Cruise Critic Community
ricka47

Terrace Cafe for Dinner?

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Wine service can be very very slow in the Terrace  as stated above. It can also be non existent. Those are the two options.

Hi Pinot - I'm trying to plan some "future strategies" before my first O cruise.  Since you and some others have mentioned the slow/non-existent wine service in Terrace Grill, would that be a good venue for us to plan on bringing our own bottle/s with us, and pay the corkage fee?  Regards.

4 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

Hi Pinot - I'm trying to plan some "future strategies" before my first O cruise.  Since you and some others have mentioned the slow/non-existent wine service in Terrace Grill, would that be a good venue for us to plan on bringing our own bottle/s with us, and pay the corkage fee?  Regards.

Ping pong;

Tough question to answer. Theoretically it would seem the answer should be yes. However, non existent service means no service. They might never make it to your table to open the wine or bring you the wine glasses! If you can just get that far you’ll be in Luck. No guarantees of even that.

Best option is just to bring your wine, beer, or drink in from another bar. 

49 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

No guarantees of even that.

I'm surprised this hasn't been dealt with since everyone seems to make the comment.

9 minutes ago, clo said:

I'm surprised this hasn't been dealt with since everyone seems to make the comment.

Actually some of us believe it might be by design. I do think there are less drink servers than there used to be before the packages. 

We really like sitting outside on the Terrace if the weather is nice, or there is something nice to look at, or even sometimes if there's nothing nice to look at - just port activity, or a lighthouse or cruise ship or whatever!  For certain places (Venice, Kotor, San Francisco, NYC, Malta, Lisbon come to mind) we eat there so we don't miss good scenery.  If it's a little cool, we just sit against the back wall - still get the view but not the wind.

You can make your experience a little more varied by eating outside on the Terrace one time, then inside next time.  My husband absolutely loves the Terrace, but I like variety as well.  Therefore, I try to alternate where I eat, for example, one day eating breakfast in the room, lunch at Waves and then the Terrace for dinner. 

Occasionally on nice days Oceania will have a special dinner or lunch or whatever cooked and served on the Terrace, in the back - maybe a seafood day or pasta day. 

Sorry if any of this has already been mentioned.  I only read the first couple responses.

January 2019 on Insignia and March 2019 on Marina, we found that the bar/wine staff were a bit thinly spread in Terrace, but if you develop a "regular" table or area they may find you a bit more quickly. 

For dinner at Terrace, we would show up & settle into a table, wait for/catch eye of beverage person, order our wine, and then go get food - still less leisurely than GDR timing, but not quite "quick serve" fast lol.

January 2019 riveria we had no issues with wine or drinks for relatively early dining...7ish on the terrace.

On 8/4/2019 at 7:56 AM, Andee said:

We eat there very occasionally on a cruise when we don't have time for one of the sit-down dining rooms. Standing in multiple lines doesn't appeal to us.

Thete are times when I couldn't get anything from the grill because there were 15 people waiting in line.

If you show up an hour before closing around 7:45-8:00    There is lots of tables,  and they bring out even  better stuff  and thats the time the ships officers show up to dine...        Maybe 1 person ahead of you.     

What, to me is wonderful about the Terrace is that you can create a wonderful almost dim-sum type dining experience where you are  the chef de cuisine and can create meals unique to you. 

I love cooking and also fine cuisine ....the Terrace is perfect.   

I like to connect with the line cooks too and in doing so get them to tweek  things  ..... they  can work magic.     By and large they  will have available most things from all the restaurants  or can get it   

I will eat  in the terrace about 60-70% of the time because of the constant variety and variation.  It aint the Mass market  golden corral or Lubys  of the sea.....

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

I like to connect with the line cooks too

Agree.  Once they figure out that you know a little they want to work with you.  They know that you appreciate it.  We were at a wonderful place in Budapest where we had divine foie gras.  So good we decided to have more for dessert 🙂  The chef loved that so much that he made little purees of various fruits for a special dish just for us. 🙂

$

Oops, let's try that again.

foie.jpeg

Edited by clo

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

If you show up an hour before closing around 7:45-8:00    There is lots of tables,  and they bring out even  better stuff  and thats the time the ships officers show up to dine...        Maybe 1 person ahead of you.     

What, to me is wonderful about the Terrace is that you can create a wonderful almost dim-sum type dining experience where you are  the chef de cuisine and can create meals unique to you. 

I love cooking and also fine cuisine ....the Terrace is perfect.   

I like to connect with the line cooks too and in doing so get them to tweek  things  ..... they  can work magic.     By and large they  will have available most things from all the restaurants  or can get it   

I will eat  in the terrace about 60-70% of the time because of the constant variety and variation.  It aint the Mass market  golden corral or Lubys  of the sea.....

To us, Terrace Cafe is nothing more than a cafeteria with tablecloths. I admire your ability to re-frame it into something special--but that just doesn't resonate for us.

Because he is on a low sodium diet (which Oceania accommodates incredibly well), DH completes his dinner menu a day in advance.  If we decide same day to eat in the Terrace, they will bring his dinner up from the GDR, which is wonderful.  That leaves me to stand alone in multiple lines while he has a meal in front of him. Not ideal.

Generally, the reason we eat in the Terrace is because we don't have enough time to eat in the GDR before an evening activity such as 8:30 Trivia.  Going to the Terrace at 7:45-8:00 wouldn't work.

