Jump to content

San Diego Help please


Ricktan
 Share

Recommended Posts

I don’t know why but I’m having a hard time deciding on a hotel in San Diego. We end our cruise there and we are staying 2 nights. We have all day Sunday to fill (any suggestions are welcome) and then are doing a private tour at the Zoo on Monday. We love any kind of food! I would like to see some shops. And I want to stay within about 15/20 mins of the airport. Budget isn’t really a concern and we like nice hotels. Any suggestions? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Courtyard by Marriott Downtown San Diego is a unique property -- it's in an old bank building that has retained some of the bank's features.  It's close to the Gaslamp district with restaurants, etc. -- the neighborhood can be a little dodgy with homeless people but common sense will keep you safe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the Springhill Suites/Residence Inn right across the street from the pier.  Only about 1-2 years old, thus in great condtion.  Good free breakfast.  Many places within walking distance or short taxi ride (5 minutes to airport) - Little Italy, Midway aircraft carrier, Seaport Village shopping, downtown, Horton Plaza, ship museum and more within walking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with @57redbird regarding the Courtyard.  It was unique and beautiful.  I stayed there as a solo cruiser last year before embarking on a Pacific Coastal.  There were homeless people but I was safe enough where it wouldn’t stop me from staying there again.  The only other place I’ve stayed (multiple times) in SD is at the Marriott Hotel & Marina and that was nice but crowded.  The Concierge Lounge is crazy busy and their spa is not worth visiting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll go a different direction than the hotels next to the cruise terminal.  Look at the Kimpton Solamar (NOT the Palomar).  It's in the Gaslamp district.  3 miles from the airport, 3 miles from the Zoo.  1.5 miles from the cruise terminal.  Tons of good restaurants within walking distance.  It's a hip, upscale hotel, definitely not a cookie-cutter chain.  Kimpton hotels try to find buildings with good "bones" and turn them into hotels.  I've stayed at a bunch of them and have loved them all.   I've stayed at one that was an old bank building and one that is on the upper floors of an office complex.  You said you like nice hotels and aren't concerned with price.  A sample shows around $300/night.  If you sign up for IHG, you'll get free wifi. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have sailed from there before and stayed at the Best Western Bayside. It is walking distance to the pier, to the old battleships, the Gaslight district and much more. We are ending our next cruise in January there and will stay there again. Great breakfast buffet that is included. Airport shuttle and shuttle to and from the pier. Very nice hotel

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cabinluvn said:

We have sailed from there before and stayed at the Best Western Bayside. It is walking distance to the pier, to the old battleships, the Gaslight district and much more. We are ending our next cruise in January there and will stay there again. Great breakfast buffet that is included. Airport shuttle and shuttle to and from the pier. Very nice hotel

We have stayed here as well.  Staff friendly & helpful.  Breakfast buffet is good.  We enjoy Little Italy & also the Boardwalk and it’s within walking distance.  My criteria is it’s within walking distance to the Cheesecake Factory as we don’t have on where we live & love their Cobb salad & stuffed mushrooms!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have stayed many times at the Embassy Suites.  It is within walking distance of Seaport Village -- restaurants and small shops.

 

The hotel is also within walking distance of the Midway and the Fish Market restaurant right next to it.

 

The hotel is also within walking distance of Horton Plaza Mall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great hotel suggestions, so I will go in a different direction. Balboa Park contains more than the Zoo, though that is worth the visit.

 

The Park has the Spanish art center, museums and a beautiful botanical garden. There used to be people who offered two-hour walking tours of the park, but it has been years since I have been there. I believe it now has its own app.

 

When are you visiting? There maybe a special event going on while you are there, that you would enjoy.  The Old Town Trolley takes you all around the city, and over to Coronado Island. But San Diego is very walkable.

 

Enjoy yourself!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you'll need to do laundry after your trip, then opt for Springhill Suites/Residence Inn near the pier.  The two hotels back one another, I prefer the Springhill Suites myself.

 

The laundry facilities take credit cards.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Coronado Island.

