Oceania Transfer Port to Rome Hotel

bbtondo

When you disembark the ship in Civ. and use Oceania's transfer to a hotel in Rome, approximately what time can you expect to arrive at your hotel? I realize there are other ways to get to your hotel in Rome, just want to know about Oceania's transfer.  Thanks!

The main reason we don't use O's transfers is the exorbitant cost.  You are much better off using someone like Rome Cabs, especially if you can find someone to share with you on your Roll Call.

I'm recalling (probably incorrectly) that it took us about an hour and a half  to get from central Rome to the port several years ago.  This included making one nearby stop in Rome to pick up the other passengers.

Lyn's point about a possible panorama tour on the way is a good one!

Mura

I appreciate your responses.  I am using Oceania's transfer to a hotel I booked with Oceania when I leave the ship to go to my post cruise hotel. Not going from the hotel to the ship.  Yes, I understand the costs, other options.  

LHT28  I haven't seen anything mentioned as far as a drive by city tour, which is not something I want. I will check with Oceania about that.

Just would like to know approximately what time I can expect to get to the hotel.  Not checkin, just what time.  Thanks! 

If you only booked the transfer (as opposed to having the hotel package) then my guess is that there would NOT be a tour included.  There MIGHT be one if, for example, they know that you will be getting to the hotel before the rooms are ready.  Come to think of it, does the transfer have multiple hotel stops?  That could certainly eat into your time.

On our first Renaissance cruise we left the ship in Barcelona. Ren included hotel stays of 2 or 3 days depending on your room category (at five star hotels) and I remember that we did have a panoramic tour of Barcelona upon leaving the ship.  And our rooms were ready when we arrived at the hotel.  But that was Renaissance which is not Oceania!

Mura

I would assume that everyone that is disembarking that took the Oceania hotel option would disembark at the same time. The only way you would know what time you would get there is if someone has done that in the same port and reports here. It may be early, it may be late. Once everyone is loaded on the bus then it will take off.

I'm sure you have your reasons for doing it like this but their hotels or transfers is pretty much something I'd never do, or only in extreme case. 

As I said, I understand all the options for getting to the hotel post cruise package, costs, etc.

Just looking to see if anyone has done this and has an idea at what time I would arrive at the hotel in Rome.

LHT28:  I agree with you that I figured about 11AM.  It's not critical that I get to the hotel by 11AM.  But I have an afternoon private tour scheduled and don't want to be late.  I'm assuming I would have plenty of time to meet my private tour, but thought maybe someone here would have an idea of the hotel arrival time.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts.  

I am just guessing here  but I think the OP has the Hotel package with O  where transfers are included in the hefty price  they paid 

not sure they want to ditch the transfer  & pay again

18 hours ago, bbtondo said:

As I said, I understand all the options for getting to the hotel post cruise package, costs, etc.

Just curious why you would not take a private transfer when it is less expensive and under your control - particularly as you have plans for the afternoon.

On 8/4/2019 at 10:39 AM, Paulchili said:

Just curious why you would not take a private transfer when it is less expensive and under your control - particularly as you have plans for the afternoon.

We are going on this trip with a group of people that this is their first time in Europe. Everyone knows the options, pros and cons.  We feel more comfortable having the cruiseline handle all of this.  If you don't like the decision we have made, that's OK.  I may not like decisions other people have made.  It's not right or wrong.  It's a personal choice.

Just looking for an answer to my question, that's all.  If you don't know, that's fine.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

We are going on this trip with a group of people that this is their first time in Europe. Everyone knows the options, pros and cons.  We feel more comfortable having the cruiseline handle all of this.  If you don't like the decision we have made, that's OK.  I may not like decisions other people have made.  It's not right or wrong.  It's a personal choice.

Just looking for an answer to my question, that's all.  If you don't know, that's fine.

I don't have a problem with your decision - it's your vacation, your money and your call.

I was just wondering why you chose to go that way and now I know why and respect your decision.

@bbtondo - worst case, once you are onboard, Destination Services should be able to give you more definite information as to estimated arrival time at your Rome hotel.  That would give you plenty of time to make any necessary adjustments to your plans.

• Like 1

To clarify, I have never taken a post cruise excursion through the cruise line. However, Oceania offers several classes of hotel accommodation all in different areas of Rome. You need to disembark the ship at 8 or 9 am. Depending on how many cruisers have opted for the post excursion would impact how many buses are required and the time it takes to load them with the passengers. I am assuming that each bus will make multiple hotel stops. It take about an 1 1/2 hours from the port to downtown Rome depending on the traffic. You can't check in until 3 pm even with Oceania reservations so the luggage will need to be stored with the hotel which may take some time to get your baggage check receipt. I would check with Oceania directly and see if you can get a handle on timing so you don't miss your afternoon tour. 

First of all this is not the answer to your question, but we booked a hotel in Rome through Oceania last November pre cruise and the whole thing was pretty much top notch! They picked us up from the airport in a private transfer and since they were dealing with the hotel directly, we were actually able to check in at like 8 AM in the morning. We even had free breakfast daily which was part of the package and they handled all of our luggage. The only disappointing part was that we were booked in a penthouse and normally you can get on the ship earlier, but since we had to wait for other passengers at the hotel that were in different categories, we didn’t actually get to take advantage of that. We also had to wait for passengers who were late to the bus. My point in posting this is, that booking the hotel with the transfers was pretty much a positive experience! Have so much fun!,

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Misssmb said:

First of all this is not the answer to your question, but we booked a hotel in Rome through Oceania last November pre cruise and the whole thing was pretty much top notch! They picked us up from the airport in a private transfer and since they were dealing with the hotel directly, we were actually able to check in at like 8 AM in the morning. We even had free breakfast daily which was part of the package and they handled all of our luggage. The only disappointing part was that we were booked in a penthouse and normally you can get on the ship earlier, but since we had to wait for other passengers at the hotel that were in different categories, we didn’t actually get to take advantage of that. We also had to wait for passengers who were late to the bus. My point in posting this is, that booking the hotel with the transfers was pretty much a positive experience! Have so much fun!,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.  It was very helpful!