Cruise Critic Community
DaisyRose

Restaurants & Menus in Budapest and Prague

Hello,

We have a few days pre and post cruise in Budapest and Prague.  We want to experience local foods.  I am looking for restaurant recommendations, but even more important, I am wondering if menus are also written in English; otherwise, how would I be able to order?  Any recommendations for restaurants and dishes would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

22 hours ago, DaisyRose said:

Hello,

We have a few days pre and post cruise in Budapest and Prague.  We want to experience local foods.  I am looking for restaurant recommendations, but even more important, I am wondering if menus are also written in English; otherwise, how would I be able to order?  Any recommendations for restaurants and dishes would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

We were in Budapest on our Christmas cruise and ate at this place.Lajos kiraly etterm in District 14. Family place,a family group was having their Christmas party complete with Santa Claus! 

It is about a block away from a subway stop.

Nothing touristy about this place.Food was great!

Thanks 14thmed.  Wondering if the menus were also written in English?

All of the restaurants at which we dined in Budapest had menus in both Hungarian and English. Same with Prague.

I suspect you would only have problems with no English menus if you stray far afield from the city centers (the burbs) where, usually, only locals dine & English is not widely spoken.

Every restaurant and bar we went to in Budapest had menus and staff that spoke excellent English.   The local bubbles are delicious and cheap!

5148FEFA-9758-4A63-90FB-0678C5D448D5.jpeg

Both restaurants we visited in Prague had menus in English.  Food was very good, and seemed authentic; but then, how would we know?  The Gate, just down the street from the Prague Hilton, and La Republica, toward the town square from the hotel, were both spots recommended by the Viking staff.  Warning: don't order the pork knuckle at La Republica unless you are a very hungry eater and ready for about 3 pounds of pork.  All of us at the table sampled it, and we laughed so hard at the look on our poor friend's face when she got her plate, that I am sure the rest of the restaurant was wondering just how much beer we had already had!

Thanks everyone.  I'm happy to hear that the menus are also in English, that is a big help.  Thanks also for the restaurant suggestions.  We will be at the Hilton with Viking, so it sounds like those two restaurants are good possibilities for us.

Hi Daisy Rose-

We really enjoyed Kuchyn in Prague (it is located in the Prague Castle) and Pest-Buda Bistro in Budapest (right next to the Castle Hill Hilton). At Kuchyn they have an open kitchen and show you each entree and the sides. You tell them what you would like. You are welcome to extra helpings or to try different things. This was a lot of fun. The food was excellent and the price was very reasonable. The menu is in Hungarian and English at Pest-Buda Bistro. The food was delicious and the service very friendly. Excellent accordion player. 

We also did a food tour in Prague in lieu of dinner that was a lot of fun.

Enjoy your trip!

On 8/7/2019 at 10:17 PM, Afloat said:

Hi Daisy Rose-

We really enjoyed Kuchyn in Prague (it is located in the Prague Castle) and Pest-Buda Bistro in Budapest (right next to the Castle Hill Hilton). At Kuchyn they have an open kitchen and show you each entree and the sides. You tell them what you would like. You are welcome to extra helpings or to try different things. This was a lot of fun. The food was excellent and the price was very reasonable. The menu is in Hungarian and English at Pest-Buda Bistro. The food was delicious and the service very friendly. Excellent accordion player. 

We also did a food tour in Prague in lieu of dinner that was a lot of fun.

Enjoy your trip!

Hi Afloat - Did you happen to do the Prague Evening Food Tour with Eating Europe?  We have that tour booked next month.  We have done their tours in Rome and London as well and loved them.  I have high hopes! 

Thanks for more interesting restaurant suggestions.  I appreciate it.  Only 3 days now until we leave!

I would highly recommend Café Kor in Budapest...  One of our favourite restaurants.  It is frequented by the locals, and one of our cruise directors (who was from Budapest) -  said she always goes there when she goes home.  She said it reminds her of her Grandmother's cooking.

But - it isn't open on Sundays, only takes cash - and you most likely need a reservation.  It is on the Pest side - not far (ie: very walkable) from the Chain Bridge.   When we have gone, I have contacted the hotel where I am staying (before I go) and ask them to make reservations for us.  You don't always have a waiter that is fluent in English - but they are willing to try.  And, the menu is in English (as well as the daily specials written on a large piece of brown paper hanging on the wall... they cross the special off when/if it is sold out).

Enjoy!!

Fran

On 8/14/2019 at 1:11 PM, franski said:

I would highly recommend Café Kor in Budapest...  One of our favourite restaurants.  It is frequented by the locals, and one of our cruise directors (who was from Budapest) -  said she always goes there when she goes home.  She said it reminds her of her Grandmother's cooking.

Thanks for the recommendation on Cafe Kor.  I searched for their menu online but could only find the daily special sheet on FB.  Can you suggest any particularly good items on their regular menu?  Is there anything that falls into the "don't miss" category? 

11 hours ago, MightyQuinn said:

Thanks for the recommendation on Cafe Kor.  I searched for their menu online but could only find the daily special sheet on FB.  Can you suggest any particularly good items on their regular menu?  Is there anything that falls into the "don't miss" category? 

I remember having the schnitzel... and it was great.  Lots of appetizing food being delivered around us.   There are some reviews on Trip Advisor that have pictures.

I do remember having dessert there once... home made beignets (donuts), served warm with apricot sauce.  Awesome!!

Fran

Thanks franski.  I read many Trip Advisor reviews and concluded there's no bad choice at Cafe Kor.  It sounds like our kind of place and we're looking forward to eating there when we're in Budapest next month.  I also noticed that a TA poster mentioned that the restaurant accepts AMEX, which seemed odd since other reviews said it was cash only.  So I emailed Cafe Kor and got the following reply: We take cash / Forint, Euro, Dollar/ or American Express cards only.  We'll test that soon!  Thanks again.

On 8/14/2019 at 4:11 PM, franski said:

But - it isn't open on Sundays, only takes cash - and you most likely need a reservation.  It is on the Pest side - not far (ie: very walkable) from the Chain Bridge.   When we have gone, I have contacted the hotel where I am staying (before I go) and ask them to make reservations for us.  You don't always have a waiter that is fluent in English - but they are willing to try.  And, the menu is in English (as well as the daily specials written on a large piece of brown paper hanging on the wall... they cross the special off when/if it is sold out).

Enjoy!!

Fran

+1

On 8/14/2019 at 2:11 PM, franski said:

Concur - delicious Hungarian fare.