Cruise Critic Community
SandJCruiser

Question re: Asking cabin number in Waterside on Symphony

A question I've been meaning to ask since our Symphony cruise last year.  Whenever we entered Waterside, we were asked for our cabin number.  At first, I thought this might be a way to look up, and use, our names during service, but neither Remi nor our wait staff ever addressed us by name.  I know that, once out of your cabin, service is equal toward all, so that shouldn't account for it.  Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but could one of the veterans clear this up for me?  Just curious, really.

I think, on a recent cruise, they used to so they could quickly put you back at the table/waiter you had an enjoyed.  We only had to give our cabin number and we assigned back were we wanted immediately.

I'm sure they also use it to keep statistics on how many times people ate there vs. other locations. 

I think they are also trying to determine who's eating where each night. This does help on the staffing for the various restaurants.

Patty

Other lines, like Celebrity, routinely do this. They want to see where and when you dine. 

I asked Slavko point blank. The answer is so they can quickly locate your leftover wine if you ordered a special bottle and if you have a special order or allergy. 

If you have a dietary issue such as celiac they tell you to be sure to do just this.   We found they gave us our favorite table from our WC15 most nights.   It was so comforting to be in our regular spot...like home.

8 hours ago, ctjon said:

I'm sure they also use it to keep statistics on how many times people ate there vs. other locations. 

I’m sure they do too but it’s not done by collecting the room number on entry as when we arrived as a large group of 9 they simply wanted one room number from the group (maybe they’d worked out who was in our group so backfilled in that detail themselves?)

The ordering is all done electronically now so they can collect the numbers dining and the consumption via those records 

15 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

Terry, see my post above😎

Yes on the Special Orders - I can’t comment on “left over” wine - what is that? 🙂 Is that a variety of grape? - I’ve never had that 🙂 

Hahaha we often order wine off the connoisseur list but don’t drink it all in one sitting ergo leftover 😎

I asked this same question on my last cruise and received several different answers including the ones above.  One guest said said,  "if you are in a more expensive cabin cabin you get a better table!"  I still don't know, but a friend of mine refused to give her cabin number (even tho' she's an Aussie, she could be a southern rebel) and she was seated anyway.  Julia

We did not get preferential tables due to our PH or high cruise level. I believe what Slavko told me. I don't think there is a nefarious reason.