Library Book Policy

InkByte

24 minutes ago, InkByte said:

Does anyone happen to know if you find a book in the ship’s library that you want to keep, can you donate one of your own in return? 

Thank you!

I have no idea about policy, but I too have left books and have taken one or two home (not two at a time).  I don't think the library is their biggest priority, especially since the areas are becoming smaller and smaller, and the space being used for other activities.  

I have on occasion taken donated books if I am in the middle of reading them. I more than make up for it because I bring and leave a fair amount on board. I have never taken any books that are owned by Princess,  that is stealing.That is probably the reason that Princess' libraries on board are so bare. Princess can't keep buying books for people to  take home with them.

• Like 4

There are two types of books in the library.  Ones that are marked with letters and shown inside as Princess Library are only for use on board and should not be taken home.

Those that are in marked shelves as passenger books are fine to read, return or take home if not finished.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, InkByte said:

Does anyone happen to know if you find a book in the ship’s library that you want to keep, can you donate one of your own in return? 

Thank you!

Would you think of doing this in your public library.  I doubt it.  If you wouldn't do it in your public library, why should you do it on a ship?

DON

• Like 2

I'm waiting for the day when Princess has downloadable books from their own server and not have to be concerned about people not returning them.

The way things are going the libraries are getting smaller every year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, InkByte said:

Thank you!

NO stealing.  Return read books back to the ships library.

And if you want to donate your book(s) to the ships library, I’m sure they would welcome that.

What I do not understand is why some  PAXs feel entitled to take home books from the ships library.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I'm waiting for the day when Princess has downloadable books from their own server and not have to be concerned about people not returning them.

Even electronic books must be returned so others may read them. Public libraries each have a specific number of copies of each book available. Once they are all checked out,  others can not borrow it until one i returned. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paul929207 said:

Even electronic books must be returned so others may read them. Public libraries each have a specific number of copies of each book available. Once they are all checked out,  others can not borrow it until one i returned. 

Although I don’t know the details, I’m sure there are license costs associated with the loaning of the books.  I use my public library and don’t pay directly to borrow ebooks but I have no doubt that a small portion of my municipal taxes are going to the city library to support this.  I don’t foresee a day when Princess will be providing access to ebooks, and certainly not without a charge.

BTW, I still prefer hard copy as I find them easier to read especially in a sunny location.  I will typically leave a book or two in the ship’s library and have seldom taken one off.

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I think the libraries are smaller because many are downloading books to their readers . Book stores are  becoming extinct on land.

• Like 4

Unless the book is one of those someone has donated and it specifically says take one, leave one, then no.  Imagine if everyone took home one of the 'regular' library books and left behind some used paperback--which is what is usually in that section?  

No wonder ship libraries are getting more and more skimpy.

I check the take one leave one area of the library quite often but most are paperbacks.  I would never think of taking one of the hard cover library books home.  I was very disappointed in the size of the library on the New Royal.  It was so small and they had more games than books to borrow so I guess the library is going to be eliminated some time in the future.  Such a shame.  Princess was one of the only cruise lines that still maintained a fairly nice library for those of us who love to sit out on the balcony or on the Promenade and relax and read a good book.

• Like 1

My first check when we board is the section where passengers leave their own books to snag one that looks good and leave whatever I finished while traveling.  Then look through the Princess Library books for something good, but always read those first and return them.

10 hours ago, InkByte said:

Thank you!

if you find a book you like, go home and buy it... no exchange program exist.   the books are purchase for passenger use on board only. 

11 hours ago, InkByte said:

Thank you!

No exchanges, you can donate, it is a real library it is not  a lending library.  In fact on HAL ships  they have indicated they are shutting the libraries down due to people “borrowing” books off the ship.  

Edited by Lido deck main

17 hours ago, paul929207 said:

That's very true but they could certainly limit the number of days that the book could be checked out, whereas an inconsiderate person might hold a book for the entire cruise not thinking if someone else might want it.

Recently in a ships library I saw two books by same author. Saw that one was basically same characters in second book.Not to be a hog, took just the first one. It was a mystery book and was great. Read it in two days. Then went back for number 2. Not there. A two week cruise. Checked every day and book 2 not there. Last day of cruise, still not there. Morning end of cruise, not there. We stayed on for another one week cruise and that book never showed up.Fortunately found in my public library.

If people want to steal, at least wait till the end of cruise. I can't imagine someone taking two weeks to read a book that I read in 2 days. I always bring my kindle and it is always loaded with books. However, I have discovered new authors by checking out the ship's library books so I always do that  too.

1 hour ago, san diego sue said:

can't imagine someone taking two weeks to read a book that I read in 2 days.

You're making the assumption that they care if anyone else want to read the book. Many just want it to hold a deck chair near the pool. :classic_rolleyes:

When I first cruised with Princess in 2007, a time was posted in the library when a staffer would be available to check-out books, with the glass-fronted book cases locked at all other times.  I remember being surprised a few years later when it was changed, and it seems that the library book-stock has shrunk steadily from then.  I don't do e-books, so one of our first stops when we get on-board is the library.

I''m great with the passenger-book swaps (excellent recycling!), but taking a cruise-line library book home at the end of a cruise is a no-go.

• Like 1