Cruise Critic Community
aring75

Reef Safe Sunscreen

I am looking for recommendations for reef-safe sunscreen before my upcoming cruise. I try to use as little as possible anyway (wear a long-sleeved sun shirt and only apply to face, ears, back of neck, etc.), but still looking for better suggestions than what I have.

Most recently, I have been using ThinkSport (SPF 50+), but it seems to leave quite a bit of white after application.

CMcBAYlOTUWtBCSnNogR%25Q-M.jpg

I also have Burt's Bees Natural (SPF 30) but I'm almost out and would have to get more. This has Titanium Dioxide instead of Zinc Oxide as the active ingredient and I think leaves a little less of that white "film," but I can't really remember. It's also been a while since I've used it, so it would need to be replaced either way.

E4MczpxpQWS+mQBDfzZjOg-M.jpg

I also have a small size of Cleure Natural (SPF 30) which uses Zinc Oxide AND Titanium Dioxide for its active ingredients and seems to go on mostly clear, but turns white after a while.

WtHXQw6fSPea799TZgyEwQ-M.jpg

With all natural sunscreens I seem to get that white haze, and my husband has it worse (especially if he has the least bit of beard stubble on his face). It's a minor concern, but I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for reef-safe sunscreens that go on mostly clear - and stay that way. Google was very little help since most reviews would tell me which sunscreens were "safe," but not which ones would absorb clear and stay clear on the skin. Is that even possible with natural sunscreen?

I would welcome any recommendations!

Is anyone inspecting my sunscreen to make sure it's safe?  Or is it the honor system.  I'm looking for this now lots of reviews on Amazon.  Hard to find the good stuff.

I did a LOT of research about this to make sure that I got one that was truly reef safe.  When I went on my snorkeling excursion, the guy in charge told us (right before we got on the pier) that he didn't care what KIND of sunscreen we used and if we didn't apply it already we should then because we weren't allowed to put any on while on the excursion.  I asked if I could use the reef safe sunscreen still.  He said no--no sunscreen.  No reapplications allowed during the excursion-and it was quite a sunny day.  Just FYI for you.  Not sure if you will have a similar experience-just sharing mine.

@LukeyC was it a spray or lotion?  I know some boat operators won't allow any spray on the boat because it makes things too slippery, but no sunscreen at all for snorkeling would bother me.  I do wear a rash guard, but that still is putting many at risk for burns.

10 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

@LukeyC was it a spray or lotion?  I know some boat operators won't allow any spray on the boat because it makes things too slippery, but no sunscreen at all for snorkeling would bother me.  I do wear a rash guard, but that still is putting many at risk for burns.

It was lotion that I was asking to reapply.  Their policy was across the board that nobody could put sunscreen on past the dock.  I had heard of companies insisting upon reef-safe sunscreen only, but I'd never expected that they would say they didn't care what kind.  It's a good thing I had a UPF zip up jacket and UPF swim pants (capris) on.  I had some exposed skin, but luckily, even though it was quite sunny, I did not burn.