Compare Star Princess with Carnival Miracle

CozGurl

Looking for some feedback on these two ships and ports for a Hawaiian sailing in 2021. Carnival is only $300 cheaper but it does go to an extra port - Kona. Carnival leaves from San Diego and Princess from Los Angeles. Any thoughts at all on which we might find more enjoyable as middle aged folks who like live music, good food and cocktails?

Looking at the ships it seems that Star Princess has many more pools, hot tubs and bars. We've never sailed Princess and while I know it is more of a luxury line than Carnival, it is that different? More kids on Carnival? Better food on Princess? 

Will there be much in the way of live entertainment on either ship?

Lots of upcharges for either line in the way of adults only areas etc? 

I'm also posting this on the Carnival board. Looking for any and all responses. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, CozGurl said:

Looking for some feedback on these two ships and ports for a Hawaiian sailing in 2021. Carnival is only $300 cheaper but it does go to an extra port - Kona. Carnival leaves from San Diego and Princess from Los Angeles. Any thoughts at all on which we might find more enjoyable as middle aged folks who like live music, good food and cocktails? The extra port is a point for Carnival.

Looking at the ships it seems that Star Princess has many more pools, hot tubs and bars. We've never sailed Princess and while I know it is more of a luxury line than Carnival, it is that different?  Others post that there aren't a lot of differences in "luxury".

Will there be much in the way of live entertainment on either ship? Hawaiian cruises on Princess are loaded with live entertainment. The usual stage shows, live bands in the bar/lounges, etc. PLUS the "Hawaiian Ambassadors" who do extra things, music, ukulele classes, hula classes, craft classes, lectures about Hawaii.

Lots of upcharges for either line in the way of adults only areas etc? 2 adult only areas with an upcharge on Princess: the spa and the sanctuary.

Never cruised on Carnival, so can't do a comparison, but above are my thoughts for Princess.

As far as food is concerned, I've never had trouble finding something that fits my tastes.

I sailed Carnival 20+ years ago (in my 20's). I have yet to return and it would take a good itinerary to get me back. I don't even look at their itineraries anymore.

I do prefer San Diego to LA.