Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ricka47

Terrace Cafe for Dinner?

Recommended Posts

I prefer being served dinner onboard but usually dine at the Terrace Cafe once or twice on a cruise because I love the grilled shrimp and lobster.  I post just to comment that for the first time ever while onboard Marina this past May on our Western Mediterranean cruise that the grill lines were very long.  My husband patiently waited around 15-20 minutes in line only to be told that they had just run out of the ribeye steak he planned to order.  This was at 7:20 pm!  We did not return there again for dinner on our cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

My husband patiently waited around 15-20 minutes in line only to be told that they had just run out of the ribeye steak he planned to order.  This was at 7:20 pm!  We did not return there again for dinner on our cruise.

Sorry to hear about this Pam - seems to be part of “new” Oceania.

This is among the reasons why we eat early.

We get a table we want, no lines (or we are near the front), everything is available and hot, get out in time for the show, etc, etc.

I know it’s not everyone’s choice but it works for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Sorry to hear about this Pam - seems to be part of “new” Oceania.

This is among the reasons why we eat early.

We get a table we want, no lines (or we are near the front), everything is available and hot, get out in time for the show, etc, etc.

I know it’s not everyone’s choice but it works for us.

Paul, we were there by 6:45, our table was great, I already had stood in a shortish line (the usual five or six) and had my dinner plate filled with grilled shrimp and lobster by 7 but spouse did appetizers and salad first so got stuck in a long line that never got shorter the rest of the time we were there, a consistent line of at least 15.  In contrast, the GDR never filled.  Perhaps a unicorn cruise? 

 

We love trivia, and there always was some at 8:30 pm so unless we were dining at a specialty, we too dined early enough to be in Martinis by then.

 

In fairness I should add that the food and service on this cruise were the best we ever have experienced on Oceania.

Edited by CintiPam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, CintiPam said:

I prefer being served dinner onboard but usually dine at the Terrace Cafe once or twice on a cruise because I love the grilled shrimp and lobster.  I post just to comment that for the first time ever while onboard Marina this past May on our Western Mediterranean cruise that the grill lines were very long.  My husband patiently waited around 15-20 minutes in line only to be told that they had just run out of the ribeye steak he planned to order.  This was at 7:20 pm!  We did not return there again for dinner on our cruise.

Sorry that happened. But I have to put such inconveniences I encounter in a larger context. Perhaps I am too sympathetic but I usually am just pleased to be on board and traveling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Noxequifans said:

Sorry that happened. But I have to put such inconveniences I encounter in a larger context. Perhaps I am too sympathetic but I usually am just pleased to be on board and traveling. 

 

That is the essence of of not only travel  but specific, for me, being on Oceania...

 

I think reactions based on a singular experience are perhaps short sighted.    I  had a flat tire the other day...  and got upset and vowed never  to drive again because it upset me.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

 

That is the essence of of not only travel  but specific, for me, being on Oceania...

 

I think reactions based on a singular experience are perhaps short sighted.    I  had a flat tire the other day...  and got upset and vowed never  to drive again because it upset me.   

I believe that if the last two posters read both my posts 76 and 78 above they would realize I simply was reporting my last experience at dinner in the Terrace Cafe.  My intent was to address the question asked by the OP regarding experiences at dinner at the Tereace Cafe.  We average a cruise a year on Oceania and thought our overall cruise experience just three months ago was excellent in both the food and service areas (see post 78 above) but running out of unfrozen steak before 7:30 pm I thought was worthy of note.

 

Dan, I certainly did not vow to never eat dinner at the Terrace Cafe or sail on Oceania again! 

Edited by CintiPam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

I believe that if the last two posters read both my posts 76 and 78 above they would realize I simply was reporting my last experience at dinner in the Terrace Cafe.  My intent was to address the question asked by the OP regarding experiences at dinner at the Tereace Cafe.  We average a cruise a year on Oceania and thought our overall cruise experience just three months ago was excellent in both the food and service areas (see post 78 above) but running out of unfrozen steak before 7:30 pm I thought was worthy of note.

 

Dan, I certainly did not vow to never eat dinner at the Terrace Cafe or sail on Oceania again! 

Pam  I hoped you  took my comment with the humor  it was intended....     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

 

I think reactions based on a singular experience are perhaps short sighted.    I  had a flat tire the other day...  and got upset and vowed never  to drive again because it upset me.   

Humor?  OK, in that case, haha! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We usually go to the Terrace at 6:30 when it opens and have sushi and appetizers. Then we go to dinner in the GDR. If the weather is nice and the entrees look good, we often just finish dinner at the Terrace. Any time I can have unlimited sushi everyday I am a very happy camper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Sorry to hear about this Pam - seems to be part of “new” Oceania.

 

15 hours ago, CintiPam said:

In fairness I should add that the food and service on this cruise were the best we ever have experienced on Oceania.

Well..PaulChili, it looks as though the "new" Oceania is actually better than ever based on CintiPam's full explanation of her experience. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, edgee said:

NORO seems to happen just as often on Oceania ships with all the "precautions" in their non self serve buffet than it does on cruise lines with full self service buffets such as Crystal. Out of 40+ cruises on a number of cruise lines the only NORO we experienced was on Oceania Marina. 

This was also our experience. With over thirty years of cruising on about 10 different cruise lines our only case of noro was on Marina .  I think ours was spread at least partially by a "Typhoid Mary" in the Terrace Cafe staff. I would often go to her station in the morning. When I came back after three days of quarantine she asked me where I'd been and then told me that she had come down with it before I did and had just been cleared to go back to work two days before.

 

Management's handling of the situation was so incompetent that one assistant maitre d' actually quit during the middle of the cruise.

 

Earlier this year I had a long discussion about my experience with a physician employed by another cruise line in the same corporate family and he was very critical of how both Marina's medical staff and general management handled the situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

 

Well..PaulChili, it looks as though the "new" Oceania is actually better than ever based on CintiPam's full explanation of her experience. 😊

For us, the combination of good food plus good service really affects our view.  After a rapid fleet expansion, we had quite a few cruises with the good food but definitely not the good service.  Then we had a Riviera noroviris experience that not only cut our cruise by two days out of ten but was so mishandled on board and upon our return to Miami from a communication point of view, including our CD Dottie, that we almost did not return to Oceania taking almost 20 months off.

 

Husband prefers the two “O” size ships so we have not sailed on an Oceania “R” ship since 2011 when Marina debuted.  However, our Crystal-only friends took a Western Mediterranean cruise last month on Sirena and absolutely loved their experience!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

 Then we had a Riviera noroviris experience that not only cut our cruise by two days out of ten but was so mishandled on board and upon our return to Miami from a communication point of view, including our CD Dottie, that we almost did not return to Oceania taking almost 20 months off.

If you read my post immediately after the one you're quoting, you'll see my comments on the total bungling of a noro situation on a Marina cruise we took. This seems to be a systemic problem on Oceania...and we haven't gone back since that one either, but that's not to say we might not in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Well..PaulChili, it looks as though the "new" Oceania is actually better than ever based on CintiPam's full explanation of her experience. 😊

Glad to hear that the food was “better than ever” however, there is more to a cruise experience than just food (although we weight food quality heavily)

48 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

For us, the combination of good food plus good service really affects our view.  After a rapid fleet expansion, we had quite a few cruises with the good food but definitely not the good service.

As Pam states, it’s the combination of good food and good service (as well as the  overall experience) that makes the cruise a great one or just a good one.

IMO, the “new” Oceania is not quite up to the “old” Oceania overall but still suits us better than any other line all things considered (so far). Seabourn comes close second.

Edited by Paulchili

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...