 

Oh right Coronado!  Stayed there too.  It was nice over there.  Nice beach.  Was in the Starbucks one morning when a young lady walked by crying and eating a gallon tub of ice cream with a big spoon.  Everyone in Starbucks froze until she was out of sight.... then looked at each other in amazement and burst out laughing.  It was like something out of a movie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

We have stayed many times at the Embassy Suites.  It is within walking distance of Seaport Village -- restaurants and small shops.

 

The hotel is also within walking distance of the Midway and the Fish Market restaurant right next to it.

 

The hotel is also within walking distance of Horton Plaza Mall.

 

Horton Plaza is closed. There are only 2 stores left: Macy’s and Jimbos (organic supermarket). There is also a 24 Hour Fitness and post office. 

 

There are many hotels downtown, including 2 Westins, large Marriott and Hyatt. All are walkable to the Gaslamp district.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also look at the US Grant.  A classic old hotel.  Near Gaslamp.  Another more "hip" hotel is the Andaz, up the street a little more from the US Grant.  I'm trying to think a little outside the box for you, rather than the same old cruise favorites and big chains.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Yodalicious said:

If money is not a consideration, Hotel Del Coronado,  On Coronado island.    It is where they filmed Some like it Hot.  It is a beautiful old classic with gorgeous views.

 

 

I did consider this,.....my only concern is that since we won’t have a car will I find enough here to keep us busy? I will definitely go over for a visit but wasn’t sure about staying.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Also look at the US Grant.  A classic old hotel.  Near Gaslamp.  Another more "hip" hotel is the Andaz, up the street a little more from the US Grant.  I'm trying to think a little outside the box for you, rather than the same old cruise favorites and big chains.   

Thank you! Love being outside the box lol!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ricktan said:

I did consider this,.....my only concern is that since we won’t have a car will I find enough here to keep us busy? I will definitely go over for a visit but wasn’t sure about staying.  

The Del is a beautiful place, if budget allows.  You can use the Old Town Trolley to get around from the Del. Just check and see if you need to purchase online tickets first. If I remember correctly, tickets are only sold at certain stops.

 

This stops at Balboa Park, where the zoo is. But if you are going to use it for transportation, make sure you keep a schedule handy.

 

If you are on Coronado Island during the weekend, they do many local craft fairs during the weekend. And some have live music. There used to be locals who did a historic walking tour of Coronado. This is a few years back, but they might still do it.

 

Enjoy yourself. I will be back late this Fall and am really looking forward to the visit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Ricktan said:

I did consider this,.....my only concern is that since we won’t have a car will I find enough here to keep us busy? I will definitely go over for a visit but wasn’t sure about staying.  

 

Lots of shops on Coronado! Much nicer area to stay than the mainland. (IMO) With the HOHO bus to get you around you can’t go wrong.  You can also take the ferry to SD instead of the bus.  Here is a helpful link:

 

Coronado Visitor Center

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

 

Lots of shops on Coronado! Much nicer area to stay than the mainland. (IMO) With the HOHO bus to get you around you can’t go wrong.  You can also take the ferry to SD instead of the bus.  Here is a helpful link:

 

Coronado Visitor Center

@*Miss G*

 

I forgot about the ferry. That is a fun way to get back & forth - if time allows. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

 

Horton Plaza is closed. There are only 2 stores left: Macy’s and Jimbos (organic supermarket). There is also a 24 Hour Fitness and post office. 

 

There are many hotels downtown, including 2 Westins, large Marriott and Hyatt. All are walkable to the Gaslamp district.

I heard from a VERY GOOD source that Horton Plaza is under new ownership and is planning on a major redevelopment.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I heard from a VERY GOOD source that Horton Plaza is under new ownership and is planning on a major redevelopment.

 

Yes, the renovation is expected to take over 1.5 years - probably more. I went to a presentation about it a few weeks ago. It will NOT be a mall with major shopping. It will be office space with "some" stores - mostly catering to the offices. They expect more service type stores, like dry cleaners, Postal Annex, Kinko, etc. They haven't announced any tenants yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's Go Time
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...