GEM from Boston questions

Sand and Seas

Just a couple of questions for recent Gem/Boston cruisers.  If you can answer any one of them I would appreciate it!

1-   Are you able to book a reservation at Orchid Garden (Complimentary Asian restaurant) once you are on board?

2-   How was embarkation and what time did you arrive?

3-   Was there a specific waiting area for Platinum/Plat Plus/Ambassador cruisers at the Port?

4-   Do you know which nights the shows Blazing Boots and Swing were in the theater?

5-  Any other tips for this ship?   (It's been years since we sailed on her)

Thanks!

We've sailed on the Gem three times (fourth coming up) and really enjoy her, obviously.  Except for a few appetizers, we've found the Orchard Garden to be very disappointing.  YMMV of course.  (And perhaps it's improved since we last sailed on the Gem a few years ago.)

Don't miss the Bridge Viewing Room on the port side, Deck 11.  And as you might remember, the Spinnaker Lounge and the Great Outdoors are wonderful public spaces.

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

I can only answer #2 and 3.   Don’t know if it’s a special area for Platinum but you should get a lower boarding pass.    There is also separate checkin line which was very fast compared to other line.    We were onboard before noon and think we arrived around 10:30 and were ushered in

• Like 1

We did not arrive until around 12:45 pm, there was no line downstairs, and once we got to security upstairs there were only a couple of people in front of us.  We had lunch in the Grand Pacific dining room and were there before 1:30pm when they close to letting people in for lunch.  

Yes we found it easy to make reservations for Orchid Garden once we were on board.

There is a special waiting area for Platinum and above with a continental breakfast.  We are Platinum and there was no one in line when we arrive to check in, and we boarded right away.  

The Swing show was the second night of the cruise, Blazing Boots was one of the sea days on the way back to Boston, I think it was the last night I am not sure.  We enjoyed them all.  

This was our first time on the Gem, we really enjoyed it.  The food in La Cuchina was just OK, not really great, service very slow.  It is easy to get fabulous Italian food in the Boston area, and incredible pizza, so there is a high bar set for an Italian restaurant.  

The crew was excellent, and welcoming.  The food and service in the main dining room, all the restaurants really was outstanding.   We had no problems.  

We are booked for next year.  

• Like 1

Thanks for all these helpful answers! 

I had forgotten about the Spinnaker lounge.  We have been on the large ships lately except for the Dawn and it doesn't have the Spinnaker.     Also looking forward to the Great Outdoors😎

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Thanks for all these helpful answers! 

I had forgotten about the Spinnaker lounge.  We have been on the large ships lately except for the Dawn and it doesn't have the Spinnaker.     Also looking forward to the Great Outdoors😎

On the DAWN the Spinnaker on deck 7 aft was renamed the Bliss Lounge

and very most sadly no outdoor - Great Outdoors venue.

When returning to Boston, try to be on the upper decks around 4pm Thursday.  If you haven't had any delays or emergencies then you will be entering Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary. This is the prime area that Massachusetts based whale watching companies go...  There is a very very high chance you will see all sorts of whales, dolphins, sharks etc   

14 hours ago, esm54687 said:

When returning to Boston, try to be on the upper decks around 4pm Thursday.  If you haven't had any delays or emergencies then you will be entering Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary. This is the prime area that Massachusetts based whale watching companies go...  There is a very very high chance you will see all sorts of whales, dolphins, sharks etc   

Wow!  That is definitely something worth watching for.   

Thanks for the tip😊

18 hours ago, esm54687 said:

Do you know if this is the same for one ways from Quebec to Boston? My partner will be so excited about this.

10 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

Do you know if this is the same for one ways from Quebec to Boston? My partner will be so excited about this.

I'm not 100% sure how north the sanctuary extends and how far out the ship stays before turning west to enter Boston..... you definitely should attend the CC M&G and that would be a fantastic question.   One sure fire way to know you've entered the sanctuary is the ship (all other ships) come to a crawl because of the whale activity.

I do know that whale watching trips from Cape Ann (Beverly, Rockport, etc) all go to the sanctuary so there's an above average chance you will see something. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, esm54687 said:

Great tip thanks !!   I have noticed right after dinner you can see lighthouses, Nantucket and the Cape.