taking a walk on deck

My husband and I will be sailing on the Royal for the first time in October.  We like to stroll around the outside deck.  I've been looking at the deck plan and it looks as if the only place to go is deck 18, the sports deck.  On other ships we have always just taken a stroll on the Promenade Deck.  For anyone that has taken a cruise on the Royal what do you think our options are?  

My husband and I will be sailing on the Royal for the first time in October.  We like to stroll around the outside deck.  I've been looking at the deck plan and it looks as if the only place to go is deck 18, the sports deck.  On other ships we have always just taken a stroll on the Promenade Deck.  For anyone that has taken a cruise on the Royal what do you think our options are?  

3 minutes ago, tcworld said:

Your options are deck 18 around the walking/running track. You can also walk in a "U" on deck 17. That is it.

There is no walking promenade on the Royal Princess and all other Royal Class ships.

12 minutes ago, tcworld said:

Thanks for the info.  It is nice to hear from experience.  On the deck plan it doesn't look like there is an elevator that goes to Deck 18 so I think Deck 17 will just have to do.  

Trina, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a platform lift up to deck 18 when we were on the Royal in May. 

42 minutes ago, tcworld said:

Thanks for the info.  It is nice to hear from experience.  On the deck plan it doesn't look like there is an elevator that goes to Deck 18 so I think Deck 17 will just have to do.  

There is an ADA lift to Deck 18, but on Royal's sister ship Regal it was out of service the whole two weeks of our T/A a few months back.

There is a school of thought developing in cruise ship design to minimize or exclude the chance of pax falling in the water.  Exit, promenades.

Royal and Regal don't have the normal promenade deck like most others. It's kind of funky. You can go outside on deck 7 but it's only a small piece of deck. As other said, you have to go up to walk around. 

The promenades don't produce any revenue per square foot, so they are disappearing on the new floating amusement parks called cruise ships nowadays.  We've cruised on a couple of the newer, bigger ships just for the experience, but figured out we can get the same experience at the local county fair.  We cruise to be on and experience the ocean.  We no longer book ships without a full promenade.  That's a deal breaker for us now.  And with Princess removing the barrel chairs from the standard balcony cabin, that's another deal breaker.

There is something for everyone - for us our must haves are a promenade that goes all the way around the ship and a chair or a small sofa in the cabin.  

So sad that the traditional walking prom decks are rapidly disappearing or becoming so narrow that it is tough for two people to pass in many places.  

The upper walking deck on the Royal is not even close... it is completely open to the elements and is very often CLOSED due to winds, rain, etc.  It is also so far above the waterline that the ocean is far away assuming you can see it through the often dirty plexiglass.  If you like walking around in small circles (8 laps for a mile) and being blown around,  having little or no cover from the elements then the Royal walking deck is for you.

Not to mention that many of the new "prom decks" don't even have a chair to sit and look at the ocean up close.

Pitiful that in a ship as big as Royal that a prom deck loses out to the idea of extra square footage for yet more shops.   When looking to choose a ship/cruise a proper prom deck is still high on the list for many many people.

Darn! I didn't realize the Royal didn't have a promenade deck. My cruise in October will be my first time on her. I love taking walks in the morning and evening and hanging out with a book and a drink. 

I'm excited for this ship but now a little bummed out. ☹️

My favorite thing on a ship is walking laps outside, so I wasn't sure how well I'd like the Royal when we recently did a cruise on her. I found that laps on the walking/running deck on 18 suited me just fine. As others have said, it's open to the elements, but that was fine too.

32 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Darn! I didn't realize the Royal didn't have a promenade deck. My cruise in October will be my first time on her. I love taking walks in the morning and evening and hanging out with a book and a drink. 

While you aren't able to get laps in, there are still sections open for sitting. My profile picture is actually from deck 7 on the Royal.

34 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

My favorite thing on a ship is walking laps outside, so I wasn't sure how well I'd like the Royal when we recently did a cruise on her. I found that laps on the walking/running deck on 18 suited me just fine. As others have said, it's open to the elements, but that was fine too.

About the only decent place to sit in a teak chair and be able to see the ocean without having to look through often dirty plexiglass are two small areas on each side of the stern of deck 7 where there are about ten or so teak deck chairs...a bit hidden away and a pleasant place for a book a drink and a sunset view.

Promenade decks were not created for walking - they were created to facilitate loading the life boats (hence being called "Boat Deck" on some non-Princess ships). But since they're not needed for loading lifeboats 99.999999% of the time, ship owners realized they could be used as additional public space when they aren't abandoning ship.

With the Royal-class ships, the method of hanging and loading the lifeboats has changed. So a full promenade is not needed or appropriate to that change (the boats sit lower so now the obstructed view cabins on Emerald deck are far less obstructed than on older ships - on the older ships, we walked under the boats; now they sit almost at the level of the promenade deck so you can't walk under them).

While I too regret the lack of a full promenade on the Royal-class ships, the engineer in me recognizes that their primary purpose was "ship's space" but were used as public space when not needed as ship's space. And since they're no longer needed as ship's space, we no longer have them as public space either.

HAL ships still have traditional promenade decks.  While we have done 31 cruises on Princess, we occasionally have sailed on other lines because they offered an itinerary that Princess didn't.  We've done 11 on Celebrity (line we started with), 8 on HAL, and 1 on Carnival.

On 8/4/2019 at 10:29 AM, tonit964 said:

There's always the Outrigger bar at the rear of the ship on deck 15 that has comfortable chairs. There seldom overcrowded. 

On 8/4/2019 at 9:29 AM, tonit964 said:

Hubs and I both love to walk outside on cruises and we did miss the promenade deck.  There are 4 separate (unattached) outside areas on Deck 7 but for seating and not really walking. The Island has been forced to give up part of the promenade to accommodate cabins and use the deck as balconies!  😞  As others said, that is a revenue thing.  But the Royal is a LOVELY ship and you can sill walk.  Hubs usually walks on Deck 18 and I do the U-shaped walk on 17.  The only problem to that is if it's a busy ship and a pretty day there are lots of bodies to walk around and/or avoid on 17.  There is a covered area on one side (may be Starboard) that has deck chairs and I like to sit there and people watch.  It's right outside the gym.   Also on Deck 16 you can walk a circle around the pool and there are the sea walk/sea view areas that are unique to the Royal class ship.   You will still enjoy the Royal!  The HC buffet is a big improvement over older HC's too!  

Edited by RRFan
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:36 AM, LawDog61 said:

Walking does not produce revenue.

Maybe it does.  Not only do I walk outside but inside as well.

Well earned cocktail in the evening is enjoyed after a nice workout.

We were on the Royal last April and I was excited to experience the new ship.

There were a ton of new shops to spend money on which I did not. 

We were scooted off of Deck 7 when it was closed off for a tour. We did not know. It was very awkward.

I missed the aft pool too. Not a money maker either? I so loved that area. Understand that was added to the Regal.

I was not impressed and both of us agreed that we most likely will not be on her again.

I had no idea that there was not a Promenade deck to walk on. Had I'd known, I most likely would of chosen

a different ship to sail on. Maybe.

The Royal has lost revenue from us. Its bottom of the list.