Cruise Critic Community
CulverCityCruisers

Los Angeles based ship in the near future??

For all of us on the west coast PLEASE HELP us out here!!  We need a ship so we no longer have to give our $$$$ away to Princess or Carnival.  Starting to here rumors that finally Royal MIGHT be sending us a ship in 2020 or 2021. WOW, if we had a ship here we would be on her al the time!!

Anyone have any insight??

Celebrity had a ship or two that did the west coast years ago, but moved them out to more profitable areas. They have  recorded record sales and profits for the last couple of years, why would they change what is working for them? I don't think anyone is adding capacity out there, Sand Diego's cruise departures are probably half of what they were ten years ago. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Celebrity had a ship or two that did the west coast years ago, but moved them out to more profitable areas. They have  recorded record sales and profits for the last couple of years, why would they change what is working for them? I don't think anyone is adding capacity out there, Sand Diego's cruise departures are probably half of what they were ten years ago. 

Carnival Panorama is a brand new ship that starts out of SoCal this winter.

Edited by Beav1279

12 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Princess just moved out the newer Royal Princess, NCL brought out Bliss, and Carnival is bring a brand new ship to be deployed from Long Beach year round and currently has 3 year round ships and is enlarging and renovating its terminal .  There must be a reason that there are newer and new ships going out of So Cal.

We are booked to sail on Celebrity Eclipse from L.A. in October and the prices are NOT cheap!!  The ship is almost sold out.  YES there is demand.

40 minutes ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

For all of us on the west coast PLEASE HELP us out here!!  We need a ship so we no longer have to give our $$$$ away to Princess or Carnival.  Starting to here rumors that finally Royal MIGHT be sending us a ship in 2020 or 2021. WOW, if we had a ship here we would be on her al the time!!

I have no insight. But I like to guess.

How about Empress? I know she is going to NJ for next summer but now that Cuba is no longer an option, she may be looking for a new home.

Plus, she's paid off so it should be easy to be profitable. 

Not sure why Royal is conceding the west coast market to Princess and Carnival?

In response to that question at a recent Captain's Corner, the answer was there are currently no plans for sailings out of Southern California.

1 hour ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

Where did you hear these rumors?

Royal has determined that it's more profitable for them to base their ships elsewhere, so for now, anyway, it isn't happening.

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

I have no insight. But I like to guess.

How about Empress? I know she is going to NJ for next summer but now that Cuba is no longer an option, she may be looking for a new home.

Plus, she's paid off so it should be easy to be profitable. 

Not sure why Royal is conceding the west coast market to Princess and Carnival?

If they stuck Empress on WC doing short three and four day itineraries I'd be Diamond in no time!!

It's not just the money it's the time as well. To fly to FLL or MiA is cross country and takes all day plus getting in a day early a 4 day cruise becomes 6 days taken up.  A little weekender is 5 days. 

I have no desire to cruise Carnival.  I have had several friends here on the Coast try their short cruises and all came back with very very bad reviews. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

If they stuck Empress on WC doing short three and four day itineraries I'd be Diamond in no time!!

It's not just the money it's the time as well. To fly to FLL or MiA is cross country and takes all day plus getting in a day early a 4 day cruise becomes 6 days taken up.  A little weekender is 5 days. 

I have no desire to cruise Carnival.  I have had several friends here on the Coast try their short cruises and all came back with very very bad reviews. 

You can’t compare a short, old ship carnival cruise to the new vista class carnival ship. I cruise a lot living in south Florida. I enjoy my new carnival ship cruises just the same as oasis royal class. I can’t tell you how many people I have told this too, friends took the new carnival ships and where shocked. The old Vegas style 2,3,4 and 5 night cruises on carnival are the crap of 💩. But the new ships are great. Highly recommend going on panorama next year

Edited by renza

3 minutes ago, renza said:

You can’t compare a short, old ship carnival cruise to the new vista class carnival ship. I cruise a lot living in south Florida. I enjoy my new carnival ship cruises just the same as oasis royal class. I can’t tell you how many people I have told this too, friends took the new carnival ships and where shocked. The old Vegas style 2,3,4 and 5 night cruises on carnival are the crap of 💩. But the new ships are great. Highly recommend going on panorama next year

This thread is about WC based ships.  I have done one on Royal out of Miami and I loved it.  My friends have done Carnival on the WC and hated it.  That is the only comparison possible.

Panorama has only 7 day cruises except for one date which is sold out except for suites. Miracle, Inspiration, Imagination are the only ones sailing out of CA and they are rubbish cruises.

Sorry, you will need to bust out 15 cruise credits on Princess. Royal isn’t likely to base a ship on the west coast until they can handle doing Mexican cruises on a regular basis. If you and I are willing to build a private island off the west coast, Royal Caribbean will be the first to invest. 

2 hours ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

We are booked to sail on Celebrity Eclipse from L.A. in October and the prices are NOT cheap!!  The ship is almost sold out.  YES there is demand.

I am also booked on the LA to LA Eclipse in November.  Royal is not doing any coastal cruises this year, so I am doing the Eclipse.   The nice part is that the Eclipse is going to some West Coast cities that Royal has not gone to in a long time.

Now that Royal is doing more Panama Canal cruises there is no reason to not do a small test. They could do a Panama Canal cruise out to LA and spend 4 weeks doing a couple on the Pacific Coast and a couple down to Cabo etc. 

This would be a  easy way to see if the demand is there.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

Where? Around your dinner table? 😂🤣

BTW We feel your pain. We are booked in May 2020 on Royal Princess so we can do a Mexican Rivera cruise

Edited by PCWalton1

I remember cruising Radiance when she did regular routes out of San Diego.  But when Radiance left, I heard it was due to low profits so I'd be surprised if RCI tried this again.  

34 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I remember cruising Radiance when she did regular routes out of San Diego.  But when Radiance left, I heard it was due to low profits so I'd be surprised if RCI tried this again.  

Mariner maybe?  The other ships were the Vision and Monarch.

17 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

No, it was definitely Radiance.  Back around 2009.  It was when she had all those plumbing problems.  

6 hours ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

One ship almost selling out on one cruise doesn't show demand. Repositioning cruise on the Eclipse, in October, from Vancouver to L.A. seven day cruise, $499 for a balcony. That is cheap!

3 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

No, it was definitely Radiance.  Back around 2009.  It was when she had all those plumbing problems.  

Yes, Radiance used to sail out of San Diego.  Mariner was only in San Pedro briefly - February 2009 to mid 2010.  A failed experiment.  😉  (don't shoot the messenger)

We loved the Vision out of San Pedro and sailed her many times on the Mexican Riviera itinerary.

One of the big reasons Mariner failed was the timing...H1N1 hit and violence in Mexico.

I  will always keep up the hope that RCI will return to our coast someday...but every time this subject

is brought up it's always met with strong doubt...Never say never when it comes to what RCI may just

decide to do someday.

Serenade has been confirmed to stay in Australia only for one season in Winter 2020 so she could be an option for the West Coast from late 2021 with summer in Alaska and winter from LA or SD.

59 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Serenade has been confirmed to stay in Australia only for one season in Winter 2020 so she could be an option for the West Coast from late 2021 with summer in Alaska and winter from LA or SD.

piggy.gif?w=1080

11 hours ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

Doubt that will happen any time soon!