Cruise Critic Community
BeakerR

John Heald back again as Cruise Director on certain cruises!

I’ve had the good fortune of being on 3 cruises with John when he was a CD. He was fantastic, friendly and funny as hell. Especially when Wee Jimmy was his assistant CD.

Now I follow him on Facebook and he’s still funny as hell, very informative and will answer pretty much every question he receives. His Facebook live videos when he’s on a ship are great. 

No no other cruise line could ever duplicate John or what he provides carnival cruisers. 

39 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

I’ve had the good fortune of being on 3 cruises with John when he was a CD. He was fantastic, friendly and funny as hell. Especially when Wee Jimmy was his assistant CD.

Now I follow him on Facebook and he’s still funny as hell, very informative and will answer pretty much every question he receives. His Facebook live videos when he’s on a ship are great. 

No no other cruise line could ever duplicate John or what he provides carnival cruisers. 

do you also follow him on his blog? Someone says he has the most followed blog on the net.

I don't know about YOU guys, but I for one am using his posted schedule to try to arrange a cruise where I can meet this guy and smoke cigars with him.

13 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

do you also follow him on his blog? Someone says he has the most followed blog on the net.

Travel blog..... yes

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Travel blog..... yes

Where can we find this blog? I did a search but found a blog that seemed to end in November 2017?

1 hour ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Where can we find this blog? I did a search but found a blog that seemed to end in November 2017?

It is his Facebook page now.

I believe you are correct. He stopped the blog, is what I read.

1 minute ago, coevan said:

I believe you are correct. He stopped the blog, is what I read.

Way easier and faster to do it on FB

On 8/3/2019 at 10:33 AM, Organized Chaos said:

Fascinated by him is an understatement. I don't get why he's treated like a rock star. Unfortunately, anytime anything negative is said about him, the posts/threads get the axe. Which I don't understand, considering he's always talking trash about CC..... Not to mention the fact that he's always bashing CC users, yet he uses this forum to fill his fb full of content. Sometimes I can't help but wonder if he has an incognito account here. His fans sure do work overtime to keep him apprised of what's said on here. I think it's highly unprofessional and uncalled for when someone, who's supposed to be the liaison between company and customer, attacks those very customers. And no, not all of it is merely him defending himself.

This is my problem with him as well, cruise critic is as close to social media as I like to go on a regular basis. However, every time I do look at his page on FB, he is disparaging of CC and I think that's messed up because CC has been a really interesting place for me. Carnival's boards are so much more lively than any of the other ones.

21 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

He stopped his blog about 2 years ago and went full time FB to disseminate info, stories and good cheer. 

18 minutes ago, lottiegreen56 said:

This is my problem with him as well, cruise critic is as close to social media as I like to go on a regular basis. However, every time I do look at his page on FB, he is disparaging of CC and I think that's messed up because CC has been a really interesting place for me. Carnival's boards are so much more lively than any of the other ones.

There’s got to be a reason he has a quarter million followers on FB. He’s a treasure. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FSHLOT said:

If it wasnt for Cruise Critic,  he wouldnt have anything to say..imo

Whenever i see him on FB he is talking about the same exact stuff posted on here, and yet we hear him bash CC sometimes. I dont get it.

Don’t flatter yourselves.  CC has nothing to do with his popularity.  Splinter groups (initially from here) are his main bashers.  That said, all is good.  He is the company’s main spokesperson and a gem of one at that., the other mainlines wish they a resource like him.

Edited by jimbo5544

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Don’t flatter yourselves.  CC has nothing to do with his popularity.  Splinter groups (initially from here) are his main bashers.  That said, all is good.  He is the company’s main spokesperson and a gem of one at that., the other mainlines wish they a resource like him.

I found out about Super Mario from CC and he seems like a unofficial Royal spokesperson sometimes. He is a lot more interesting/funny imo.

2 minutes ago, lottiegreen56 said:

I found out about Super Mario from CC and he seems like a unofficial Royal spokesperson sometimes. He is a lot more interesting/funny imo.

Do not sail a lot of RCCL ships, so I would not know.  Imitation is the biggest form of flattery tho.  Princess had a senior Management type (maybe the President??) who used to occasionally blog giving a different viewpoint on cruising.  He was very interesting as well.

Long ago (not from my perspective but many here....😉) Carnival had a CD who was very popular *before it was “the” thing) who left and went to Royal, where he flourished, he passed away somewhat suddenly.  He was old. School but very likable 

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

Do not sail a lot of RCCL ships, so I would not know.  Imitation is the biggest form of flattery tho.  Princess had a senior Management type (maybe the President??) who used to occasionally blog giving a different viewpoint on cruising.  He was very interesting as well.

Long ago (not from my perspective but many here....😉) Carnival had a CD who was very popular *before it was “the” thing) who left and went to Royal, where he flourished, he passed away somewhat suddenly.  He was old. School but very likable 

Ahhh I vaguely remember your reference, what was his name again? I didn't know he passed away, sad.

For a spokesman, JH just seems to have a lot of foot in mouth moments. He's not funny to me in the least bit. The point has been made and it's valid that if someone doesn't like JH and voices it, even in a nice way, he or she is automatically labeled a basher or troublemaker. I'm just not sure why there's o much reverence. Ken B, is a bigger deal imo

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, lottiegreen56 said:

Ahhh I vaguely remember your reference, what was his name again? I didn't know he passed away, sad.

For a spokesman, JH just seems to have a lot of foot in mouth moments. He's not funny to me in the least bit. The point has been made and it's valid that if someone doesn't like JH and voices it, even in a nice way, he or she is automatically labeled a basher or troublemaker. I'm just not sure why there's o much reverence. Ken B, is a bigger deal imo

I even tried to google him but it did not click, memory fails me, I can see his face in my minds eye....

Edited by jimbo5544

On 8/3/2019 at 9:01 AM, Essiesmom said:

I guess the rumors that he would be on our Legend TA were premature...EM

I had also heard he would be on the Norway cruise but don't see it listed.  

1 hour ago, JaniceB said:

I had also heard he would be on the Norway cruise but don't see it listed.  

Are you referring to the Mardi Gras initial cruise?  If so, I would be shocked if he were not on it.

Looks like he will not be doing any journey cruises. When they announced the Hawaii cruise out of San Diego last year he said he expected to be on it. Nice fellow but if you book a cruise because he is on it be aware his plans change all the time

1 hour ago, Micahs Grandad said:

Nice fellow but if you book a cruise because he is on it be aware his plans change all the time

Right! Legend to Alaska in May and Miracle Tampa to LA (Panama Canal) at the end of September were on JH cruise list. Cancelled the Alaska one in favor of Sunrise inaugural ceremonies and the Miracle thru the canal is sold out so they don't need him on it. He will be on the FFS cruise for sure. The rest as they say is, 'subject to change'.

7 minutes ago, rn4t5 said:

Right! Legend to Alaska in May and Miracle Tampa to LA (Panama Canal) at the end of September were on JH cruise list. Cancelled the Alaska one in favor of Sunrise inaugural ceremonies and the Miracle thru the canal is sold out so they don't need him on it. He will be on the FFS cruise for sure. The rest as they say is, 'subject to change'.

And typically he will leave before the end of the cruise, that happened twice when we did a journey cruise with him.