Picture-A-Week 2019 - Week 32

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, August 5 and Sunday, August 11.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

This is from a place called Discovery Harbour a site build during the War of 1812, the tall ship is a replica of the HMS Tecumseth which was pulled out of the harbour in 1953.

DSC_7182.JPG

DSC_7185.JPG

DSC_7192 Stitch.jpg

• Like 1

We have some squirrels who like to eat bread after eating their peanuts and sunflower seeds.  Sometimes a bunny will join them.  I haven't made it to the kitchen to catch him eating the bread.

enhance

enhance

enhance

And we have a lazy squirrel who prefers to drink from the small bird bath rather than the large one.

enhance

• Like 2

Well, the rain and wind had eased.  Although it is very nasty outside now.

I had planned a trip about an hour out of Melbourne, but the roads were closed in that area because of snow, ice and fallen trees.

This photo is from the Mt Hotham site. It is about 4 hours drive, but roads closed.

image.png.9ea19b9fa3f12dad4ef60fdcf07e210c.png

Anyway, i had a nice stroll around the waterfront and found a family of swans for you to enjoy.

1250107076_Swanfamily1.thumb.jpg.9ff8eb7d9db45abb8a2d77a20d1b168a.jpg

1376735675_SwanDrink.thumb.jpg.086705a81b6dee823632c5bd8b752924.jpg

I am a native Californian and since In-N-Out hamburgers pre-date me by several years, I have never lived in a place that didn’t have one within driving distance. However, since my upbringing didn’t include a lot of dining out, it wasn’t until my mid-teen years that I discovered the iconic Double-double. Since that moment, it has been my favorite fast-food burger. By far. Never frozen burgers frying on the grille as somebody runs potatoes through the french fry cutter is a constant dance at a typical location. Waiting in a line of 20 cars for a box of blessed meatiness and driving home while swiping a couple of fries from the bag almost makes The People’s Republic of California worth living in!

That's What It's All About

p3554335199-5.jpg

Dave

• Like 2

Ouch Dave.  That one hurts.  Living just about as far away from the nearest In-N-Out as is possible, down here in South Florida, I have serious miss when it comes to those double-doubles and fresh cut fries.  Having moved away in 1994, and having last had an In-N-Out burger in 2001 on a trip to Vegas (I actually had it on my list of must-see sights and do's, where a co-worker and also former Californian and I agreed we were going to track one down no matter what...fortunately it was just a few blocks from Ceasar's)...I find your photo very cruel.

I've tried just about every 'as good as In-N-Out' burger joint that's popped up here, and there are a lot of them - BurgerFi, Shake Shack, Five Guys, and many more - not one can match it...and that's not even to mention the price (most of these new fresh never frozen burger joints are $7-10 per burger, $2-4 more for the fries...whereas In-N-Out Double Double is way down at $3.45 and $1.60 for fries.  Higher than it used to cost in my day ($2.25), but still way below inflation and competitors.

To summarize, Dave...you suck.  Unless you can air-ship me some In-N-Out burgers for same-day delivery by dinner time tomorrow night.

You wound me, Justin. I feel so hurt that the only way I can think of to get over your verbal attack is to drive down to one of the three In-N-Outs within 10 minutes of here and drown my sorrows with a burger, fries (maybe Animal Style) and since I "suck", maybe one of those shakes (made with real ice cream) to suck on.

🙂

Dave

• Haha 1

On 8/15/2019 at 9:48 AM, zackiedawg said:

Ouch Dave.  That one hurts.  Living just about as far away from the nearest In-N-Out as is possible, down here in South Florida, I

Darn it Dave! The nearest In-N-Out is about 2,500 miles away.

Will be staying overnight next month in a Best Western near the San Francisco airport - looking for the nearest In-N-Out!

19 hours ago, tommui987 said:

Darn it Dave! The nearest In-N-Out is about 2,500 miles away.

Will be staying overnight next month in a Best Western near the San Francisco airport - looking for the nearest In-N-Out!

1.3 miles from the Best Western on So Camino Real.....

Dave

Late to the posts for this 'week' of photos - I finally got around to downloading and sorting 3 weekends worth of shots from my camera - as the summer is brutal and hot, I don't shoot as many birds each trip to the wetlands, so I might come home with 50-80 shots - and I just save them up and shoot another weekend or two before I bother to download.

Anyway, here are some shots from both the wetlands, and from my swimming pool in the backyard afterwards, from August 10th:

Cute little pied-billed grebe in the still waters:

original.jpg

A white peacock butterfly:

original.jpg

There are BIFs, and then there are DIFs...in this case, dragonflies in flight.  Here, one of the X-wing fighters was aiming directly at me:

original.jpg

A female anhinga, sitting on a wet log after a brief rainshower:

original.jpg

A green heron, standing up on the rail watching me:

original.jpg

A 'dole' of doves, taken from my swimming pool as I cooled off in the backyard - flying in for the bird seed I had just laid out:

original.jpg

• Like 2

I am also late to the party.  From a trip to Scottsdale, AZ.

Anna's Hummingbird (I may have posted it on another thread):

A%20DSC_6310%20Crop.jpg

I hiked a few trails in the Sonoran Desert.  It is really hard, for me at least, to portray the beauty, even in the middle of summer, of the desert.

A%20AZ%20Sonoran%20Resv-08-09-2019-259.j

A%20AZ%20Sonoran%20Resv-08-09-2019-203.j

A neat looking cactus in the complex where we were staying:

A%20Desert%20Oasis%20Cactus%20DSC_7253.j

Ken

• Like 2