RC Ovation of the Seas--Endicott Arm & Dawes glacier

gdwest

I have noticed a few posts that the Ovation is not visiting Endicott Arm and Dawes glacier due to ship size/ice floats.  Just wondering how often this is occurring.

Thinking I may need to reconsider our booked July 2020 Ovation Alaska cruise.

Thanks !

Honestly - I would never book that large of ship in Alaska. I had not read that about Dawes glacier but for the most part Endicott Arm/Dawes glacier is very accessible for ships. I would look into other options.

Hopefully someone can answer your question directly.

Ovation got in fine in May when we were there and other times this year, some of next years Dawes are being changed to Glacier Bay. You would want to check the itinerary to see if its Dawes or Glacier Bay.

2 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Ovation got in fine in May when we were there and other times this year, some of next years Dawes are being changed to Glacier Bay. You would want to check the itinerary to see if its Dawes or Glacier Bay.

Glacier Bay is pretty accessible for big ships.

This past June, for the first time, I took the small boat round trip to Tracy Arm from Juneau.  It was absolutely spectacular.  The small boat was able to get close to both Sawyer glaciers (something my previous cruise visits couldn't do).  We saw many harbor seals and their pups and an occasional bald eagle sitting on the icebergs.  The icebergs themselves were some of the most amazing blue colors I've ever seen. 

If you really want to see this area, take a small boat tour rather than hoping your cruise ship will get in.

• 2 weeks later...

On the Ovation Aug 2-9 we entered Endicott Arm but couldn’t get close to Dawes glacier due to ice and forest fire smoke obscured even a distant view. Attached is the picture at the glacier. Amazing trip nonetheless and I would totally do it again but something to consider if seeing the glacier from the ship is going to make or break the trip for you.

A5449E2E-BAA5-4616-828D-312B656735F8.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lv2sail_18 said:

On the Ovation Aug 2-9 we entered Endicott Arm but couldn’t get close to Dawes glacier due to ice and forest fire smoke obscured even a distant view. Attached is the picture at the glacier. Amazing trip nonetheless and I would totally do it again but something to consider if seeing the glacier from the ship is going to make or break the trip for you.

A5449E2E-BAA5-4616-828D-312B656735F8.jpeg

That just looks ugly! Too bad about the smoke.

I did Ovation in June and we got in fine. The few trips before us were not able to get in due to ice floats but that can happen at any time with nature. It was a gorgeous trip and I loved the boat.

Ovation will enter the Endicott Arm and sail to Dawes glacier as far as its safe for the ship because of the ice.

I've never heard they cancelled this route because of the ice, it will only change how close you get to the glacier but the scenery and views of Endicott Arm are breathtaking.