Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
MooNGaTe27

arrival time to the Port of Charleston

Is this something new where the earliest time to check in at Charleston is 12:00. We did out check at 12:05am the 1st day we could check in & the earliest check in time was 12pm. This is strange to me because the ship is leaving port at 4pm

Has any one used this port recently I thought we could check in after 11am .Also 2 people in our group have 12:30 to 1 while we all have 12-12:30 will they be able to check in with us ?

I just recently sailed out of Charleston but we had FTTF.  

We arrived at the entrance of the parking lot at 10:35.

By 11am we had not only already boarded but stopped by our room to drop our luggage and were the first people at Ji Ji.

The check in process seemed to be extremely organized.

The reason for arrival times on all Carnival ships is so that every passenger doesn't show up at the same time, i.e. the earliest time slot.  If you selected your arrival time shortly after you were able to do so beginning at midnight Eastern time 90 days before you sail, you probably got the earliest time slot.  Arrival appointments are based on cabin, not group.  You could, of course board later with them, but they probably won't be allowed to board early with you.

Are you asking if the boarding time for your friends can be the same as yours?  The answer is NO.  You could wait to board with them. But noone is let in 'early'

I am leaving on the Sunshin September 7th and I have an 11:30 time slot.  No FTTF.  I will be getting there at 11pm and getting all the drop off stuff done and waiting in line.  Very excited.

14 hours ago, sassy~one said:

Are you asking if the boarding time for your friends can be the same as yours?  The answer is NO.  You could wait to board with them. But noone is let in 'early'

This has not been my experience. Since Carnival changed their check-in process, every port I have cruised from has had an “EARLY/late line” for people who show up outside their assigned check-in window. However, I have not cruised out of every port in the USA recently, so I can’t say this applies to every port. 

14 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

This has not been my experience. Since Carnival changed their check-in process, every port I have cruised from has had an “EARLY/late line” for people who show up outside their assigned check-in window. However, I have not cruised out of every port in the USA recently, so I can’t say this applies to every port. 

The whole group could join the early/late line and board together. Just be aware that that line is processed on an as available basis! You could get on a "little early" or a "little late"! Since we are talking about prime time boarding, I would guess it would lean toward a "little late". I would keep my assigned check in time and meet up on the ship!!

Garth2 I don't think you are right about how appointment times are assigned .I'm platinum in a suite & I still got 12 to 12:30. So  skridge could you let me know what happen when you went 9/7. 

I think the thing I think is strange is the 12 to 12:30 time when the ship leaves port at 4pm.There are 2 other groups that are also leaving on that day where they tried to get appointment times at 12:01 on the 1st day we could check in & they were also given 12 to 12: 30 So if we arrive early can we check in but may have to wait to board ship ??

Just got back from out August 5th sailing. Was with a group of 12, all with faster to the fun, and 1/2 the group first time cruisers. As they were first timers, they didn’t want to listen to my advice, and as I was with a group I had to go with the flow. We arrived at the port around 9am to park. It was way too early to be let in, so the driver parked on a side street and we sat in the car (didn’t pay the meter as we would just drive away if cop pulled up). Many others had the same idea and as it was a Monday morning no issues. The gate guard told us parking would open at 10:30, but they ended up opening at 10am. Parking went smooth and you pay and drop off checked luggage before you park, checked in quick at building 1, and had to wait in chairs. Around 10:45 they began calling fttf to board the busses to building 2 to go through security and board the ship. It went fast there as well and I had dropped off my luggage with the fttf perks and was eating a guys burger at 11:30.

On 8/5/2019 at 5:12 PM, sassy~one said:

Have to disagree. We have never failed to be on board earlier than our check in time. We always arrive around 10-10:30 and always board right after FTTF regardless of our check in time. This has been in Charleston, Port Canaveral (twice), Miami,, and New Orleans. Disclaimer: No one was delayed or otherwise affected by our early arrival. Had they told us to wait we would have waited but that has never happened yet. I do know some people get thrown in the naughty area for doing it but I attribute our success to clean living. 😉

Charleston is a rather "different" port than most others, though.  Since they have to use a small, one-level building, everyone has to be off the ship, picked up their luggage, and through customs before they can convert the building over to receiving arriving pax.  Plus, now that they have a larger ship in port, all the parking is outside.  According to a recent review thread, they now have you check in at one of the warehouses that used to be used for parking, then bus you over to the building at the pier where you go through security.

It is still necessary (even more so because there are so many more pax) to stagger the arrival because they simply don't have the space to pack in a huge amount of people waiting to board.

The earliest time I could get for our Bermuda sailing was 12:30-1:00, and I did my online check in just after I made final payment (a week before it was due).  I anticipate arriving before then and know that I will be able to board when they begin. 

But for the folks who are not Plat/Diamond or purchase FTTF, you really need to arrive at the time that you select.