Cruise Critic Community
$luvr

Viking How long is Normandy visit?

How long does the Viking Paris Seine River Tour tour stay at the Normandy beaches, cemetery, memorial?  How many beaches do you visit?  Are you rushed?

Call Viking and ask....I do know you will spend alot of time on busses....They really cannot get very close....What I suggest is to fly in early to Paris, take the train and stay 2 nights in Bayeaux or Honfleur and spend at least 2 days doing Normandy....it cannot even be touched in a day, especially if you think you may never go back!!  Then when the ship stops in the port and everyone goes to a short Normandy trip, there are other things you can do.

Posted (edited)

Actually it was a 14+ hour day. We did have some bus time. Viking offers 2 tours.  American and Commonwealth. The Commonwealth tour goes to see the Bayeux tapestry and then visits WWii sites including Gold beach and the Commonwealth cemetery. The American tour focuses exclusively on WWII sites. Arromanches, Omaha and Juno beaches and the American cemetery. I did not feel rushed at any of the sites. Our guide was excellent and it was quite a moving experience. 

We happened to be there on All Saints Day and I was quite touched to see many, mostly elderly, French women bringing baskets of roses from their gardens to decorate the graves. I sat on the wall overlooking the beach and watched a young family walking nearby in the cemetery. They stopped near me and their 5-6 year old son wanted to know why so many Americans were buried here. His father explained that the Americans came and died there trying to make sure France was free during “the war with Germany”. The son asked “Who won that war?”,  His mother quickly asked him what language he was speaking. He looked a little puzzled and said “Well French of course!” Then she asked him his nationality. Still confused he said “I am a French boy”. Then his mother turned him around to face the rows of graves and said “Then you must always be grateful to these Americans, because if they had not come you would be speaking German and there would be no young French boys today, only German boys.  I want you to always remember that”.  

My french is far from perfect but her words moved me. 

Edited by mhb1757

2 hours ago, mhb1757 said:

Actually it was a 14+ hour day. We did have some bus time. Viking offers 2 tours.  American and Commonwealth. The Commonwealth tour goes to see the Bayeux tapestry and then visits WWii sites including Gold beach and the Commonwealth cemetery. The American tour focuses exclusively on WWII sites. Arromanches, Omaha and Juno beaches and the American cemetery. I did not feel rushed at any of the sites. Our guide was excellent and it was quite a moving experience. 

We happened to be there on All Saints Day and I was quite touched to see many, mostly elderly, French women bringing baskets of roses from their gardens to decorate the graves. I sat on the wall overlooking the beach and watched a young family walking nearby in the cemetery. They stopped near me and their 5-6 year old son wanted to know why so many Americans were buried here. His father explained that the Americans came and died there trying to make sure France was free during “the war with Germany”. The son asked “Who won that war?”,  His mother quickly asked him what language he was speaking. He looked a little puzzled and said “Well French of course!” Then she asked him his nationality. Still confused he said “I am a French boy”. Then his mother turned him around to face the rows of graves and said “Then you must always be grateful to these Americans, because if they had not come you would be speaking German and there would be no young French boys today, only German boys.  I want you to always remember that”.  

This is so touching!  Thank you.

Visiting Normandy was the highlight of our Paris to Normandy Viking river cruise.  My husband's father was a Pearl Harbor survivor, and so my husband is interested in all aspects of WWII.  Our visit to the American Cemetery was very moving.  First, they recognized the veterans from among the passengers, and gave them a rose.  We then sang the 'Star Spangled Banner', or tried to thru our tears.  We were then given roses to place on the graves in the cemetery.  We first though to find graves of those from our home state of Ohio, but when we came across a grave that was marked "Known but to God", we knew this marker deserved our rose.  

We then went to Omaha Beach and had some time on the beach.  It was a very sunny day,  and warm, but it was windy on that large expanse of beach and the wind was whipping the sand around.  It wasn't difficult to imagine those poor boys trying to struggle thru the water and then across that beach, carrying their heavy armaments, wondering if the next moment would be their last.  

It was a very somber day, but so memorable.

Becki

On 8/6/2019 at 7:07 PM, mhb1757 said:

We're just back from a Viking Seine trip in July and it was a long, powerful day (and the time spent on the bus was actually quite restful!). Also, a nice surprise: The bus is equipped with WiFi and power outlets for charging devices!