Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Djsmrs

CocoCay Snorkel on your own?

Recommended Posts

Has anyone done the “Cococay all day snorkeling at your leisure” excursion?   I’m wondering if anyone can go snorkel in that area (we have  own gear) or are participants taken somewhere off shore?

 

We have an all day cabana at the water slides so I’m not inclined to pay for all day snorkelling - but my son is snorkel-crazy so I’m keen to get him an opportunity to have some time in the water with something to see.

 

thanks in advance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no charge for snorkeling if you bring your own equipment. You can just walk into the water and snorkel whenever you want. There are a couple wrecks further off shore. Not sure how to give you directions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Djsmrs said:

Has anyone done the “Cococay all day snorkeling at your leisure” excursion?   I’m wondering if anyone can go snorkel in that area (we have  own gear) or are participants taken somewhere off shore?

 

We have an all day cabana at the water slides so I’m not inclined to pay for all day snorkelling - but my son is snorkel-crazy so I’m keen to get him an opportunity to have some time in the water with something to see.

 

thanks in advance 

 

We've been able to snorkel wherever we want on Coco Cay , using our own equipment.  From what I read about the Coco Cay changes, this is still the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

 

We've been able to snorkel wherever we want on Coco Cay , using our own equipment.  From what I read about the Coco Cay changes, this is still the case.

Still the case when we were there in July. They did "shrink" the snorkel area a bit from what it used to be. The lifeguards wouldn't let people snorkel all the way out to where the sunken plane was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot to mention, but they do require that everyone who is snorkeling wears a snorkel vest. They will rent just the vest if you don't have one, but we always bring our own with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The best snorkeling is amongst the coral rocks at the entrance to the coves.  Many fish and octopus, etc.  Rays and some baby sharks are on the south side among the sea grass.

 

Don't worry, they are really little and you can stay away from them...just get out of the water if you see one:

 

Edited by BecciBoo
insertion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, orville99 said:

Forgot to mention, but they do require that everyone who is snorkeling wears a snorkel vest. They will rent just the vest if you don't have one, but we always bring our own with us.

 

Don't know if the policy has changed, but the last time we were at Coco Cay, they gave out the snorkel vests for free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...