Prawns and scallops in main dining room?

latebuyer

2 hours ago, christinand said:

I'm wondering if prawns and scallops are served in the main dining room at all? I love prawns and scallops!

The y serve prawns,  shrimp but in all my HAL  cruises, I do not recall seeing scallops on a HAL MDR  dinner   menu.      I recently  bought sea scallops to make for dinnner and whoa   ,t hey are running very pricey now.  🙂

They are so good   grilled in light amount of butter

image.png.43db3bbc3949a625ebc83fd8c9c1d39f.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, christinand said:

Thanks, good to know there are prawns at least.

Do  you   have a big box stores near you, a   good well stocked grocery store?     THEY all sell bags of a ll sizes shrimp.     Most shrimp eaten in U.S   have been frozen.  I can   and do  buy   shrimp in the seafood case in a number of markets in my area . 

Seeing you seem to enjoy them so much, why  wait  to cruise in order to eat  shrimp ?

image.png.22de5adc7c51d50ec05f22bde2993dbc.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Get yourself some and don't  wait  to cruise

13 minutes ago, christinand said:

I don't find the frozen prawns taste as good as what you get in a restaurant. For me, i like to have prawns only occasionally as a special thing. I feel i enjoy them more. Besides my cruise is end of september!

HAL uses frozen prawns (and all meat and seafood).  But, they do an excellent job of it.  Most of the time we can't really tell that it is all from frozen, except for the small scallops which are terminally watery.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Good to know. I find the quality of prawns and scallops vary a lot. If you are ever in victoria for a cruise there is a restaurant called il terazzo that has this great pasta dish with bacon and seared scallops. The scallops are sooo good.

2 minutes ago, christinand said:

Good to know. I find the quality of prawns and scallops vary a lot. If you are ever in victoria for a cruise there is a restaurant called il terazzo that has this great pasta dish with bacon and seared scallops. The scallops are sooo good.

Been a long time, but nice to know Il Terazzo is still there!

48 minutes ago, christinand said:

Might have to try it for lunch in October!

2 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

HAL uses frozen prawns (and all meat and seafood).  But, they do an excellent job of it.  Most of the time we can't really tell that it is all from frozen, except for the small scallops which are terminally watery.

O P:  They have to be defrosted properly  .    Research  on  line t o be sure you are handling t,  the shrimp in  the best way  AND.   of course,       They  put the directions on  their packaging      for a reason.

Most  shrimp     eaten   in U.S. have been frozen.  (fllash?)

Research    if you think me mistaken.

image.png.726e985dcbf37bd9f19171b71ae011b0.png

Edited by sail7seas

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

Been a long time, but nice to know Il Terazzo is still there!

Will they omit the bacon?   I don't care for   it   and do not eat bacon.

15 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Even fresh, the small scallops tend to be watery. If a restaurant menu doesn't specifically say "sea scallops" or "diver scallops," then I ask because I won't waste my money on the little "bay scallops."

I can get fresh large scallops where I live, and as Sail said, they're pricey. But soo good!

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Even fresh, the small scallops tend to be watery. If a restaurant menu doesn't specifically say "sea scallops" or "diver scallops," then I ask because I won't waste my money on the little "bay scallops."

I can get fresh large scallops where I live, and as Sail said, they're pricey. But soo good!

Maybe: ??

Bsy scallops  are  the large ones and   the small are sea scallops .  I think   but am   not exactly sure.

image.png.86f2ef31ef549428bee1495709f8ec4b.png

aail.noordam@gmail.com

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

6 hours ago, Langoustine said:

6 hours ago, Langoustine said:

Told   'ya, I wasn't sure...   and I was not kidding    🙂   🤣

• 1 month later...

I meant t respond there wasn't a lot of prawns on the cruise i was on. There was prawns and steak on gala night that was very good. There was prawn cocktail and a prawn mussel hot pot for the seafood buffet. I saw more shrimp on the menu. I had a good piece of halibut and salmon. I like prawns as a treat anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

I am confused if everyone is talking about prawns or shrimp (two different species).

I have had shrimp on HAL, but never prawn. 

If the shell, head, and appendages/etc., have all been removed, how does one know which it is?

I've never really understood that. I don't think it is simply that "size matters"... :classic_wink:

GC

I find that wild caught and organic shrimp that is frozen and raw comes out best when I do shrimp at home.  

Oosterdam in Jan '19 one of the MDR dinner entrees was Shrimp and Scallop Coconut Red Curry, black sticky rice, fava bean

think I ordered that, as I seem to remember playing my favorite "game" with scallops... did they remove the side-muscle (which I don't think they did - almost nobody seems to make the effort to remove the foot).  If my memory about the scallops is accurate, they would have been at least halfway decent size in order to have a foot large enough to notice.  If you're really curious, I posted the menus