Cruise Critic Community
NCteacherlovescruising

Time lines for touring NYC?

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I said say “upscale”;   and “reasonable for that part of town” —- which certainly does not translate to “reasonable” in most other places . 

😂 I remember from when we lived there that even McDonalds is expensive in Manhattan.  It does look good and it’s a definite possibly for breakfast Sunday morning. Ellen’s Stardust Diner looks good too. 

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

If if you want just plain “reasonable”, you could try the Skylight Diner at 4-hundred-something West 34 th Street - for a more gritty, “real” New York ambience.  I am sure the French toast would be half that, or less.

Those prices look better!  Yes, less than half. 

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Those prices look better!  Yes, less than half. 

But you do have to spend time or Uber fare getting to and from - it would be a long walk from your hotel.

9 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We just switched hotels. We will now be staying at the Courtyard Central Park. I chose it so we could avoid all the transportation hassles of Jersey City and even SoHo. Speaking of SoHo, we decided not to do that tour.  I see we can walk to Central Park, Top of the Rock, and St. Patrick’s Cathedral. No timelines, no rush...just walk and enjoy the sights. The only tour we are booking is the Champagne Sunset Cruise from Pier 62, Chelsea Piers. We will need transpiration there. Subway?  Is that what the icon is on google maps?  It appears any form of transportation is under a half hour, but now I understand I need to add more time than what it shows. How much additional time should I allow for a 7:15 cruise?  

Is there anything else within walking distance we might want to see, time permitting?  Is there a good Diner close?  We will need to find somewhere for breakfast Sunday morning. Thanks for the advice to switch to a NYC hotel. I had originally suggested that to dh but he quickly said no. However, at that time we were planning on driving and he didn’t want to deal with the traffic. He’s fine with it now that we’re flying.

Any restaurant suggestions in the area?  I don’t want to dress up and I’m not into “fancy” foods.  Dh likes everything, and I like Mexican, Italian (why that food tour looked so appealing!  Lol), and American. I love a good steak, but I doubt I would pay NYC prices for one.  Pizza one of my favorites, but it can make me ill so not the best idea. I’m sure there will be plenty of choices. 

Thanks for all all your help!

A few thoughts beyond those you've already got. You now have HOURS in Midtown, not "an hour or so", so you have many options around the places you're already planning to visit.

First of all, from your hotel, you can certainly go straight up Broadway to Columbus Circle and up to the Dakota and across into Central Park. I would suggest instead turning right on 55th, crossing 7th Avenue, and going north. Carnegie Hall is roughly 2 1/2 blocks from your hotel. You'd never know it if you weren't told. There's not a lot to see from the outside, but it's literally 5-10 minutes from your hotel, and a 2 minute detour. Head on up 7th Avenue to 59th, turn left until you reach Columbus Circle, and go north on Central Park West to the Dakota, then cross over into Central Park to Strawberry Fields.

Follow the reverse path from one of the earlier threads and wander Central Park. That's 1-2 hours; probably closer to 1 1/2. Exit the park at the southeast corner and you'll be adjacent to Fifth Avenue, and right across from the Plaza. Cross over to Fifth Avenue, on the east side of the street (look for the Apple store, or the construction site that used to be the Apple store) and head south. At 57th Street, you're staring into the windows of Tiffany and Co. If you have time, walk into the first floor; everyone does this, it's no big deal. If you need them, there are bathrooms on the Mezzanine. Continue down Fifth Avenue, past the security zone at 56th. St Patricks is at about 51st, your side of the street. Rockefeller Center begins at about 50th, opposite side of the street. Top of the Rock entrance is on 50th, just past the ice rink (which won't be an ice rink when you're there). Radio City Music Hall is across the street, with the main entrance on 6th Avenue.

If you're still awake, not too tired, and up for a walk, go back to Fifth Avenue and continue south. The Empire State Building is in the block on 34th Street and Fifth Avenue. If you continue south a few blocks, you can at least see the Flatiron Building. If you go right (west) on 34th, you'll go into Herold Square and Macy's. Keen's (mentioned earlier) is in this area. If you turn right on either 7th Avenue or Broadway, you'll find yourself in the south end of Times Square. The Starlight Diner is in the area, or grab a pizza at John's on 44th, or a cheesecake at Juniors. Assuming you're reasonably mobile, you can do all of that, and make multiple stops at Starbucks Eurocafe, or various local bodegas (any or all highly recommended) and still only take 4 hours or so, leaving you plenty of time to get back to your hotel and make your cruise.  

27 minutes ago, markeb said:

A few thoughts beyond those you've already got. You now have HOURS in Midtown, not "an hour or so", so you have many options around the places you're already planning to visit.

😁

First of all, from your hotel, you can certainly go straight up Broadway to Columbus Circle and up to the Dakota and across into Central Park. I would suggest instead turning right on 55th, crossing 7th Avenue, and going north. Carnegie Hall is roughly 2 1/2 blocks from your hotel. You'd never know it if you weren't told. There's not a lot to see from the outside, but it's literally 5-10 minutes from your hotel, and a 2 minute detour. Head on up 7th Avenue to 59th, turn left until you reach Columbus Circle, and go north on Central Park West to the Dakota, then cross over into Central Park to Strawberry Fields.

