Cabin Guarantee

MsSoCalCruiser

8 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I have two questions:  Would the cruise line attempt to do upsells before giving away upgrades to the GTY bookings?  I looked at the website you referenced and they state that if you are a Captain's Circle member your chance of an upgrade are pretty low.  Anybody have an answer why that would be the case?  That actually seems counter-intuitive. 

I've never booked a GTY before but I am interested in trying it for the experience. 

If they want your cabin to sell it to someone else, they will upgrade you no matter your status.  However the rumor is the upgrade fairy visits new passengers more frequently than past passengers, all things being equal.  However that's probably very minor.  We've gone on cruises with couples, where we had last status, and 2 other couples had no status.  All booked the same gty inside category, we got what we booked, another couple got what they booked and the last couple got upgraded to balcony.  Not much rhyme or reason.  However they were raving about how awesome it was to have an upgrade and based on the gamblers fallacy booked again.  The other couple with no status had a good time all the same but didn't feel so inclined to book again.  Would they have if they got an upgrade?  Maybe, maybe not, but I would surmise the cruise lines hope (or have data) that new passengers with an upgrade spend more onboard or come back more frequently?  Maybe??

I've seen upgrades without an upsell as well as upgrades following an upsell attempt and upsell attempt without a subsequent upgrade.  There are so many factors to consider.

I think most cruisers don't consider all upgrades equal...inside to inside may not be an upgrade but inside to Oceanview usually is...unless it's in a bad location.

But to the cruise line, an upgrade is usually done if they believe they can sell the cabin you were in (for more than you paid) while putting you in one they don't feel as confident about selling.  They have all the data.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, cruiseblues2013 said:

We are leaving this Sunday on the Star, roundtrip out of Seattle.  Booked our cruise about 5 weeks ago, had no choice on cabin selection, almost everything was GTY.  We went ahead and booked a Balcony BD GTY, assigned cabin today upgraded to Balcony BB, nice upgrade, happy with the location.  Ship has been showing sold out for a week or two, we are Platinum, not sure if assignment was based on loyalty.  Looking for to our 6th Alaska cruise, our only port we can drive to 🙂 

Our first cruise was a Western Caribbean on the Star.  I had to surprise DW with the cruise as she wasn't sure she wanted to go out on the ocean.  It was 4 days after her retirement having worked for 42 years straight out of high school.  We still have very fond memories of our sail on the Star Princess.  Maybe it's because we were cherry, but it was the best time we had on a cruise ship.  I'm jealous!  :classic_sad:

• Like 1

I know, I know, choose your cabin if you like certain things but I thought I would try it once.  Well I ended up north of the forward elevators and it’s a connecting cabin.  A bit bummed and hoping for an upsell offer.  I wanted to try the guarantee one time.  Hope I’m ok that far forward... we will find out soon.  I hope are neighbors are quiet.

On 8/17/2019 at 1:19 AM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I know, I know, choose your cabin if you like certain things but I thought I would try it once.  Well I ended up north of the forward elevators and it’s a connecting cabin.  A bit bummed and hoping for an upsell offer.  I wanted to try the guarantee one time.  Hope I’m ok that far forward... we will find out soon.  I hope are neighbors are quiet.

I thought I would share with you that I also booked a guarantee IF, and I received my assignment today.  It's an IB, Baja Deck, Mid-Forward.  I'm on the Royal, so I'm not worried about the motion.  Of course a balcony would have been fabulous, but I'm happy with the location.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, partybarbie said:

I thought I would share with you that I also booked a guarantee IF, and I received my assignment today.  It's an IB, Baja Deck, Mid-Forward.  I'm on the Royal, so I'm not worried about the motion.  Of course a balcony would have been fabulous, but I'm happy with the location.  

Congratulations on your upgrade!  I actually booked a guarantee IB and I’m literally a few cabins away from IF.  I didn’t expect an upgrade but I honestly thought I would end up in the south end of the IB category.  I don’t know why I thought that, I just did.   I’m also on the Royal...  is there less motion on this ship for some reason?   I hope so because I’m a little worried.   Hoping for an upgrade to an IA, lol.  I just looked at your signature and we are on the same cruise!  😊

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Congratulations on your upgrade!  I actually booked a guarantee IB and I’m literally a few cabins away from IF.  I didn’t expect an upgrade but I honestly thought I would end up in the south end of the IB category.  I don’t know why I thought that, I just did.   I’m also on the Royal...  is there less motion on this ship for some reason?   I hope so because I’m a little worried.   Hoping for an upgrade to an IA, lol.  I just looked at your signature and we are on the same cruise!  😊

Ha Ha!  I was wondering if we were on the same one.  It's such a short cruise, I haven't really been on the roll call.  I'm a tour organizer on a couple of my other cruises, so that's been keeping me busy.  

Anyway, I just spent three weeks on the Royal, in those far forward balcony cabins on the Riviera Deck.  I never felt seasick at all, but there was a little more motion up there than other parts of the ship.  I don't think it will be too bad though.  If you have never been on the Royal, this ship is huge.  Most of the time it was so smooth, you would swear it wasn't moving.  

32 minutes ago, partybarbie said:

Ha Ha!  I was wondering if we were on the same one.  It's such a short cruise, I haven't really been on the roll call.  I'm a tour organizer on a couple of my other cruises, so that's been keeping me busy.  

Anyway, I just spent three weeks on the Royal, in those far forward balcony cabins on the Riviera Deck.  I never felt seasick at all, but there was a little more motion up there than other parts of the ship.  I don't think it will be too bad though.  If you have never been on the Royal, this ship is huge.  Most of the time it was so smooth, you would swear it wasn't moving.  

