Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
mdpa

Favorite foods onboard

Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone,

 

We'll be on our first Oceania cruise to Bermuda this month....just two weeks away.

 

What foods should I try?

 

From what I have already gleaned:

 

- surf and turf sandwich

- french croissant 

 

Your help and advice is appreciated!

 

--

Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not thought to ask, are O's lobsters from Maine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mdpa said:

We'll be on our first Oceania cruise to Bermuda this month....just two weeks away.

 

I assume you already made your specialty restaurant reservations?  We're traveling on O in December and I want seared foie gras regularly 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mdpa said:

We'll be on our first Oceania cruise to Bermuda this month....just two weeks away.

 

I assume you already made your specialty restaurant reservations?  We're traveling on O in December and I want seared foie gras regularly 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mdpa said:

Hi Everyone,

 

We'll be on our first Oceania cruise to Bermuda this month....just two weeks away.

 

What foods should I try?

 

From what I have already gleaned:

 

- surf and turf sandwich

- french croissant 

 

Your help and advice is appreciated!

 

--

Doug

All the baked goods are exceptional. My favorite  bread item is pictured below. My DW always laughs when I make a sandwich out of some of whatever I ordered for dinner.

 

You haven't identified which ship you are on and that affects my preferences. 

 

The surf and turf sandwich in Waves is certainly good. But, I'm hoping you want something a bit more exotic than that (or the steaks in Polo).

 

On the O ships (or Sirena), head straight for Red Ginger and have the spicy duck and watermelon salad as well as the Miso glazed sea bass or Panang Beef.

 

In Toscana, I almost always have a childhood favorite: Aragosta Fra Diavolo. If, however, you're on Sirena (where Toscana and Polo are combined as Tuscan Steak to make way for the only Red Ginger on any of the R ships), you will need to ask for the Aragosta ahead of time.

 

Oceania has some wonderful dishes with reasonably complex preps (particularly in Jacques). As good as the grilled meats and seafood are all over the ship, you should really focus on things to can't or don't usually do at home.

IMG_8570.JPG

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, we reserved Tuscana on our first night and Polo for our third night. I've only had foie gras once but it didn't do much for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

My favorite  bread item is pictured below.

My husband is a bread hound and he's going to love that.

 

We absolutely follow the rule of not ordering something in a restaurant that we can cook as well or better at home.  Steak being one of those.  But they have all manner of 'steak.' 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, mdpa said:

Yes, we reserved Tuscana on our first night and Polo for our third night. I've only had foie gras once but it didn't do much for me.

Seared?  Like this?

$

$

Sheesh let me try one more time to post this photo!

I ask because there was someone on this site that kept getting this confused with pate'.  But regardless, enjoy it all.

$.jpeg

Edited by clo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, we will be on one of the R ships, Insignia so will be limited to Tuscana or Polo for specialties. I am looking for interesting items that ideally have not personally tried before.

 

On Silversea people would brag about Dover Sole or Duck Ragout. They also would make almost anything on request with 24 hours notice. Example: I had one server from India and asked for an Indian meal and another server from Singapore and they each created a unique dinner based on their favorites. I don't believe this is an option on Oceania but still interested in those "not miss" items.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mdpa said:

Dover Sole

I've read that some or all the O ships have it.  And I love it 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

people will give  what they like   to eat  it may not be something you will eat 

so just try whatever appeals to you 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have my favorites but that doesn't mean they will be yours ...

 

If you are on an R ship (I think you are but I'm too lazy to back up) in Polo I love the prime rib and the shrimp cocktail.  In Toscana I like the rib chop.

 

Not to mention other things ...

 

We like just about anything in Waves and I just adore the smoothies ...

 

In Terrace for dinner I will head first to the grill to see what is available.  Then I check on the daily specials.

 

Mura

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I like their baked goods - particularly their baguettes and croissants (plain,chocolate or almond) and the breads in Toscana. Jumbo shrimp in Polo is truly jumbo and very good - just the right texture; I also like the crab cake which is a lot of crab and little to no bread crumbs. 

In Polo I like the steamed lobster or prime rib; in Toscana the lobster Fra Diavolo (but I get it with garlic butter sauce as I do not like tomatoes) or breaded veal (ask for 1/2 portion or else share as it is HUGE).

By far my favorite is Jacques which unfortunately you will not have as an option.😪

Enjoy!

PS One of my all times favorites is sadly no more - wonderful chunky lobster salad that they used to have regularly at Terrace (probably from left-over cooked lobster tails from the day before?).

I REALLY miss it.

Edited by Paulchili

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We agree Paul ... again!  Love the breads wherever they are.  Jacques is our favorite specialty, and as you say -- not really available on the "R" ships except occasional dishes.

 

I do wish Jacques would bring back the mussels, but I can see where most of the time they are hard to obtain.

 

Mura

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, clo said:

I want seared foie gras regularly

When I see foie gras - hot or cold  - you’d better get out of the way 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

When I see foie gras - hot or cold  - you’d better get out of the way 😁

I've never had cold foie gras.  I've had the pate', terrine, etc.  Which I like but the real deal makes my heart go pitter patter 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I also like the crab cake which is a lot of crab and little to no bread crumbs. 

I make one like that - Baltimore style - that's ridiculously good.  Even my toddler grandkids liked it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, clo said:

I've had the pate', terrine, etc.

Yes - that is what I meant - just too lazy to spell it out (wouldn’t like cold sautéed foie gras)

Jacques’ pate is as smooth as silk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, clo said:

I've never had cold foie gras.  I've had the pate', terrine, etc.  Which I like but the real deal makes my heart go pitter patter

 

It's going to make your heart do more than that.  One ounce of foie gras has 12 grams of fat and 42 grams of cholesterol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, clo said:

Seared?  Like this?

$

$

Sheesh let me try one more time to post this photo!

I ask because there was someone on this site that kept getting this confused with pate'.  But regardless, enjoy it all.

$.jpeg

Love love love this!!!!!! When in Nice at our condo there is a little restaurant we always will go to so many times during the week and the foie  gras was to die for! I’m a little piggie when it comes to this wonderful delicacy Denise😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Love love love this!!!!!! When in Nice at our condo there is a little restaurant we always will go to so many times during the week and the foie  gras was to die for! I’m a little piggie when it comes to this wonderful delicacy Denise😊

When I was turning 65 was when the Great State of California decided to ban it.  We were doing a house exchange in Sonoma and I went to the only place in the state who produceD if and bought two whole lobes.  Cut each in half, wrapped solidly and froze.  It lasted about 10 months.  And don't get me started on that subject 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

 

It's going to make your heart do more than that.  One ounce of foie gras has 12 grams of fat and 42 grams of cholesterol.

Oh come on.  I have a motto of "everything in moderation including moderation."  If I have a few ounces of foie three times a year I think I'm good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, clo said:

When I was turning 65 was when the Great State of California decided to ban it.  We were doing a house exchange in Sonoma and I went to the only place in the state who produceD if and bought two whole lobes.  Cut each in half, wrapped solidly and froze.  It lasted about 10 months.  And don't get me started on that subject 😞

I hear you clo!!!!! 

We have a specialty small food store that I buy most of my food at. Before the ban it was a regular item which I would buy and had a great recipe where I would sear it and omg with a good wine was perfection! 

Pricey than but now with air fare to Nice what can I say it is really pricey LOL!!!

Thanks for the memory 

Denise😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Denise

If you cook it, grill some peaches.  A chef friend recommended this and it's wonderful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...