NEW BRUNCH MENU

Cruisegirl6

15 minutes ago, CruisingViper said:

the $5 fresh squeezed juices are excluded

Same with Cheers as well I think. You can order pricey drinks, but not juice! Each line has their own peculiarities. On NCL, for example, their ULTIMATE Beverage Package excludes bottled water - and nope, they don't offer the great deal that Carnival does for 12 packs!

Tom

On 8/1/2019 at 6:59 PM, rn4t5 said:

New Seaday Brunch Menu
The menu is currently on these ships with more coming soon.  (as of 7/3)
Carnival Horizon
Carnival Vista
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Sunrise
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Victory
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Splendor
Carnival Liberty

brunch sunrise.jpg

This is correct, the one OP posted is the old one. They also had this menu on the Breeze in May

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Same with Cheers as well I think. You can order pricey drinks, but not juice! Each line has their own peculiarities. On NCL, for example, their ULTIMATE Beverage Package excludes bottled water - and nope, they don't offer the great deal that Carnival does for 12 packs!

Tom

Cheers includes bottled water as well

Just got off the Vista Saturday.  We found the brunch service to be slower than it was on the Breeze in 2018, even when we beat the rush.  On the Vista, there was a server with coffee just outside the MDR entrance, so you could get your first cup (or second, depending) while in line.  Last year under the old menu, we got a plate of danishes/muffins right away when seated - not this year on the Vista.   Perhaps if we had asked for some we'd have gotten them before the other dishes.

The 12-hr French toast was surprisingly good compared to what I was expecting based on CC posts.  I only had one piece that was a bit soggy in the middle (had it 3x).  Sausage was a bit better than last year, not quite as bland.  I saw other people with the skillet cakes and they didn't look that appetizing to me.

The fresh-squeezed juices are served in small champagne flutes that held maybe 3 oz or so.  I didn't see many takers.

In general I preferred the old brunch menu choices, but the 12-hr French toast beat the Lido lines.

On 8/3/2019 at 1:10 PM, Shaded Lady said:

We had the new menu on the Vista last month... note that the French toast is more like a serving of bread pudding- it's a 4 inch by 4 inch block of French bread... not bad, just different.

As for the OJ, I was puzzled about this as I'm not about to pay $5 for 'fresh squeezed juices'. My server, her helper and the bar staff all told me that you can still get the plain OJ at no cost if you ask for it. It's just not on the menu.

I think they're marketing the pressed juices similar to what you'd find at a cold press juice bar.  Like the  #1 is carrot, ginger, lime, cayenne.  #5 is apple, kale, spinach, parsley (a green juice).   $5 is still high, but it isn't just OJ.  

• Like 2

They've chosen to not place a basket of pastries on the tables anymore when seated. They also discontinued the popover baskets from what I have read in other threads about the brunch here on Cruise Critic. We really missed the popovers in February, they were a winner and reminded us of afternoon tea served at Jordan Pond in Bar Harbor. 

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sanmarcosman said:

They've chosen to not place a basket of pastries on the tables anymore when seated.

This had to be a huge waste for Carnival. They can't reuse them, they are probably throwing away more than people were eating. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, coevan said:

This had to be a huge waste for Carnival. They can't reuse them, they are probably throwing away more than people were eating. 

That's probably why.  Especially with the low-carb fad nowadays.  Also don't forget: in many cultures, wasting bread is considered more offensive than wasting other foods, even if those foods cost more (like meat).  So by eliminating waste of bread, Carnival created a friendlier work environment for the crew.  Given the working conditions on most cruise ships, every little bit helps.  Plus, there's nothing wrong with asking for a small basket of popovers or pastries to be brought out.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

That's probably why.  Especially with the low-carb fad nowadays.  Also don't forget: in many cultures, wasting bread is considered more offensive than wasting other foods, even if those foods cost more (like meat).  So by eliminating waste of bread, Carnival created a friendlier work environment for the crew.  Given the working conditions on most cruise ships, every little bit helps.  Plus, there's nothing wrong with asking for a small basket of popovers or pastries to be brought out.

The popovers are history.

The pastries, to me at least, were typically dry and unappealing. Sort of like most of the desserts at the buffet - all show, and no go! They save the better ones for the coffee/dessert place, where they'll generate a some income for them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

The popovers are history.

We sailed on the Fascination in July.  When we sat down at brunch, I asked if they still had popovers.  The waiter came back with a basket of four for my husband and I.  So I recommend asking...they may be gone on some ships...but definitely not all!  (PS they were wonderful, as always!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Domergirl said:

We sailed on the Fascination in July.  When we sat down at brunch, I asked if they still had popovers.  The waiter came back with a basket of four for my husband and I.  So I recommend asking...they may be gone on some ships...but definitely not all!  (PS they were wonderful, as always!)

Thanks for this, we were resigned to never tasting them again. We'll give it a try, nothing ventured as the saying goes. 😋

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Thanks for this, we were resigned to never tasting them again. We'll give it a try, nothing ventured as the saying goes. 😋

I had to look up "popovers" - having never heard that term (only Pop-Tarts came to mind initially)!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 12:55 AM, DallasGuy75219 said:

Some reviews have indicated the skillet cakes and 12 hour French toast are not quite the tried and true breakfast staples people may be used to...

image.gif.8410a6974632ea1f593586bb84f83bdb.gif"Think of it as a triple thick pancake with a sweet sauce and some sort of crumble on top, along with what appear to be house-made marshmallow squares and ricotta cheese. They serve it with syrup, but it is not needed as it is plenty sweet already. Mine was maybe just a tiny bit doughy inside?... The skillet cake was decent for what it was, but I'm not in a hurry to order it again."

"French toast. It was a loaf. The peaches were candied on top." 

The descriptions I've read have described the 12 hour French toast as more of a bread pudding than what most would traditionally call French toast.

So I ordered the French toast on the Valor last week, and this is the brick of bread I got.  20190818_121051.thumb.jpg.5090d3027395bbd97e108b00411211aa.jpg20190818_121156.thumb.jpg.341dfadeb4de58eecda0735cd352cf66.jpg

Very dry on the inside and definitely not the consistency of bread pudding.  It was served with syrup on the side, which helped with the dryness, but I don't like my food drowned in syrup to make it edible.  

Overall, very mediocre in my opinion.  After about three bites, I had enough and decided it wasn't nearly good enough to justify all those calories and carbs.

• Thanks 1