Cruise Critic Community
RRLLAL

Carnival to spend $80m

On Half Moon Cay. Building a dock to eliminate tenders to shore. Also unknown (right now) updates and additions to the island itself. Timing not announced yet. 

With this and their scheduled "mega" port build in Freeport, it sounds like there's going to be a couple port of calls that will see a nice refresh.

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

With this and their scheduled "mega" port build in Freeport, it sounds like there's going to be a couple port of calls that will see a nice refresh.

Freeport could use a little something 

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Freeport could use a little something 

Sounds like it's going to get a big something. I'm sure some people will gripe about there being another "cookie cutter" port, blah blah blah, but I'm curious to see what they're going to make of the proclaimed largest Carnival port in the world.

But I digress. I know a lot of people love HMC, but I'm not a big beach person, so it's not really my cup of tea. It'll be interesting to see what they're going to add, if anything, besides the pier.

Personally, I like the idea of these larger port complexes like Amber Cover or the one they're going to build in Freeport. People can still go on excursions or do whatever to get away from the port, but these ports also give people a nice place to hang out off the ship if they don't want to go farther out.

Grand Cayman is also supposed to get a pier. Any port that eliminates the need for tendering (or water shuttles per Carnival these days) is a good thing in my book. 

$80M will barely cover a pier and some infrastructure upgrades.

This amount of money will not turn HMC into a Coco Cay like Royal did.

6 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

How do you know? Did you watch the video? It mentioned royals cost. 

7 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

I don't know where she got her figures, but the girl in the video posted above said the original estimate for RCI's pier at Coco Cay was $47 million. It did end up being a lot more, but that's because of how much they actually did to the island.

11 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

How do you know? Did you watch the video? It mentioned royals cost. 

Royal spent over $250M to upgrade Coco Cay

10 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

And hopefully carnival keeps the beautiful half Moon Cay pretty much the same and just add the pier and not an amusement park. The place is paradise with a gorgeous beach. 

This is good.  No more water shuttering, not going because of rough seas/high winds.  This is especially good for passengers with mobility issues - they too can enjoy HMC.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

It’s to my understanding that they did a lot more to Coco Cay, hence the huge cost. $80 million should get Carnival a lot more than just the pier. 

According to the article posted in this thread, Castaway Cay is so successful, Disney’s developing a second one. Looks like these private islands are big business for cruise lines and I’m sure other lines see the success of Disney’s and want a piece of that action.

Edited by Organized Chaos

8 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I wouldn't want Carnival to turn HMC into another Coco Cay. I would be happy with just the pier. 😎

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

I hope they do not ruin a place we love. 

They already built the pirate bar.....ugh!

Doesn't Holland use this port more than Carnival nowadays?  Will a pier change the visiting schedule?

Edited by evandbob

9 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Grand Cayman is also supposed to get a pier. Any port that eliminates the need for tendering (or water shuttles per Carnival these days) is a good thing in my book. 

I thought I read they are going to charge $8 per passenger to tender to the island to help with the cost if the pier.  The pier will be a joint effort with RCI.

Any idea when the construction will begin?  We scheduled a cruise in Feb 2020 to go back to HMC specifically.

1 hour ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I thought I read they are going to charge $8 per passenger to tender to the island to help with the cost if the pier.  The pier will be a joint effort with RCI.

Really? Cite your sources, please. 

The greatest part about this is - they will build a pier and change the lawn chairs and call it major make over. If I were them I would take away some common areas like they do on the ships.  Maybe they will even change the name so we all think it’s something more than it is. 

We have stopped there and if you

like a beach it’s okay - I personally don’t care for it as a stop. 

I am waiting for the details as this is as exciting as it gets! 

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

They already built the pirate bar.....ugh!

Doesn't Holland use this port more than Carnival nowadays?  Will a pier change the visiting schedule?

The name on the island is Holland American but of course Holland American is part of the happy Carnival family. More Carnival ship visit than Holland American since Holland does not sail  there summer months to often while Carnival sails year around. 

17 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

Really? Cite your sources, please. 

The Cayman Compass is reporting that Carnival Cruise Line and Royal Caribbean will help fund the project.  Both cruise lines are a part of Verdant Isle Port Partners, the preferred bidder for the project.

The project is expected to cost up to $200 million to build and will take two and a half years to complete. Each passenger that visits Grand Cayman will be levied with a $8 per head fee.

Cruisefever.net

10 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Thank heavens!!  Making a Caribbean island an amusement park is pretty close to the worst thing I have seen in this industry.....ever.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jamman54 said:

I wouldn't want Carnival to turn HMC into another Coco Cay. I would be happy with just the pier. 😎

While I agree (esp on the cococay part), one of the fears I have is that they could do 2 ships a day and add the really large ships.  That beautiful beach would be overrun.....

Edited by jimbo5544