Rijeka and Zadar

We're doing back-to-back Adriatic crises on Celebrity Infinity next July:

Sunday July 5                     CIVITAVECCHIA , ITALY                                  5:00 PM

Monday July 6                   MESSINA, SICILY, ITALY         12:00 PM     8:00 PM

Tuesday July 7                   VALLETTA, MALTA                   8:00 AM       6:00 PM

Wednesday July 8            AT SEA                                         

Thursday July 9                 KOTOR, MONTENEGRO         7:00 AM       5:00 PM

Friday July 10                     ZADAR, CROATIA                     11:00 AM     8:00 PM

Saturday July 11                RIJEKA, CROATIA                      8:00 AM       5:00 PM

Sunday July 12                   VENICE, ITALY                            6:45 AM

Monday July 13                 VENICE, ITALY                                                    5:00 PM

Tuesday July 14                 SPLIT, CROATIA                         9:00 AM       6:00 PM

Wednesday July 15         KOTOR, MONTENEGRO         8:00 AM       5:00 PM

Thursday July 16               CORFU , GREECE                       9:00 AM       6:00 PM

Friday July 17                     AT SEA                                         

Saturday July 18                NAPLES, ITALY                           7:00 AM       6:00 PM

Sunday July 19                   CIVITAVECCHIA , ITALY          5:15 AM

We've actually been everywhere on the itinerary at least once, but in most cases, several times EXCEPT Zadar and Rijeka.

We prefer to put together small group private tours--around 8 people maximum--from the Cruise Critic Roll Call...

We have a good idea as to what to do in all of the other ports (maybe even skipping doing any organized tour in Venice and Corfu...and the second stop in Kotor...maybe even a shorex here and there if we don't want the comprehensive sort of tour most first time visitors may want, leaving it hard to form a group).

So, the biggest puzzles for us will be "what to do in Zadar and Rijeka?", having never been to either before and knowing little about either.

For anyone familiar with these ports:

What is the best thing to see or do in each?

Any really good local tour companies or guides?

Also, for Split:  Last time we did a tour of Diacletian's Palace and Trogir.  Any alternative someone could recommend?

Thanks...

Zadar is a charming city with a Venetian feel about it -- it was part of Venice's empire. I was there on a small ship that offers free shore excursions and did a walking tour of several hours that allows you to see some of the architecture as well as visiting inside several fascinating Romanesque-style churches (St. Donatus, St. Mary's and one other whose name I can't recall...). Be aware that in Zadar they are QUITE strict about proper attire in churches. One young lady on our tour had on shorts and she was not allowed inside.

We also walked past remains of the town's Roman forum, and along the main shopping street where several shops sell the town's own maraschino cherry liqueur. 

After this, I stayed in town and had lunch then went and spent the rest of my time in the archaeological museum (lots of Roman stuff as it was originally a Roman town).

It's a small place and very easy to get around/walk around on your own.

As for Rijeka, it's a fairly new stop. I am going there next year, also on Celebrity, and I plan to arrange for a local guide to take me to nearby Pula, which has a stunning Roman amphitheatre and well-preserved Roman temple in the midst of a charming town. I've wanted to get to Pula for years. I'm not sure Rijeka has anything to compare...

For Split, consider going to nearby Salona. Salona was the Roman colony that existed before Diocletian retired there and built his palace. There are extensive ruins, probably best done with a guide unless you are knowledgeable. 

Edited by cruisemom42

Also, for Split:  Last time we did a tour of Diacletian's Palace and Trogir.  Any alternative someone could recommend?

We visited in June for the third time, and were also looking for something different but within Split rather than to elsewhere, after we looked at possible side trips.

Try Tripadvisor.  We went to Marjan Park, currently #2 on Split "things to do". There are quite a few options for exploring, some requiring a fair bit of effort, others less, so you can choose whatever suits your interests and abilities best.

I have a review on there which is currently on page #4 but likely to move from there as others are added. My heading has the words "VALI VEROS" on it. Probably worth a read as we didn't really use the staircase, but we did wander through the interesting area of Vali Veros and got great views. What we did was enough for us as it was an extremely hot day and we had quite a bit of shade and a more gradual rather than a steeper climb. Returned to the ship using the back streets of Split which were more shaded than the waterfront and discovered some pretty streets and squares there too.