Boston to Cape cod

steve333

Have you ever been to Boston?  What are you interested in seeing?  There are so many things to see in Boston.  If you want to get out of the city, you could go to Harvard Square, the Kennedy Library, take the ferry to Salem.  

Is there something on this excursion you are particularly interested in?

• Like 1

It looks like you’re on P&O and are probably from the UK.  What exact dates will you be in Boston?  What are your interests?  What is the description of the trip to Cape Cod and how much does it cost?

Boston is very much a DIY city.  Downtown is close.  Public transit is good. If you’ve never been there I wouldn’t waste my time going to Cape Cod unless possibly the tour offered the Mayflower and Plimouth Plantation, and then I would still do Boston. There are Hoho trolleys and Duck tours.  The downtown streets are narrow and not good for big tour buses which is why DIY is so popular.  Many folks walk the Freedom Trail. As someone said you can go to Harvard Square, Kennedy Library, or Salem among other places. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, arl_nocaps said:

i plan to go the jfk library while in boston for the day.  i guess we would take uber -anyone know the distance or approx cost from

the cruise terminal?

arl_nocaps

Probably $15 or less.  It’s 3.6 miles.

If you have never been to Boston, it’s one great historical city. So much to see. For me vacationing on Cap Cod is the only way to see it. It’s a nice ride to Provincetown, but not much to see. You have to drive off the main road into each small town along the way.

• Thanks 1

If the trip to Cape Cod is the ferry to Provincetown that is a fun trip (although more cruising), as P-Town is terrific.

If it's a bus trip to Cape Cod, then I'd want to know where it goes and what time/day of week as you can hit tremendous traffic at the "wrong" times

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2019 at 11:03 PM, 138east said:

It looks like you’re on P&O and are probably from the UK.  What exact dates will you be in Boston?  What are your interests?  What is the description of the trip to Cape Cod and how much does it cost?

Boston is very much a DIY city.  Downtown is close.  Public transit is good. If you’ve never been there I wouldn’t waste my time going to Cape Cod unless possibly the tour offered the Mayflower and Plimouth Plantation, and then I would still do Boston. There are Hoho trolleys and Duck tours.  The downtown streets are narrow and not good for big tour buses which is why DIY is so popular.  Many folks walk the Freedom Trail. As someone said you can go to Harvard Square, Kennedy Library, or Salem among other places. 

Hi,you are correct we are travelling with P and O and from the UK,Cape Cod round trip by coach is around 80 dollars per person for the 7 hour trip-it appealed as we like to see as many different places as we can when cruising but now we have been given lots of information on Boston we may just spend the 2 days around mid September there instead-many thanks for the advice,Steve.

41 minutes ago, steve333 said:

Hi,you are correct we are travelling with P and O and from the UK,Cape Cod round trip by coach is around 80 dollars per person for the 7 hour trip-it appealed as we like to see as many different places as we can when cruising but now we have been given lots of information on Boston we may just spend the 2 days around mid September there instead-many thanks for the advice,Steve.

The ferry to Provincetown is great! Just make sure that you have guaranteed round trip! 

A bus trip for the day? Good luck!

I live  in Brewster, which is rather close to Provincetown   It is a good 90 minute ride on a good day! Cape Cod doesn’t even have a three lane highway! You have to go over one of two bridges to get here!

June to October traffic is incredible!  I know a tour from Boston last August prior to Veendam Canada cruise did a Cape Cod tour!

it never made it past Hyannis! They told me people just got off the bus in Hyannis and either took the public bus, taxi or Uber back to Boston! This happened in August on a hot humid cloudy day! It was four hours Boston to Hyannis!

It is beautiful here but in season incredible traffic! Off season just beautiful and you could see a lot in a day!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wasasalad said:

The ferry to Provincetown is great! Just make sure that you have guaranteed round trip! 

A bus trip for the day? Good luck!

I live  in Brewster, which is rather close to Provincetown   It is a good 90 minute ride on a good day! Cape Cod doesn’t even have a three lane highway! You have to go over one of two bridges to get here!

June to October traffic is incredible!  I know a tour from Boston last August prior to Veendam Canada cruise did a Cape Cod tour!

it never made it past Hyannis! They told me people just got off the bus in Hyannis and either took the public bus, taxi or Uber back to Boston! This happened in August on a hot humid cloudy day! It was four hours Boston to Hyannis!

It is beautiful here but in season incredible traffic! Off season just beautiful and you could see a lot in a day!

And from Brewster to P-town, Route 3A (Cranberry Highway) is one lane each way, with barricades to prevent passing.  Yeah, seven hours in a bus from Boston is not my idea of how best to spend my time around Boston.  Love the Cape in the off-season, we go from October-December and our favorite is Chatham.

13 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And from Brewster to P-town, Route 3A (Cranberry Highway) is one lane each way, with barricades to prevent passing.  Yeah, seven hours in a bus from Boston is not my idea of how best to spend my time around Boston.  Love the Cape in the off-season, we go from October-December and our favorite is Chatham.

3 and 3A end at the Sagamore traffic circle before you get on the Cape - once on, it’s 6, with stretches of 6A, up to Provincetown.  But I agree - a bus ride from Boston to Provincetown (particularly in season) is the sort of thing I’d pay to avoid rather than pay for. 

There is so much to see/do in Boston;  but, if you are determined to set foot on Cape Cod, the boat across the Bay to Provincetown would be the way to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1