Jump to content

6 Day Cruise Tour in Italy


Recommended Posts

What's the itinerary?  We've done a non-Princess/non-cruise related land tour there and have done multiple pre-cruise stays in Rome.  So would be happy to advise once I see the itinerary.  Or are you just interested in how Princess handles the pre-cruise tour?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Coral said:

...Is this what you booked (I know it is not a US site): https://www.princesscruises.se/en/cruise-tours/europe/classic-italy  

 

 

So effectively a day in Venice and Florence, day and a half in Rome - reads like a box-ticking exercise. Personally I'd pick one or two cities (me? Florence and Rome although we spent a week in Rome and still only really scratched the surface). Head over to TripAdvisor, work out what you want to do and see, take advantage of public transport, the fact that all three are pretty walkable and DIY-it...

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you never been to Italy, this would give you a taste of what's in Venice, Florence and Rome.  Then you might decide to fly to Europe sometime in the future and spend more time in one or more of those cities.  For example, we did a one-week tour of central Italy through my husband's professional association (we did several of these one-week tours in different parts of Europe)  We stayed a few nights in the northern spa town of Chianciano and from there had day trips to San Gimoignano, Florence, and Assisi.  Then spent a few nights in a spa town near Rome from whence we spent did several day trips into Rome.  It was a wonderful introduction to the country and since that land trip we've enjoyed our cruise stops in Genoa, Livorno, Naples and Civitavecchia (usually the start or end of a cruise, but once was a stop for those wanting to go to Rome).

Link to post
Share on other sites

We took the Classic Italy Cruise Tour in July, 2 nights in Venice, 2 nights in Florence and 2 nights in Rome.  We had a tour guide with us throughout the trip, and for the individual cities we had a local tour guide giving guided walks. We thought it was a wonderful way to see Italy before we boarded the ship.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, murdy said:

We took the Classic Italy Cruise Tour in July, 2 nights in Venice, 2 nights in Florence and 2 nights in Rome.  We had a tour guide with us throughout the trip, and for the individual cities we had a local tour guide giving guided walks. We thought it was a wonderful way to see Italy before we boarded the ship.

 

Perfect - could you tell what company the guide you had through out the trip worked for?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
On 8/4/2019 at 8:23 PM, Coral said:

Perfect - could you tell what company the guide you had through out the trip worked for?

We are considering the Classic Italy 6 Day Princess Cruisetour, as opposed to doing a Princess Med cruise, and spending two or three days in Rome prior to boarding ship on our own.  If anyone has taken this cruisetour, could you please tell us if you have time to actually go into Vatican City, actually tour and see the Sistine Chapel, as opposed to a drive-by.  Not being able to spend time in the Vatican St. Peter's Square/Museum area/Sistine Chapel would be a deal breaker.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StillGoinStrong said:

We are considering the Classic Italy 6 Day Princess Cruisetour, as opposed to doing a Princess Med cruise, and spending two or three days in Rome prior to boarding ship on our own.  If anyone has taken this cruisetour, could you please tell us if you have time to actually go into Vatican City, actually tour and see the Sistine Chapel, as opposed to a drive-by.  Not being able to spend time in the Vatican St. Peter's Square/Museum area/Sistine Chapel would be a deal breaker.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm confused:  one can't do a cruisetour without doing a cruise before or after.  In reading the description of the tour on Princess' website, it sounds like you would actually tour the Sistine Chapel, the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's Basilica.  You can't really "drive by" these places as they're arranged around St. Peter's Square.  We've been there several times and really enjoyed all it has to offer:  magnificent architecture and art work.  Even though we're not Catholic, we have watched Xmas Eve services broadcast from St. Peter's for many years so it was wonderful to see it in person.

Edited by BarbinMich
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2020
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...