Edited by Andee
typos

5 minutes ago, Andee said:

To us, Terrace Cafe is nothing more than a cafeteria with tablecloths. I admire your ability to re-frame it into something special--but that just doesn't resonate for us.

Because he is on a low sodium diet (which Oceania accommodates incredibly well), DH completes his dinner menu a day in advance.  If we decide same day to eat in the Terrace, they will bring his dinner up from the GDR, which is wonderful.  That leaves me to stand alone in multiple lines while he has a meal in front of him. Not ideal.

Generally, the reason we eat in the Terrace is because we don't have enough time to eat in the GDR before an evening activity such as 8:30 Trivia.  Going to the Terrace at 7:45-8:00 wouldn't work.

I guess I dont see it   as just a cafeteria....I see it as an outstanding  opportunity. to experiment and be creative.       I think your medical issues and tight scheduling  may have had an impact on your experience....Trying to eat in or be served from 2 different locations on the ship and with a special restrictive diet would be very difficult to be happy about.....  

We were on the Nautica from Capetown to Singapore.  At several ports the ship loaded up on local stuff.  They would have  a large board on a stand announcing specialty  items. Lso listed in the daily Currents. After one South African  stop they grilled game meats. You went to the grill station and asked for what you wanted.  Honestly,  they were overcooked and dry. I've had them in Capetown  before.

3 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

If you show up an hour before closing around 7:45-8:00    There is lots of tables,  and they bring out even  better stuff 

Do tell - what “better stuff” do they bring out later - what am I missing by eating at 6:30? 😁

I will say this thread is great too. We are only on a 7 day cruise and in port most of the time so not sure how it will affect my eating. Generally prefer a nice restaurant over a buffet but this thread has me looking forward to trying this at least once for dinner.

3 minutes ago, mdpa said:

I will say this thread is great too. We are only on a 7 day cruise and in port most of the time so not sure how it will affect my eating. Generally prefer a nice restaurant over a buffet but this thread has me looking forward to trying this at least once for dinner.

agreed this is a very informative thread 

5 minutes ago, mdpa said:

Ditto.  We only have one sea day and will be eating lunch every day on shore.  But, yeah, gotta check this out 🙂

Wife and I did our first Oceania cruise on the Riviera in March 2019.

We LOVED the Terrace for dinner.  Great quality, variety, and service.

Try it and see for yourself.

48 minutes ago, Nachosdelux said:

Did  you only do that venue?  And, if so, why not others?

1 hour ago, Nachosdelux said:

Our first will be in a couple days. I'm thinking we'll be eating there every night. We like to eat outside and don't like the drawn out dinners that seem to happen in the Dinning Room.

One more vote here for *not* eating in the Terrace. Did not like being shoved around by impatient and impolite people. The food was fine. The servers tried their best. But on every ship, every time, one trip to the Terrace was enough. It was the passenger behavior that became exasperating,

Strictly my personal opinion, to each his/her own. 

56 minutes ago, Jim and Monika said:

Our first will be in a couple days. I'm thinking we'll be eating there every night. We like to eat outside and don't like the drawn out dinners that seem to happen in the Dinning Room.

If you have a two-top and don't do a ton of courses I wouldn't think it would be terribly long.  I hope you'll try multiple venues and report back.  And don't forget the specialty restaurants!  🙂

Have you asked your Terrace waiter to send someone over for your drink order? Works every time for me.

Please stop telling everyone how great Terrace is; we have all our meals there with a few exceptions. That just encourages the rude ones to come.

I actually got shoved twice by the same woman so using the voice that nailed a generation of high schoolers said "stop. it .

now." Anyone who knows me knows that is extremely unusual. She did it to others-cultural I suppose.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Toranut97 said:

One more vote here for *not* eating in the Terrace. Did not like being shoved around by impatient and impolite people. The food was fine. The servers tried their best. But on every ship, every time, one trip to the Terrace was enough. It was the passenger behavior that became exasperating,

Strictly my personal opinion, to each his/her own. 

This was totally not our experience. Had it been, I am sure we may have opted to go to the GDR more than once.  Our one trip to the GDR was not impressive.  I guess it really depends on ship and clientele of that particular sailing.

Edited by riandei

6 minutes ago, riandei said:

This was totally not our experience. Had it been, I am sure we may have opted to go to the GDR more than once.  Our one trip to the GDR was not impressive.  I guess it really depends on ship and clientele of that particular sailing.

We've been on the Oasis of the Seas three times (and many other mega ships) and I'm thinking that the experience in the Terrace will be a little less "competitive" for our first Oceania Cruise on the Insignia in October.

+ 1 on page 1 poster who mentioned how much more crowded the Terrace on the R ship seems at peak hours.  On our first cruise on Marina in the South Pacific, the Terrace was our venue of choice  for most meals.  It was warm and pleasant sitting outside and did not seem overcrowded.  You also were still able to serve yourself which was a little faster-do not jump on me-being served and not having us all touch the food is safer and better which I prefer now (on last mass line cruise-still too many touching food and not enough hand cleaner to avoid problems).  Our next Marina cruise was in Northern Europe and even in summer, outside dining was not always as pleasant.

Our last cruise on Nautica was very nice but all venues were crowded at peak dining hours and all venues are smaller so we mostly only ate breakfast on the Terrace to get off the ship faster.  I guess we prefer the GDR when time is not an issue but the Terrace can be delightful and relaxing on the right ship in the right place.