Cruise Critic Community
phil-mcc

A Wee Scottish Dilemma

Hi All 👋

My wife and I are just about to pop our cruising cherry at the ripe old age of 45.

Rapidly approaching date of departure of 14th Aug for the 10 day RT to Alaska from SF on the Grand.

Firstly a thanks to all who contribute on these boards as without them I'd still have hundreds of questions in my head, they've all been answered by reading on here, even loads of questions i didn't know i needed to ask, so Thank you all.

I still have one though.........

Do I bring my Kilt for the formal nights?

I have no issues with luggage allowance so this isn't a concern, my concern is more of a "will I be overdressed ?". From reading posts on here I gather Alaska cruises may be a but more informal than other destinations, is that a fair assumption?

To Kilt or not to Kilt.

Thanks

Philip.

1 minute ago, phil-mcc said:

Hi All 👋

My wife and I are just about to pop our cruising cherry at the ripe old age of 45.

Rapidly approaching date of departure of 14th Aug for the 10 day RT to Alaska from SF on the Grand.

Firstly a thanks to all who contribute on these boards as without them I'd still have hundreds of questions in my head, they've all been answered by reading on here, even loads of questions i didn't know i needed to ask, so Thank you all.

I have no issues with luggage allowance so this isn't a concern, my concern is more of a "will I be overdressed ?". From reading posts on here I gather Alaska cruises may be a but more informal than other destinations, is that a fair assumption?

To Kilt or not to Kilt.

Thanks

Philip.

On each of my cruises, I saw a gentleman dressed in his kilt.  I vote YES!  Many years ago I married a man from Edinburgh, who of course had his own kilt.  You will not be overdressed, and will get many approving looks I'll bet.

alaska is no different than any other cruise. People pray and hope it is so they don't have to dress up. They also say is reall cold in Alaska so dressing formally might be too hot, I love the kilts.Thank you.

Bring the Kilt!

We have seen them on almost everyone of our 70 Princess cruises and then some.

Another vote for bringing your kilt. On our cruises, there has usually been a gentleman wearing a kilt.

You may have a problem with ladies es following you around the ship. 

Men in tuxes and men in kilts are gorgeous 😍

I agree that there's nothing more pleasing than a 'kilted' gentleman.  My husband no longer brings his as on recent HAL, Princess and Celebrity cruises he felt quite self conscious.  We have early traditional dining on all lines which often seems to have fewer in really formal dress -- tuxes in particular. 

Yes, his effort was always appreciated.  The best comment from one of cabin stewards was, "Nice dress sir!"  

We've found more kilted gentlemen on the New England cruises. 

He's a proud Scot whose family has lived in the colonies since the mid 1800s.  And our granddaughter's dance troop danced for the Queen at Balmoral last summer.  So it's in the blood.

21 minutes ago, KreinKrunker said:

Kilt!

Have even seen them worn in the Caribbean. YES!

Kilt?  Yes

Sgian-dubh?  Alas, nay, no, never!

2 minutes ago, Been There, Planning That said:

Bob has a rubber one he'd bought for a young grandson for a wedding.  It passes for real from a distance.

Alas...

Prohibited Items:

All imitation or replica weapons including de-commissioned weapons, those not capable of being fired and realistic imitation/toy weapons.

-- https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Heck Yes, even the bagpipes if you play them will be a hit.  We've been entertained with bagpipes at Crooners.  The crowd went crazy.

We are elite on Princess, have seen many a man in a kilt on Princess and other lines... always a treat.  Of course, I am Scotish background.. maiden name Stuart/, enjoy your cruise.  By the way we love going on the Grand... live near SF.

It's a "Wee" problem?

Begs the question:  "What is worn under the kilt?"

😉

Definitely wear the kilt proudly!  It is formal wear.   And expect appreciative stares from envious men and wistful women who wonder what's beneath.

3 hours ago, phil-mcc said:

Hi All 👋

To Kilt or not to Kilt.

Thanks

Philip.

Yes.  Wear it.  But your bits  might get cold in Alaska.  😄

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being of Scottish decent (Douglass) I love seeing a gentleman in his Kilt. Never worry about being over dressed always wear with pride.

Enjoy your cruise.

Well, think that was a resounding yes. 

Kilt it is then 

Many thanks for all the helpful comments (even their cheeky ones 😏) they're really appreciated 

Bring the kilt! I always enjoy formal night, and especially enjoy those in kilts as you see that pride in ones heritage.