Strawberry Fields is on my CP list. 

Follow the reverse path from one of the earlier threads and wander Central Park. That's 1-2 hours; probably closer to 1 1/2. Exit the park at the southeast corner and you'll be adjacent to Fifth Avenue, and right across from the Plaza. Cross over to Fifth Avenue, on the east side of the street (look for the Apple store, or the construction site that used to be the Apple store) and head south. At 57th Street, you're staring into the windows of Tiffany and Co. If you have time, walk into the first floor; everyone does this, it's no big deal. If you need them, there are bathrooms on the Mezzanine. Continue down Fifth Avenue, past the security zone at 56th. St Patricks is at about 51st, your side of the street. Rockefeller Center begins at about 50th, opposite side of the street. Top of the Rock entrance is on 50th, just past the ice rink (which won't be an ice rink when you're there). Radio City Music Hall is across the street, with the main entrance on 6th Avenue.

I’m planning on doing Too of the Rock first.  My thought is it will get busier as the day goes on. Of course, I could be way off on my thinking. 

Also, that would let me know how long we can wonder around Central Park. 

If you're still awake, not too tired, and up for a walk, go back to Fifth Avenue and continue south. The Empire State Building is in the block on 34th Street and Fifth Avenue. If you continue south a few blocks, you can at least see the Flatiron Building. If you go right (west) on 34th, you'll go into Herold Square and Macy's. Keen's (mentioned earlier) is in this area. If you turn right on either 7th Avenue or Broadway, you'll find yourself in the south end of Times Square. The Starlight Diner is in the area, or grab a pizza at John's on 44th, or a cheesecake at Juniors. Assuming you're reasonably mobile, you can do all of that, and make multiple stops at Starbucks Eurocafe, or various local bodegas (any or all highly recommended) and still only take 4 hours or so, leaving you plenty of time to get back to your hotel and make your cruise.  

I think we are either going to Starlight or Brooklyn’s Diner for breakfast Sunday morning, but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t eat there for dinner as well. I recall one of them had an open face roast beef on their menu. 😋

We may add the 9-11 Memorial or Empire State Building if we have time. If not, no big deal. I think it would be cool to do the SOL after the sunset cruise, but does it get insanely crowded after dark?  Also, we may be completely exhausted by then!  Especially if we have some drinks on the cruise. We will have to get up around 3-3:30 AM to make our flight so we may crash and burn super early. Lol

I'm much calmer now that we changed our hotel. Taking out all that travel time, staying midtown, and focusing on that area is making everything so much easier. If we come back, we may stay in the SoHo area and wonder around there and lower Manhattan. John said if/when we come back we will stay 2 nights instead of one. That’s not possible this trip because I’m already taking a week off work. I’m a teacher so it’s a big deal to be out during the school year. It’s our 25th Anniversary though so we really wanted to celebrate ON our Anniversary this year, unlike most years where we do a summer cruise and call it our Anniversary cruise or just head up to the mountains for the weekend. 

Thank you all for your help!  

2 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Strawberry Fields is on my CP list. 

I’m planning on doing Too of the Rock first.  My thought is it will get busier as the day goes on. Of course, I could be way off on my thinking. 

Also, that would let me know how long we can wander around Central Park. 

Thank you all for your help!  

If you pull out a map and look at what I'm describing, It's basically a big circle. If you start by heading towards Fifth Avenue and down to Top of the Rock, you still see the same sights. Everything will be open when you get there, so no big difference. Just exit Times Square on 7th Avenue, and you're joining the circle, just not (necessarily) going back to the hotel.

You're welcome! We don't live there, and have never lived there, but spend as much time as we can in Manhattan. It's an amazing city!

I think it would be cool to do the SOL after the sunset cruise, but does it get insanely crowded after dark?”

The SOL is not open at night.  The last returning ferry from Liberty Island currently is 6:45 PM and this time varies during the year.

3 hours ago, 138east said:

I think it would be cool to do the SOL after the sunset cruise, but does it get insanely crowded after dark?”

The SOL is not open at night.  The last returning ferry from Liberty Island currently is 6:45 PM and this time varies during the year.

Plus getting to the SOL is not something to do on a whim. You need tickets. 

5 hours ago, 138east said:

Oops!  I was thinking one thing, yet typed another. 😳  I think it would be cool to do the Empire State Building after dark. Our Sunset Cruise is going by the SOL. 

2 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Plus getting to the SOL is not something to do on a whim. You need tickets. 

Sometimes my brain and my fingers aren’t on the same page! 🤪 See my above post. ☺️

Tami,  have fun and enjoy the sights and food.  Also have a wonderful cruise

52 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Tami,  have fun and enjoy the sights and food.  Also have a wonderful cruise

Thank you!  I’m very excited, and much more relaxed now that the only place we have to be at a specific time is Chelsea Piers for our 7:15 PM cruise. Speaking of which, can anyone recommend a good place to eat dinner in that area before we do this?  Nothing fancy, just good food that won’t break the bank. 

