Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Vineyard View

One World Observatory and One Dine

Recommended Posts

We arrive early to explore some of NYC prior to boarding. Not including the day we board, We have a full day after boarding as well.  We initially looked at trying to make SOL and Ellis Island work that day in addition to 911. It seems like if we need to be on board by 4:30 that is plan is just too aggressive.  Since we will sail past SOL someone suggested that we explore One World Observatory and dine at One Dine for lunch. I looked online and am honestly not sure about this suggestion. I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which cruise are you discussing? Are you thinking of checking into the cruise and then walking off?

 

What is the location of your hotel and when are you arriving?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We arrive on Sunday 10/6 in the evening. Staying at The Michelangelo two nights. On Monday we will explore Manhattan, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, etc. On Tuesday we will board our ship (Viking) and get settled in. We do not sail until Wednesday evening out of the Manhattan terminal, which is the day we plan on visiting 911. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

someone suggested that we explore One World Observatory and dine at One Dine for lunch.

They are both sort of tourist traps-- in a city full of some of the best restaurants in the world One Dine is not one of them. Even the old Windows on the World in the old World Trade Center was a bit overpriced and bland. This one continues that tradition. You are paying purely for the views and to say you've been there. 

 

Frankly if you want to go to an observation tower, skip this one as well as the Empire State Building and go to Top of the Rock. Better views of Central Park (as well as ESB) and generally shorter lines. And go have lunch or dinner at one of NYC's great restaurants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much. I appreciate this feedback and have scratched it from the list. So if your ship was in Manhattan and you were going to 911 in the morning, where might you suggest for lunch afterwards?  Any other places you might recommend we see or do in that area or space between the two? we will want to be back on board by 4:00. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can do Franunces tavern which is walking distance, Washington gave is farewell address there. Or the famous Delmonico , can eat at the bar there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

They are both sort of tourist traps-- in a city full of some of the best restaurants in the world One Dine is not one of them. Even the old Windows on the World in the old World Trade Center was a bit overpriced and bland. This one continues that tradition. You are paying purely for the views and to say you've been there. 

 

Frankly if you want to go to an observation tower, skip this one as well as the Empire State Building and go to Top of the Rock. Better views of Central Park (as well as ESB) and generally shorter lines. And go have lunch or dinner at one of NYC's great restaurants. 

We really enjoyed the observatory and the amazing views, waited no more than 15 minutes with timed tickets. I agree with eating somewhere else (didn’t eat there, but assumed overpriced meh food).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you very much. I appreciate this feedback and have scratched it from the list. So if your ship was in Manhattan and you were going to 911 in the morning, where might you suggest for lunch afterwards?  Any other places you might recommend we see or do in that area or space between the two? we will want to be back on board by 4:00. 

Across the road from 9/11 is an upscale mall with a food hall with all sorts of food. Plus a nice restroom. Plenty of seating indoors and out. From the 9/11 area you can walk to Wall Street and see the charging bull for some photo ops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

So if your ship was in Manhattan and you were going to 911 in the morning, where might you suggest for lunch afterwards?  Any other places you might recommend we see or do in that area or space between the two?

If I were in lower Manhattan in the morning I would most likely head back to midtown for lunch which will put you very close to the ship. If you were to stay downtown, there is an outpost of local watering hole PJ Clarke's along the waterfront. Its not the original one with the history (thats at 55th and 3rd) but this one has the same menu. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thank you for these additional ideas to look into. I sincerely appreciate your input. These old established eating places sound like they could be fun. Would advance reservations for lunch be advised? Is this all walkable? 

I might also take a second look at the Observatory, but if we are going to Rockefeller Center it sounds like we would be well served to go to the top. 

Edited by Vineyard View

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Delmonico and Franuces  tavern are walking distance, I think you will be ok without reservations for lunch. The bar menu is much more reasonable in Delmonico than the regular restaurant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you I am looking at both of these places, and they each look great. Not sure which one to pick 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2019 at 2:43 PM, Vineyard View said:

Thank you I am looking at both of these places, and they each look great. Not sure which one to pick 😂

Well if you eat at Frances Tavern you can brag you ate at same place as George Washington. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Well if you eat at Frances Tavern you can brag you ate at same place as George Washington. 😁

But way more presidents have eaten In Delmonico, both have great history, I sure Frances tavern is a little cheaper. Used to work

across street from frances tavern back in the 70’s  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh folks...so we don't confuse the out-of-towners looking for the restaurant where George Washington ate, it's Fraunces Tavern, not Frances Tavern, not Franuces Tavern . :classic_wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what I would prefer is the best atmosphere and food to be honest. A place to go enjoy for a bit  after honoring the 911 museum. They both do sound so very unique and special with incredible history. Thank you for clarifying the name njhorseman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

I think what I would prefer is the best atmosphere and food to be honest.

At the risk of sounding like a bitter long time former New Yorker, or worse, a curmudgeon, neither of them is particularly known for very good food. Fraunces Tavern for a long time was like a colonial theme park restaurant by day and a Wall Street intern drinks hangout after work. To be fair to them it does look like they updated the menu a bit to be more contemporary. 

