Jump to content

taking a walk on deck


Recommended Posts

On 8/4/2019 at 7:33 AM, SargassoPirate said:

The promenades don't produce any revenue per square foot, so they are disappearing on the new floating amusement parks

 

Here is an example of a cruise line that figured out how to combine a Promenade with revenue.  Is it a perfect Promenade? No. Is it way better than what the Royal Class ships have?  Oh yeah!

 

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

There's always the Outrigger bar at the rear of the ship on deck 15 that has comfortable chairs. There seldom overcrowded. 

 

Quick correction. Outrigger is on Deck 16.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RRFan said:

Hubs and I both love to walk outside on cruises and we did miss the promenade deck.  There are 4 separate (unattached) outside areas on Deck 7 but for seating and not really walking. The Island has been forced to give up part of the promenade to accommodate cabins and use the deck as balconies!  😞  As others said, that is a revenue thing.  But the Royal is a LOVELY ship and you can sill walk.  Hubs usually walks on Deck 18 and I do the U-shaped walk on 17.  The only problem to that is if it's a busy ship and a pretty day there are lots of bodies to walk around and/or avoid on 17.  There is a covered area on one side (may be Starboard) that has deck chairs and I like to sit there and people watch.  It's right outside the gym.   Also on Deck 16 you can walk a circle around the pool and there are the sea walk/sea view areas that are unique to the Royal class ship.   You will still enjoy the Royal!  The HC buffet is a big improvement over older HC's too!  

Thanks for all of that information. I really am excited about this ship. We have a premium aft balcony which we love. It's just something I'll be missing, that's all.😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

 

Here is an example of a cruise line that figured out how to combine a Promenade with revenue.  Is it a perfect Promenade? No. Is it way better than what the Royal Class ships have?  Oh yeah!

 

 

Quick correction. Outrigger is on Deck 16.

 

I was on the Escape and the Bliss and the Waterfront is just fabulous! All the nice comfy places to sit along with the outside seating of the restaurants, genious.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We spent 7 weeks on the Royal earlier this year and walked sometimes two miles on deck 18.

Seven times around equals one mile

The outer lane is for runners and the inner lane is for walkers.

Loved the ship and will return again

 

Howard

IMG_3190.JPG

IMG_3191.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hm9912 said:

We spent 7 weeks on the Royal earlier this year and walked sometimes two miles on deck 18.

Seven times around equals one mile

The outer lane is for runners and the inner lane is for walkers.

Loved the ship and will return again

 

Howard

 

IMG_3191.JPG

Although that lower section doesn't provide a true promenade it's still a nice alternative for viewing the water. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2019 at 6:50 PM, tcworld said:

My husband and I will be sailing on the Royal for the first time in October.  We like to stroll around the outside deck.  I've been looking at the deck plan and it looks as if the only place to go is deck 18, the sports deck.  On other ships we have always just taken a stroll on the Promenade Deck.  For anyone that has taken a cruise on the Royal what do you think our options are?  

 

If you and your husband like to "stroll" on deck, then you will have a lane to stroll on deck 18. The joggers will have a separate lane and you will not have to move out of their way as you would on the promenade. If you are a relax and read a book person, there are full teak loungers on the promenade deck aft, on both sides of the ship. All of this is weather permitting.

 

There are no perfect ships in the cruise industry. Each ship is built to please as many cruisers as possible and make as much money as possible. The industry knows what features the majority of cruisers utilize and tries to incorporate the features in their design. Some things one might enjoy and declare a must, might have  little or no value to another. Thats why it is important to research the cruise line and it's ships before booking.

 

There are so many choices of ships and cruises to make to achieve the cruise best suited to your needs. You can meet all or most of your requirements and have a super cruise. Just do your research.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Mom33 said:

 

If you and your husband like to "stroll" on deck, then you will have a lane to stroll on deck 18. The joggers will have a separate lane and you will not have to move out of their way as you would on the promenade. If you are a relax and read a book person, there are full teak loungers on the promenade deck aft, on both sides of the ship. All of this is weather permitting.

 

There are no perfect ships in the cruise industry. Each ship is built to please as many cruisers as possible and make as much money as possible. The industry knows what features the majority of cruisers utilize and tries to incorporate the features in their design. Some things one might enjoy and declare a must, might have  little or no value to another. Thats why it is important to research the cruise line and it's ships before booking.

 

There are so many choices of ships and cruises to make to achieve the cruise best suited to your needs. You can meet all or most of your requirements and have a super cruise. Just do your research.

 

 

I agree there are no perfect ships out there that suit everyone.  I personally prefer the smaller ships.  My husband on the other hand likes to try new things.  Go figure!  I always have a good time no matter what the ship size.  Over the many years that I have been in a wheelchair I have learned to go with the flow.   Hey, I can't complain.  My bed is made for me everyday, my meals are cooked and we have great scenery.  I just like to know what I can expect before I get on board.  It helps me get more excited for the adventure.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hm9912 said:

We spent 7 weeks on the Royal earlier this year and walked sometimes two miles on deck 18.

Seven times around equals one mile

The outer lane is for runners and the inner lane is for walkers.

Loved the ship and will return again

 

Howard

IMG_3190.JPG

IMG_3191.JPG

Thanks for the great pictures.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tcworld said:

I agree there are no perfect ships out there that suit everyone.  I personally prefer the smaller ships.  My husband on the other hand likes to try new things.  Go figure!  I always have a good time no matter what the ship size.  Over the many years that I have been in a wheelchair I have learned to go with the flow.   Hey, I can't complain.  My bed is made for me everyday, my meals are cooked and we have great scenery.  I just like to know what I can expect before I get on board.  It helps me get more excited for the adventure.    

 

I wish you a wonderful cruise. 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...