Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Planning a first-ever cruise on Panorama in January 2020!  My adult daughter will be along, and she is vegetarian.  Will she be able to find good variety of healthy foods for a 7 day cruise?  (Beyond the usual salad, grilled cheese and cheese pizza...).  Does Guys have a veggie burger?  Places that she's more likely to find a good meal?  Will the Main Dining Room have a vegetarian option always available?  Thanks!  Even research is exciting....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do a search of this board.  I did and found the following excerpts:
 

The Indian Vegetarian on the Everyday Menu is always great, and you get a lot of food with it.

 

Portobello mushroom entrée stuffed with butternut squash served on the 4th night and the sauce with them is excellent.

 

veggie burger at Guys. 

 

vegetable lasagna. 

 

spanakopitas (I cant recall the exact name of the dish, but I believe it has spinach & feta inside)

Link to post
Share on other sites

The veggie burger at Guys is not listed on the menu, you have to request it. They will make it fresh. My DD was sooo happy with the veggie burger from there. She said it was delicious.

 

Lots of options for vegetarians. DD didn't go hungry and she is not a big fan of cheese. I can't remember what else she ate, but she found enough to make her happy. Don't worry your daughter will find plenty of options.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You cannot get a veggie burger at Guy's.   You have to go the deli.  The deli has all the fixings and fries; however, I like the fries at Guy's so I just get a veggie patty and take it over to Guy's.  (was this way recently on the Legend, Horizon, Inspiration and Vista).  Guy's used to have the veggie burgers (until late 2018).  It usually takes a while (~10 min) to get the veggie burgers at the deli.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend we have cruised with is a vegetarian, and she always found tasty entrees in the MDR as well as several choices in the Lido buffet. She was disappointed though at not being able to get a veggie burger at Guy's. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, frogerina said:

Planning a first-ever cruise on Panorama in January 2020!  My adult daughter will be along, and she is vegetarian.  Will she be able to find good variety of healthy foods for a 7 day cruise?  (Beyond the usual salad, grilled cheese and cheese pizza...).  Does Guys have a veggie burger?  Places that she's more likely to find a good meal?  Will the Main Dining Room have a vegetarian option always available?  Thanks!  Even research is exciting....

 

What is healthy about grilled cheese, cheese pizza, and veggie burgers?

 

Anyways, not sure if Indian food is her thing, but the Indian vegetarian dish is one of my favorites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a vegetarian - I'm old, so it's been over 40 years :)  I always find plenty to eat on cruises.  I like the Mexican walk up place (can't remember the name) for breakfast and lunch.  I get bean burritos, bean tacos, salads, etc.  As others have suggested, you can ask for a veggie burger at the deli and take it to Guy's for all the fixing or sometimes, I take it to the Mexican place and put it on a salad.  If you're interested in the specialty restaurants, what I do it tell them on the day of my reservation to note that I'm a vegetarian, and I'm always offered a great selection.  I've had my best vegetarian meals on Carnival in the steakhouse.  I think Carnival is the most accommodating cruise line we've been on as long as you're pleasant and give them notice.  I also love the Indian food in MDR and on the buffet.  There's always a vegetarian option in the MDR as well as the Indian dinner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Do a search of this board.  I did and found the following excerpts:
 

The Indian Vegetarian on the Everyday Menu is always great, and you get a lot of food with it.

 

Portobello mushroom entrée stuffed with butternut squash served on the 4th night and the sauce with them is excellent.

 

veggie burger at Guys. 

 

vegetable lasagna. 

 

spanakopitas (I cant recall the exact name of the dish, but I believe it has spinach & feta inside)

Yes, spanikopita is a vegetarian Greek dish that is a spinach and cheese mix baked inside phyllo dough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fabby50 said:

I'm a vegetarian - I'm old, so it's been over 40 years 🙂 I always find plenty to eat on cruises.  I like the Mexican walk up place (can't remember the name) for breakfast and lunch.  I get bean burritos, bean tacos, salads, etc.  As others have suggested, you can ask for a veggie burger at the deli and take it to Guy's for all the fixing or sometimes, I take it to the Mexican place and put it on a salad.  If you're interested in the specialty restaurants, what I do it tell them on the day of my reservation to note that I'm a vegetarian, and I'm always offered a great selection.  I've had my best vegetarian meals on Carnival in the steakhouse.  I think Carnival is the most accommodating cruise line we've been on as long as you're pleasant and give them notice.  I also love the Indian food in MDR and on the buffet.  There's always a vegetarian option in the MDR as well as the Indian dinner.

It's the BlueIguana Cantina. The salsa bar is very good for spicing up anything to give it a lot of flavor. Also, in the morning the arepas are wonderful and they are vegetarian. 