 

Delmonico's on the other hand has decent, no actually good food, but it's a lunch time expense account place that trades on its previous incarnations that it technically doesn't not share a direct lineage with. The original soldiered on into the late 1980's before closing and it's been opened and closed several times since then under different owners. For the price you pay there are much better meals in New York that don't overwhelm with the faux Victorian kitsch. 

 

The Financial District has never really been a dining destination, although that is changing-- we've been introduced to some interesting places by friends when we visit. But the general rules still holds true-- head further uptown if you want to find a really great meal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

At the risk of sounding like a bitter long time former New Yorker, or worse, a curmudgeon, neither of them is particularly known for very good food. Fraunces Tavern for a long time was like a colonial theme park restaurant by day and a Wall Street intern drinks hangout after work. To be fair to them it does look like they updated the menu a bit to be more contemporary. 

 

Delmonico's on the other hand has decent, no actually good food, but it's a lunch time expense account place that trades on its previous incarnations that it technically doesn't not share a direct lineage with. The original soldiered on into the late 1980's before closing and it's been opened and closed several times since then under different owners. For the price you pay there are much better meals in New York that don't overwhelm with the faux Victorian kitsch. 

 

The Financial District has never really been a dining destination, although that is changing-- we've been introduced to some interesting places by friends when we visit. But the general rules still holds true-- head further uptown if you want to find a really great meal. 

Thank you for your input. So if you were docked at Manhattan terminal and planning a non-hectic day, where would you go for lunch after spending some time at 911?  I appreciate everyone’s ideas so thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally disagree on food at Delmonico, not sure when you last had a dinner there but we had a great dinner last year. There are a few other good restaurants in area also .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 10:07 AM, George C said:

not sure when you last had a dinner there but we had a great dinner last year.

I don't doubt you had a great meal-- I was more saying that you have to keep this in the context that New York is an international dining destination with some of the best restaurants in the world. This is essentially a pricey steakhouse-- New York is chock full of good, pricey steakhouses. Sparks, Keen's, and then a boatload of chains and semi chains. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I don't doubt you had a great meal-- I was more saying that you have to keep this in the context that New York is an international dining destination with some of the best restaurants in the world. This is essentially a pricey steakhouse-- New York is chock full of good, pricey steakhouses. Sparks, Keen's, and then a boatload of chains and semi chains. 

I understand that restaurant has moved several times and we rarely eat at steak restaurants in nyc, but it had a unique history . We both ordered filet mignon, menu did not have size of the steak , was really surprised when it came out it was approx 14 oz rather than typical 6 or 8 oz and cooked perfectly, I couldn’t finish mine but wife who is half my size finished hers. Price was very reasonable considering the meal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

When I suggested the food hall I thought you only wanted a quick bite to hold you over. If you want a lovely NYC lunch experience I suggest either Bouley at Home tasting lunch menu or Gramercy Tavern tasting lunch menu. Both are Michelin Star restaurants and you’ll have a very lovely special lunch. Wine pairing is also available. Both are located in very lovely NYC neighborhoods. Use Uber it will be relaxing. 

Edited by Got2Cruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Gramercy Tavern tasting lunch menu

I would also second Gramercy Tavern. In the fun and fancy category you could also toss in lunch at Le Bernardin which is exceptionally good. 

 

If you went one rung less fancy and got away from tasting menus The Grill is in the Seagram Building and is the old Grill Room of the Four Seasons Restaurant designed by Mies van der Rohe. The Modern is at MoMa and has the Bar Room which is a little more casual than the main restaurant-- both are great. I enjoy Harry Cipriani in the Sherry Netherland Hotel-- its a replica of Harrys Bar in Venice and the food is quite good (although expensive)-- get a Hemingway Martini. If you want to make eating a little more relaxed but want to get a real New York experience, the King Cole Bar at the St Regis Hotel is one of Manhattan's great watering holes and the food there is quite good. I'm partial to the sliced steak on brioche toast points but they have reasonably sized food menu. The atmosphere is pretty special with the giant Maxfield Parrish namesake mural. 

 

If you wanted to shed all pretensions its hard to beat a pastrami sandwich at Katz's Deli or a cheeseburger at PJ Clarke's (theres a PJ's downtown but the original at 55th St is far more atmospheric). Prince Street Pizza is non traditional NY pizza (its, gasp, square!) but their pepperoni exceptionally good. Los Tacos No 1 is one of the best options if one must be in Times Square (they also have an outpost in Chelsea Market). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really was not impressed by PJ Clarke at all , I know it is famous but thought burger which there famous for was just run of the mill. Was there a couple of years ago. There are several threads on best restaurants on this site. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Got2Cruise and Princeton!  These suggestions are really helpful. Having multiple options is great as we will also have time for lunch that Monday when we are Exploring NYC prior to boarding the ship on Tuesday!  I really appreciate all of these suggestions and will look online at them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...