If you have time & looking for a place to eat, consider stopping at the Chelsea Market on 9th Avenue, actually it's an entire city block, between W. 15th Street & 16th Street - and you can connect to/pick up the High Line city park on top of the restored rails - walk north on a nice day, get off at 21st Street & walk west to the Chelsa Piers for your evening cruise.

CM is a indoor collection of shops, cafe, restaurants ... fresh seafood, etc. 

http://www.chelseamarket.com/

On 8/3/2019 at 12:56 PM, navybankerteacher said:

The Brooklyn Diner at 212 West 57 Street is also near your hotel - upscale diner, good menu and reasonable prices for that part of town.

I've eaten at the one in/near Times Square twice, excellent burgers both times.  Definitely a second suggestion to visit one...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

If you have time & looking for a place to eat, consider stopping at the Chelsea Market on 9th Avenue, actually it's an entire city block, between W. 15th Street & 16th Street - and you can connect to/pick up the High Line city park on top of the restored rails - walk north on a nice day, get off at 21st Street & walk west to the Chelsa Piers for your evening cruise.

CM is a indoor collection of shops, cafe, restaurants ... fresh seafood, etc. 

http://www.chelseamarket.com/

Yeah, I’ve heard of that. I just followed your link and noticed Los Tacos #1 is there. I believe that’s the highly rated Mexican joint on Trip Advisor. 👍🏻 I also think the wine bar with small plates would be nice. Is that the one with the water view?  If you don’t know off hand I could look it up. 

I’ve heard of the High Line, but perhaps the pictures I saw didn’t do it justice. What’s the big draw there?  

We should have plenty of time. All we have planned outside of the 7:15 Sunset Cruise (confirmation email says to checkin 15-30 minutes early) is walking around Central Park and perhaps Top of the Rock if lines aren’t too bad. Besides that we are going to see what we have time we have for and play it by ear.  I thinking  we will do breakfast at Ellen’s Stardust Diner on Sunday morning before heading to Cape Liberty. 

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

45 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

noticed Los Tacos #1 is there. I believe that’s the highly rated Mexican joint on Trip Advisor. 👍🏻

Los Tacos #1 are excellent. Nothing fancy-- literally you stand up and eat them. But excellent. Theres also a Dos Caminos down there, which isnt as good, but is a full service restaurant. 

46 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

High Line, but perhaps the pictures I saw didn’t do it justice. What’s the big draw there?

Its a wonderful park that is on an old railway viaduct. Much more trendy than Central Park among native New Yorkers these days. 

46 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I thinking  we will do breakfast at Ellen’s Stardust Diner on Sunday morning before heading to Cape Liberty.

This could be getting picky, but Ellens Stardust is sort of an overpriced theme park of a diner. The menu is more limited than a true diner and its priced stupidly-- $16 for a grilled cheese? Im a former Manhattanite and a diner lover and there are so many better near you. Tick Tock Diner is a Jersey import but very good and authentic. Astro's on 66th and 6th is great as is The Red Flame on 44th and 6th. 

12 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Los Tacos #1 are excellent. Nothing fancy-- literally you stand up and eat them. But excellent. Theres also a Dos Caminos down there, which isnt as good, but is a full service restaurant. 

I’d prefer standing to eat something better. There’s no place to sit near there?

12 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

This could be getting picky, but Ellens Stardust is sort of an overpriced theme park of a diner. The menu is more limited than a true diner and its priced stupidly-- $16 for a grilled cheese? Im a former Manhattanite and a diner lover and there are so many better near you. Tick Tock Diner is a Jersey import but very good and authentic. Astro's on 66th and 6th is great as is The Red Flame on 44th and 6th. 

Their pancakes looked so good and it’s only a 4 minute walk from our hotel. I can check the others out, but we would like something close since I will be in a hurry to get on the ship!  It seems like I already looked up Astro’s and their pancakes didn’t look like anything special, but I will verify.  I want big, fluffy, delicious pancakes. I had my heart set on the Brownstone Diner in Jersey City until we switched hotels. 

2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

It’s only a 7 minutes walk. Would it be less crowded than Ellen’s?

Yes- most likely a lot less crowded. Ellens is a tourist factory. 

14 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Yes- most likely a lot less crowded. Ellens is a tourist factory. 

Ellen’s you go to if you want entertainment not for the food. The food is ok but not a true diner. More like an Applebee’s. 

27 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Ellen’s you go to if you want entertainment not for the food. The food is ok but not a true diner. More like an Applebee’s. 

Yeah, there are others I’m looking at now. ..Brooklyn’s Diner, Nora’s, Tic Toc, Red Flame... They are all so flippin’ Expensive though. 

2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Yeah, there are others I’m looking at now. ..Brooklyn’s Diner, Nora’s, Tic Toc, Red Flame... They are all so flippin’ Expensive though. 

Yeah probably double what you’d pay back in NC. Even Applebee’s is much more lol 

2 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Yeah probably double what you’d pay back in NC. Even Applebee’s is much more lol 

Yes!  We went to Outback last weekend. My dh got a steak salad and I had a 6 oz sirloin and a glass of wine.  (We both drink water) It was only like $50, including a 20% tip!