Jump to content

How to remember Port & Starboard


ALWAYS CRUZIN
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 6/1/2021 at 9:48 AM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

So what do you call the person in charge of cleaning the bath rooms? Head of the heads.

 

In "No Time For Sergeants" it was the Permanent Latrine Orderly.   😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/8/2021 at 5:08 AM, d9704011 said:

This is a good example of why we need pages and pages of tips on how to identify and remember port and starboard.  Your suggestion is absolutely useless!  What happens if the person is not facing forward when he/she consults the belly or butt then refers to the hands?  Easy to get totally turned around!

 

If the ship is backing up, does port become starboard and forward become aft?  Since ships can now move sideways, what then.  If it is moving to the left, does port become forward and forward become starboard.  

 

DON

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

 

If the ship is backing up, does port become starboard and forward become aft?  Since ships can now move sideways, what then.  If it is moving to the left, does port become forward and forward become starboard.  

 

DON

 

No. A significannt reason for retaining port and starboard is they convey the orientation of the vessel along with the side.

 

 

Edited by broberts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fore, aft, port, starboard, it dopes not reference the way your are facing. has nothing to do with it. Same with any vehicle. The front of your car is always the front no matter which way your are facing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, broberts said:

 

No. A significannt reason for retaining port and starboard is they convey the orientation of the vessel along with the side.

 

 

 

I was being somewhat facetious about the fact that we have a 130 post thread about how to remember what is port and starboard.  I wasn't being serious.

 

DON

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

 

I was being somewhat facetious about the fact that we have a 130 post thread about how to remember what is port and starboard.  I wasn't being serious.

 

DON

 

Smilies are your friends. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Fore, aft, port, starboard, it dopes not reference the way your are facing. has nothing to do with it. Same with any vehicle. The front of your car is always the front no matter which way your are facing.

 

But if I'm facing my front towards the rear then my rear is towards the front.  🤔

 

And, we haven't even started exploring compass points yet!  haha.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Not in the NAVY!

 

I know.  It just made me think of that great scene from that old movie.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

As someone who plays FFXIV the whole starboard and larboard lingo has given me PTSD 😭

 

Port being 4 letters, same as Left, helps a ton. Also, larboard starts with an L, like left. Aft and bow always seemed easy to remember.

Edited by sergel02
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sergel02 said:

Aft and bow always seemed easy to remember.

Except that "bow" is a location on the ship, and "aft" is a direction.  "Bow" and "Stern" are the two ends of a ship.  "Forward" and "aft" are directions that you move on a ship, or adjectives to describe locations relative to each's position on the ship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Except that "bow" is a location on the ship, and "aft" is a direction.  "Bow" and "Stern" are the two ends of a ship.  "Forward" and "aft" are directions that you move on a ship, or adjectives to describe locations relative to each's position on the ship.

We could get into "abaft" and "athwart". 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Except that "bow" is a location on the ship, and "aft" is a direction.  "Bow" and "Stern" are the two ends of a ship.  "Forward" and "aft" are directions that you move on a ship, or adjectives to describe locations relative to each's position on the ship.

Hmm I’ve seen ships name the back the aft, but is it just meaning that you’re heading aft of the ship while you head to the stern?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sergel02 said:

Hmm I’ve seen ships name the back the aft, but is it just meaning that you’re heading aft of the ship while you head to the stern?

Really?  I spent a lot of time on ships and never heard the expression 'the aft'.  Also, you don't head aft of the ship, that construction is simply not used.  When a person says.... I'm going aft, it's understood they are making their way towards the stern.  It's not necessary that they go all the way to the stern, just in that general direction relative to where they start from.

 

You wouldn't be strangling the vocabulary just for mischief would you?

Edited by d9704011
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sergel02 said:

Hmm I’ve seen ships name the back the aft, but is it just meaning that you’re heading aft of the ship while you head to the stern?

Please give an example of this.  Cruise Critic is the only place I've seen people refer to the stern of a ship as "the aft", or "show me your aft".  "Aft" is an adjective or adverb, not a noun.  There may be areas of the ship called the "aft restaurant", or the "aft stairs", but again, "aft" is the adjective describing the noun, and referring to a relative location of the stairs in regards to other stairs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, d9704011 said:

 

You wouldn't be strangling the vocabulary just for mischief would you?

Nope. If I truly wanted to be mischievous there would be more fun ways to do it.

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Please give an example of this.  Cruise Critic is the only place I've seen people refer to the stern of a ship as "the aft", or "show me your aft".  "Aft" is an adjective or adverb, not a noun.  There may be areas of the ship called the "aft restaurant", or the "aft stairs", but again, "aft" is the adjective describing the noun, and referring to a relative location of the stairs in regards to other stairs.


Maybe one reason it confused me is when booking staterooms. 
Not sure if the links will work, but when I booked a random room on Royal Caribbean’s site, it breaks the sections to Aft, Midship, and Foward. Those are referring to the directions you’re heading, and it makes sense if I actually say it aloud. Like I would say “my cabin is midship”, not really that “my cabin is in the midship”, so it makes sense to say “my cabin is aft” and not in “the aft” 

But it’s not so odd that others may get confused like me lol.

 

Doesn’t help that different cruise lines label them differently on their sites. Carnival just lists them as Back, Middle, and Foward

 


I’ve heard youtubers refer to places as “the aft” Like at 1:50 here but maybe they’re cruise critic users too haha 

 

I did stumble upon this pic though which helps.

7SRVZEV.gif

 

 

Edited by sergel02
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, sergel02 said:

Not sure if the links will work, but when I booked a random room on Royal Caribbean’s site, it breaks the sections to Aft, Midship, and Foward. Those are referring to the directions you’re heading, and it makes sense if I actually say it aloud. Like I would say “my cabin is midship”, not really that “my cabin is in the midship”, so it makes sense to say “my cabin is aft” and not in “the aft” 

The descriptions of cabins as "aft, midship, and forward" are the other definition of those terms, not a direction (adverb modifying the verb "to go"), but the adjective, signifying the location with respect to other cabins.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Seems to me that understanding the terms  port, starboard, etc. is not such a mentally challenging exercise that one has to make up dittos to remember it.

Edited by iancal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember that Port and Starboard in to fashions.

 

Port is Left

Starboard is Right

 

Also I remember it this way.

 

Power Steering........ P first Port and S is second Starboard....... Power (Port) - Steering (Starboard)..

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I remember that Port and Starboard in to fashions.

 

Port is Left

Starboard is Right

 

Also I remember it this way.

 

Power Steering........ P first Port and S is second Starboard....... Power (Port) - Steering (Starboard)..

 

 

WHAT?????   Why not an easy one - perhaps something like:

 

Near the PORT of Los Angeles there is a place called Hollywood  where there is group of people - known as a BOARD  who select actors to win awards - each actor selected becomes known as a STAR -- so that group of people gets called the STARBOARD,   Now all you have to do is remember  that Port is on your left as you face the bow and Starboard is on your right.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, iancal said:

Seems to me that understanding the terms  port, starboard, etc. is not such a mentally challenging exercise that one has to make up dittos to remember it.

 

How does understanding terms have anything to do with knowing the correct labels?

 

I understand the periodic table but have never been able to memorize even the first few elements.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, broberts said:

 

How does understanding terms have anything to do with knowing the correct labels?

 

I understand the periodic table but have never been able to memorize even the first few elements.

I'm sure you remember though, that Hydrogen and the Alkali Metals are often depicted on the left-hand (port) side of the Perodic Table and the Noble Gases on the right-hand side (starboard).

Edited by d9704011
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...