I hope so, lol. On my Ruby coastal cruise last March it was really rough.  We had Gail force winds in San Francisco and had to leave Monterey without porting.  I never got sick but I did get hurt.  I’m still healing from that one.  Life happens 😊

7 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I hope so, lol. On my Ruby coastal cruise last March it was really rough.  We had Gail force winds in San Francisco and had to leave Monterey without porting.  I never got sick but I did get hurt.  I’m still healing from that one.  Life happens 😊

Yes, we had a lot of rain this year, snow too.  I boarded the Royal at Easter and got off in Vancouver.  The weather was pretty great and ship was wonderful.  Hoping for the same this time, and that you continue to heal. I'll pop over to the roll call and introduce myself. 

11 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

This assignment above is for my 7 day CA Coastal which is 2 weeks after my 5 day Cabo cruise that you are on.  For Cabo we booked a Portside, towards aft, balcony.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RMM34667 said:

Booked a BA GTY on the Crown.  Figure I can't go wrong with that. Hoping for a Mini which are currently listed as sold out. 

You might get lucky and get a  reasonable upsell offer to a mini.  Good luck.

42 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Asking because I am new at booking guarantees.... Do you usually receive an email when your cabin is assigned?

Yes, I booked directly with Princess and they sent me an email.

I got another email today for my Nov. Panama cruise.  On this one it was booked as an IF guarantee and I was assigned an IB, mid-ship aft, on Aloha Deck. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, partybarbie said:

Yes, I booked directly with Princess and they sent me an email.

I got another email today for my Nov. Panama cruise.  On this one it was booked as an IF guarantee and I was assigned an IB, mid-ship aft, on Aloha Deck. 

I booked directly with my Princess PVP.  I found my cabin assignment a few days ago but still haven’t received an email from Princess.

11 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I booked directly with my Princess PVP.  I found my cabin assignment a few days ago but still haven’t received an email from Princess.

That's strange.  I would have thought they would have sent you an email.  Maybe the PVP is out of the office?

If you don't like your assignment, you may be able to change to another cabin.  I ended up changing from the IB to an IE, so I could be closer to my other cabin, as this is B2B cruise with my Tran-Atlantic cruise. I told them "no upgrade" because I don't want to get moved. 

34 minutes ago, partybarbie said:

That's strange.  I would have thought they would have sent you an email.  Maybe the PVP is out of the office?

If you don't like your assignment, you may be able to change to another cabin.  I ended up changing from the IB to an IE, so I could be closer to my other cabin, as this is B2B cruise with my Tran-Atlantic cruise. I told them "no upgrade" because I don't want to get moved. 

It’s showing sold out.  I keep looking but nothing yet.  

I know that she is in the office because I called her and ordered something yesterday.  Would she be the one to send an email?   I told her that we ended up with a forward cabin so if she’s the one that sends the email maybe she figured that I wouldn’t need it. 

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

It’s showing sold out.  I keep looking but nothing yet.  

I know that she is in the office because I called her and ordered something yesterday.  Would she be the one to send an email?   I told her that we ended up with a forward cabin so if she’s the one that sends the email maybe she figured that I wouldn’t need it. 

Yes, I believe it would go to her, then she would forward it to you.  Since you talked to her on the phone, she probably thought you didn't need it. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 10:42 AM, Daniel A said:

Asked before already but I'm curious too.  What ship had a Mini with no balcony?  Was it a Princess ship or another line?

When my mom and I took our first cruise together, we booked a standard ocean view.  Knowing that she'd prefer a tub over a shower, I upgraded us to a minisuite on Coral Princess...she got her tub but there was no balcony.  That didn't matter to her, but I would have loved the balcony.  The cost difference between the standard ocean view and the minisuite was substantial and it's all I could swing!

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2019 at 3:27 PM, Kingofcool1947 said:

You might get lucky and get a  reasonable upsell offer to a mini.  Good luck.

Got my "1st assignment".. B2 mid forward Caribe deck balcony.  Happy if that's where I end up. Forgot about the Premium Balconies when I thought I did the highest level balcony GTY. But considering we started with a free Oceanview and upgraded to the BA GTY fot $150 I am pretty pleased 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RMM34667 said:

Got my "1st assignment".. B2 mid forward Caribe deck balcony.  Happy if that's where I end up. Forgot about the Premium Balconies when I thought I did the highest level balcony GTY. But considering we started with a free Oceanview and upgraded to the BA GTY fot $150 I am pretty pleased 

Great.  

Have you checked the deck plan?  Are you OK with your  BA GTY location?  For me, it’s like real estate.  Location, location, location.  😜

Enjoy your cruise.

On 8/19/2019 at 4:08 PM, partybarbie said:

I kept checking and saw an IA open up and I grabbed it!  It’s a sideways cabin and I’ve never had one of those before so I’m definitely looking forward to it.  I paid for the upgrade but I’m more than happy with the price. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Great.  

Have you checked the deck plan?  Are you OK with your  BA GTY location?  For me, it’s like real estate.  Location, location, location.  😜

Enjoy your 

Yeah and a BA is midship middle decks.  But my upgrade is mid forward deck 10 so it is all good. 

On 8/19/2019 at 7:08 PM, partybarbie said:

Hi Partybarbie,

I never booked a guarantee cabin. It would make me crazy not knowing what cabin I have until the last day. 😳

that all said I just wanted to say have a great time on the cruise.

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

9 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I kept checking and saw an IA open up and I grabbed it!  It’s a sideways cabin and I’ve never had one of those before so I’m definitely looking forward to it.  I paid for the upgrade but I’m more than happy with the price. 

Congrats!  It does pay to keep checking, and paying a little extra, to get a better cabin, is worth it.  

• Like 1