 

https://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/explore/dining/menus/blue-iguana-cantina-lunch-menu.pdf

Link to post
Share on other sites

The MDR has a Vegetarian option, plus the Indian Vegetarian meal every night.  The Indian meal is listed as the same thing on the menu, I think, but the food varies slightly each day- so it's not all the same thing.

 

Be careful with the soups- some soups that sound fine, may have meat in the broth, so just double check.

 

Blue Iguana has arepa's for breakfast, or she can get a breakfast burrito there.  

 

The veggie burger is at the deli, and I thought the tomato/mozzarella/pesto sandwich there was pretty good- I took the bread off and sort of made a  salad out of it- I just asked for extra mozzarella.

 

Both the pasta thing and the wok at lunch can be customized- she can pick what she wants. 

 

She'll have choices- they won't all be healthy, but really, that's the same as everyone else. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be no problem finding lots of great vegetarian food at almost every venue.  Me and my cruise buddy look forward to all the great options, especially the Indian ones.    We find the daily vegetarian listing first rate, and there also are other vegetarian offerings (like pastas)  that aren't designated that way, not to mention the fish if she allows fish.  The deli, in addition to grilled cheese (which I eat like some eat a Guy's Burger) offers the veggie burger and a falafel sandwich.  You pick what you want at the Blue Iguana.   And nothing stops you from bouncing between the Guy's fixings and the Blue Iguana.  My favorite breakfast is the port day menu with the avocado toast, and a yogurt parfait with granola and berries.  I only make a salad when I'm hungry for a salad my way because the prepared options are always a nice change-up for me.  There are also a lot of cooked food options on the buffet, not to mention the sauces and salsas that are available at the different stations to get creative.   

Edited by naxer
clarity
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also vegetarian (and allergic to wheat) and there's always plenty for me to eat. As others have said, there is a vegetarian main meal plus a vegetarian Indian meal every night in the MDR. I love the Indian food options the most. Lots to choose from at the buffet as well. She will be well fed! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to all who have replied (and @Joebucks - I didn't edit myself too well...I was hoping to find for her things other than the not-healthy standard "sure - we have one vegetarian option" I see at many restaurants...which is the pizza/veggie burger route...)  I'm thrilled to learn there's a vegetarian option in the MDR every night, and she (and I) love Indian food, and a variety of healthy and fun foods (hey, it's a cruise!) will be fun to try!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am vegetarian and find lots of stuff to eat. Not all of it is super healthy but there are ways to eat more "clean".

 

Breakfast:

MDR has fruit plate, yogurt parfait, oatmeal, eggs/egg whites for omelets, avocado toast, and cereals

Buffet has eggs/egg whites for omelets, muffins, pastries, cereals, fruit, yogurt

 

Lunch:

MDR is open on sea days and you get get breakfast as listed above or lunch items

Buffet has veggie burgers, pasta made to order with toppings, stir fry made to order, salad bar with all the usual items plus several vegetarian pre-made salads, sandwiches and wraps at the delis such as tomato and mozzarella panini and a Mediterranean hummus wrap

 

Dinner

Indian vegetarian is available every night, kale salad can be ordered with dressing on side or without dressing, usually another vegetarian option, plus all the sides can be ordered such as baked potato and steamed veggies, fruit plate can be ordered as appetizer or dessert

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a vegetarian but I try to limit the amount of meat I eat.  It was easy to not eat meat on my last cruise because there were so many good vegetarian options in the MDR and buffet.  (I do eat a lot of fish.) I thought the Indian food in the MDR was fantastic and I had that several nights.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They moved the burger to the deli because they changed it to a patty made on the ship and made it vegan. It is easier to control than at Guy's. 

 

I've cruised about 5 times on carnival as a vegetarian, she has nothing to worry about. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My son is vegan and his girlfriend is vegetarian and they ate like royalty! They brought him a menu out each night so they could prepare his food correctly the next evening. Carnival did a great job!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2019 at 7:13 PM, frogerina said:

Planning a first-ever cruise on Panorama in January 2020!  My adult daughter will be along, and she is vegetarian.  Will she be able to find good variety of healthy foods for a 7 day cruise?  (Beyond the usual salad, grilled cheese and cheese pizza...).  Does Guys have a veggie burger?  Places that she's more likely to find a good meal?  Will the Main Dining Room have a vegetarian option always available?  Thanks!  Even research is exciting....

I am a carnivore and the Indian vegetarian is always one of the best things on the menu.  She can go to the deli and get a veggie burger, I think.  They have vegetarian sandwiches at the deli.  She can go to the Mongolian wok and get veggies.  The Cucina del Capitano has a pasta bar for lunch.  Always vegetarian options on the buffet.  

Edited by skridge
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic's State of the Industry Report - Trends & Future Outlook
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...