above.  Adding another level would be very expensive as they would have to add a perk commensurate with the level.  Something like a Classic Bev Package or 1 Device Unlimited Wifi or something like that.  Generally like last time these programs are extended to accommodate people reaching the top goal.  Inserting a level once a significant population has passed that goal can be seen as not fair to them, the most loyal customers.

I think it would make more sense would be to add a milestone benefit after reaching Elite +.  Something like once every 500 points (1250, 1750, 2250, 2750 and beyond Zenith) you get a free specialty or unlimited Wifi or something like that which really doesn't cost them much.  It's not a benefit that each person gets in perpetuity so there would be few if any who would be receiving this on each sailing

I think this is a workable  approach if the bookkeeping could handle it.. Would not kill the bottom line to give away a few comped Specialty dinner vouchers every few hundred points or so..gives an incentive to  continue booking with X

23 hours ago, Orator said:

Orator- how do you get access to the top people in the Miami office?  There are a lot of things people would like to discuss with them and LLP has not responded yet.  Is it odd that an Executive from Celebrity would admit such a thing?  I am not questioning your report here but I do find it a bit odd personally.

23 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Orator- how do you get access to the top people in the Miami office?  There are a lot of things people would like to discuss with them and LLP has not responded yet.  Is it odd that an Executive from Celebrity would admit such a thing?  I am not questioning your report here but I do find it a bit odd personally.

In the course of my cruising with Celebrity I have met quite a few people who have, or are working in the Miami office. I most certainly am not alone in meeting people. You might remember when I expressed some dissatisfaction with the way the Loyalty program was implemented and at that time I reported several conversations with people in the Miami office. That is when the comment about "understanding the strategy" was made. I've met the CEO, but have never asked a question or sought a response.

I am Elite with no chance of reaching elite plus so I wont bother

On 8/1/2019 at 7:50 AM, TeeRick said:

Am I the only one who never gets these Captain's Club emails or offers?  I am signed up to receive emails but never get them.  For that matter I get almost daily marketing emails from RCCL but never from Celebrity.  That's OK but I would like to see special offers like this one and also get the Captain's Club pre-sale email when the new itineraries are announced.

Nope, you're NOT alone.  Not only do I NOT get them, I get emails sent to me with other folks' CC info, and names....

How a website can be so dysfunctional is an ongoing mystery....

In spite of their screw ups, I'll get to Zenith next year.  They never helped me; and I let them know that each and every time I communicate with them....

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Orator said:

In the course of my cruising with Celebrity I have met quite a few people who have, or are working in the Miami office. I most certainly am not alone in meeting people. You might remember when I expressed some dissatisfaction with the way the Loyalty program was implemented and at that time I reported several conversations with people in the Miami office. That is when the comment about "understanding the strategy" was made. I've met the CEO, but have never asked a question or sought a response.

Thank you.  Maybe LLP will respond here on some of the Loyalty type questions.  I would rather have her address this than questions about footstools and such, if I had to choose.

Edited by TeeRick

Posted (edited)
On 7/31/2019 at 11:16 PM, Shadow9612 said:

But you'd be 20 points closer to a new level between elite+ and Zenith if it ever materializes. 😉

Yes the 20+ ponits will get me closer to double Zenith.

It will be next year instead the year after.

Edited by verizon

Posted (edited)

I have noticed that ever since Celebrity has raised prices and added the NRD option for a lower rate that I get up to six promotional emails a day. I also received this offer. I have no interest in loyalty points but if I was able to drop everything and jump on a last minute cruise I would have taken them up on some of their other offers.

Edited by Iamcruzin

On 8/1/2019 at 8:50 AM, TeeRick said:

Am I the only one who never gets these Captain's Club emails or offers?  I am signed up to receive emails but never get them.  For that matter I get almost daily marketing emails from RCCL but never from Celebrity.  That's OK but I would like to see special offers like this one and also get the Captain's Club pre-sale email when the new itineraries are announced.

I get the opposite. No Royal Caribbean emails but Celebrity doesn’t stop. I think it’s an age thing. I’m 58 with adult children who vacation on their own.

I wasn't getting these offers either.  I wanted to investigate the "Move up" program for my next cruise, and they (the website) informed me that I needed to opt in to marketing e-mails.  I thought I'd done that already, but ticked the box, and continued checking out the site.  Since then (last week) I now get these offers.  May not work for you, but I'd give it a try.

Andrew

On 8/1/2019 at 11:42 AM, Alakegirl said:

Giving extra points to everyone who has already booked the cruise rather defeats the purpose of adding them as an incentive to help fill unsold cabins doesn’t it?

Does it? Or does it just cause a lot of people to cancel and rebook? Plus it is irritating and why do that when the purpose should be long term customer satisfaction. Luxury cruises are growing not decreasing. I now price several lines before a cruise. I didn't  before.

When your promotions bother already booked guests the benefit is a two edged sword. I made final payment as this was released, and to add insult to injury the price with the same benefits dropped. I am going to return to last minute bookings.

All in all I am not that bothered, as I live in the mythical Zen, halfway there, not much chance of arriving.

You are not the only one, I'll tell you my story.  I just started received CC emails a couple of years ago even though I have been a member for 27 years.  I have always received CC emails addressed to my son who first became a Captains Club member at age 7 (under 18 was allowed then).   My son is now 34.   I still get his but finally was able to get them delivered to me also.  

On 8/3/2019 at 10:34 AM, Blazerboy said:

I wasn't getting these offers either.  I wanted to investigate the "Move up" program for my next cruise, and they (the website) informed me that I needed to opt in to marketing e-mails.  I thought I'd done that already, but ticked the box, and continued checking out the site.  Since then (last week) I now get these offers.  May not work for you, but I'd give it a try.

Andrew

Hi Andrew- I have gone to the site, signed in and then checked the opt-in box.  I have done this multiple times over a few year period.  Including about a week ago again. Still nothing.

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Hi Andrew- I have gone to the site, signed in and then checked the opt-in box.  I have done this multiple times over a few year period.  Including about a week ago again. Still nothing.

D

Sorry that didn't work for you- it was my only idea.  I will add that I've been the primary cruiser more than my partner, and yet offers from Cunard, Princess and Crystal all come addressed to him.  With Cunard and Princess, at least he's sailed with them!  Crystal is a mystery, though...

On 7/31/2019 at 11:22 AM, wrk2cruise said:

I'm not sure why but these extra point offers really bother me.  That's equivalent to 5 days in a CC or AQ room.   Something which I would have spent $100's ( or $1000's on Edge ) of dollars pp to obtain.

I'm not sure why it would bother you. It's just being done to motivate folks to take the long cruises without port stops. Would you be just as bothered if they offered $500 On Board Credit, instead?

Not being critical. Just curious.