Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
gaabbee

Never hurts to ask! Upgraded to DOS for free!

Recommended Posts

Booked a fwd facing balcony (SE) on the Dawn out of NY. Thought I got a pretty good deal with $200 obc and an extra latitude point per day. Saw the prices drop yesterday but still more then I paid and decided to call and ask. My travel agent called me back and said that NCL is going to upgrade you at no extra charge and you get to keep all the OBC and perks! 

 

I loose out on the huge balcony but I get to wake up to that amazing view. Tell me I made the right choice! Hope this helps anyone. Now do I tell my wife or surprise her? This is our 1 year wedding anniversary gift!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gaabbee said:

Booked a fwd facing balcony (SE) on the Dawn out of NY. Thought I got a pretty good deal with $200 obc and an extra latitude point per day. Saw the prices drop yesterday but still more then I paid and decided to call and ask. My travel agent called me back and said that NCL is going to upgrade you at no extra charge and you get to keep all the OBC and perks! 

 

I loose out on the huge balcony but I get to wake up to that amazing view. Tell me I made the right choice! Hope this helps anyone. Now do I tell my wife or surprise her? This is our 1 year wedding anniversary gift!

That is awesome!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were in one of of the DOS in February and did not miss the balcony at all. We were in 12500, one of the DOS with the second bedroom (and therefore the smaller living room). We thoroughly enjoyed the forward-facing view. 

 

Before you get on board, call the pre-cruise concierge and request your three bottles of alcohol and mixers. They were in our cabin waiting for us. You will enjoy the breakfast and lunch in Moderno!

 

This is definitely a good choice and you will have a great time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

On my next cruise i booked a mid ship inside cabin. Recently, a large picture window ocean view became cheaper than my inside cabin ( 19 days) so i called my travel agent and NCL told her the same thing as you. We got upgraded for free, kept the perks, and 2 points for booking 9 months ahead. We are now bidding for a spa balcony or spa mini suite balcony, if we get it, great, if not we will be happy just the same 🙂

Edited by spanishguy1970

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, brookie848 said:

We were in one of of the DOS in February and did not miss the balcony at all. We were in 12500, one of the DOS with the second bedroom (and therefore the smaller living room). We thoroughly enjoyed the forward-facing view. 

 

Before you get on board, call the pre-cruise concierge and request your three bottles of alcohol and mixers. They were in our cabin waiting for us. You will enjoy the breakfast and lunch in Moderno!

 

This is definitely a good choice and you will have a great time. 

Did you by chance take a photo of the options for the bottles of alcohol? This is a great idea to ask in advance - but I do know from the past that they have a list to chose from. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Atlanta07 said:

Did you by chance take a photo of the options for the bottles of alcohol? This is a great idea to ask in advance - but I do know from the past that they have a list to chose from. 

We never got a list in the mail. When I called the pre-cruise concierge, I got a really awesome person on the phone. I made our pillow requests and a few other things. I said I wasn't sure if I should request the alcohol now or on the ship. She told me to let her know what we wanted.

 

We requested two bottles of Tito's and one of Captain Morgan. She then listed everything we could potentially want to mix the vodka with so that we would have it all in the cabin. When we checked in at the pier, our butler came to tell us that the Captain was in the cabin, but the Tito's would arrive later once they were re-stocked.

 

I think if you want a particular bottle, call and ask before you cruise. I have no idea of those bottles are on the official list of not, but we received no push back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only drawback other than the lack of balcony is hope the darn air conditioning doesn't fawlter !

Yes misspelled - these 4 DOS on the DAWN (and sister ship STAR) do not have a window vent blind

slot valve open crevice to move air about the cabin just the air conditioning.

 

Other than that a great view forward - you are above the Bridge can leave the lights on unlike

cabins with the forward balconies - do keep the stomping party activities down to a low roar.

There is terrace sun deck space over your cabin with a hot tub but no bother to you.

 

The two cabins on the wings can see all the way to the stern of the ship just like the Bridge.

One will get exercise going half the ships length for breakfast and lunch at Moderno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all! I think I will try to search for a list of the included bottles. Good to know about the lights! Hoping for working ac as I remember how hot the spinnaker lounge was on the jewel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

53 minutes ago, brookie848 said:

We never got a list in the mail. When I called the pre-cruise concierge, I got a really awesome person on the phone. I made our pillow requests and a few other things. I said I wasn't sure if I should request the alcohol now or on the ship. She told me to let her know what we wanted.

 

We requested two bottles of Tito's and one of Captain Morgan. She then listed everything we could potentially want to mix the vodka with so that we would have it all in the cabin. When we checked in at the pier, our butler came to tell us that the Captain was in the cabin, but the Tito's would arrive later once they were re-stocked.

 

I think if you want a particular bottle, call and ask before you cruise. I have no idea of those bottles are on the official list of not, but we received no push back. 

 

Perfect, thank you!

 

5 minutes ago, gaabbee said:

Thank you all! I think I will try to search for a list of the included bottles. Good to know about the lights! Hoping for working ac as I remember how hot the spinnaker lounge was on the jewel.

 

I did find the list - there is wine on the list too, but I think for the perk, most are interested in the liquor...so here's the list:

 

Beefeater Gin

Grant's Blended Scotch Whiskey

Smirnoff Vodka

Jim Beam Bourbon

Seagram's 7 Crown

Bacardi Superior Rum

Cazadores Blanco Tequila

Dry White Vermouth

Sweet Red Vermouth

Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry

Sandeman Reserve Port

Jameson Irish Whiskey

Kahlua

 

🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Atlanta07 said:

I did find the list - there is wine on the list too, but I think for the perk, most are interested in the liquor...so here's the list:

 

Beefeater Gin

Grant's Blended Scotch Whiskey

Smirnoff Vodka

Jim Beam Bourbon

Seagram's 7 Crown

Bacardi Superior Rum

Cazadores Blanco Tequila

Dry White Vermouth

Sweet Red Vermouth

Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry

Sandeman Reserve Port

Jameson Irish Whiskey

Kahlua

 

🙂

 

 

And we were able to get three bottles that weren't on the list! I would just call and ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, brookie848 said:

 

And we were able to get three bottles that weren't on the list! I would just call and ask.

Right - absolutely will. 

 

I know when we had a similar room we requested a few that were not on the list and received them without issue. But requesting in advance is great advice. I like to get all the "paperwork" out of the way as soon as possible so we can enjoy the cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Atlanta07 said:

 

 

Perfect, thank you!

 

 

I did find the list - there is wine on the list too, but I think for the perk, most are interested in the liquor...so here's the list:

 

Beefeater Gin

Grant's Blended Scotch Whiskey

Smirnoff Vodka

Jim Beam Bourbon

Seagram's 7 Crown

Bacardi Superior Rum

Cazadores Blanco Tequila

Dry White Vermouth

Sweet Red Vermouth

Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry

Sandeman Reserve Port

Jameson Irish Whiskey

Kahlua

 

🙂

 

Those bottles if not stated otherwise are FULL LITERS !

Your Butler will handle the liquor requests and the contents of the mini-fridge.

Have something else in mind - a substitution - ask !

Basically if you look on the shelf of a bar and something else is on that same shelf - the substitution is good.

Obviously the Top Shelf is not a valid substitution  - think Premium Plus (+) stuff

For some reason Canadian Club is not found on NCL ships at least the ones I have been on and the

substitution is Crown Royal - Seagram's VO or as from the list above Seagram's 7 Crown.

JW Black - Dewar's for Grant's I have done

Ketel One - for Smirnoff

Baileys is not shown on the list but is a valid sub - selection

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...